Chapala.com Webboard

Lakeside Express - please pass the word

Hello to all of our wonderful friends Lakeside from your friends at Lakeside Express.

I am sorry to report that Jim is continuing to decline and I think the doctors are trying to prepare me for the worst. He has some sort of virus in his brain (not a stroke) as was determined in Mexico. I continue to drive 140 miles each day, (70 miles and 2 hours each way) to visit him and each day is met with utter sadness. The V.A. hospital here in Atlanta is something else to say the least.

I need some help and advise from all of you that care about us. I most likely will have to sell our home in Ajijic if things do not improve soon. If I have to return and clean out our home I will be needing boxes and packing materials. I will be most likely trying to pack up 2 computers, our kitchen wares, clothes, and some misc. pottery pieces that are very dear to me/us and anything else I can squeeze in to our Ford pickup with small camper shell and maybe...just maybe another small pickup. I would be taking these items initially to a storage room in New Mexico until I figure out where life will take me.

The other thing I would like help with if possible is does anyone have any suggestions other than attempting to haul these things myself back across the border? I know nothing about the local moving services and their websites are pretty vague. Does anyone do this personally and/or are they reliable and trustworthy?

I would also be curious about what I should do with all of the things I will have to leave behind and either donate or try and get to a consignment operation.

I am certainly not giving up on Jim but I need to be prepared for the worst right now based on what I have been told by the doctors. Ajijic was supposed to be our home for the rest of our lives but unfortunately I am only 53 and will not even begin to qualify for social security for quite some time therefore I will be forced to get back in to the workplace somehow...somewhere.

Any ideas, advise, or suggestions would be much appreciated. As far as Lakeside Express goes...I truly don't know if I can sell it or will just have to let it go and remember what a great niche we had for 10 plus years and all of the wonderful people we met along our journey. It is all very sad.

Thank you to all of you for your continued support, prayers, and emails of encouragement. It is all that keeps me going right now.

Sincerely,

Don

I

Don, if the worst does occur and you need to come down to close up, you will not be alone. You will have the help you need to get done what you must. It will happen one step at a time, one foot in front of the other. Trust in that. All the resources you need in people, knowledge and materials are here and will be available to you.

Don't forget that we have a lot of professional drivers down here. Their services include driving your car to the border, either with you as a passenger or on their own. Another option would be a caravan with the professional driver in their own car and you in yours, if you needed the extra room.

Thinking of you and Jim. Be strong.

For arranging a garage sale on some of your items: Julie Hensley has one nearly weekly. The thrift stores across from the OXXO in Riberas does consignment. Barbara's Bazaar on 16 Septiembre also takes small and large items on consignment.

Hope this helps. Wishing you well.

Having lost a partner myself, my best advice is "take it one step at a time" (no multitasking!), lean on your friends (they are ready to help), don't make any sudden moves (make one decision at a time, and take a day or three to think it over), keep a to-do list, prioritize it, and check off one item at a time. I know, all these points are obvious, but the to-do list can be overwhelming if you do not take things one day at a time. And rest and eat! It is all too easy to neglect oneself. Okay, enough preaching, take care and keep in touch.

JayBear11 and Computerguy have given you good advice.

There is no need to panic and perhaps regret those hasty decisions later.

Get the fridge emptied, cleaned and unplugged...get the property secured. Walk away.

Grieve, mourn, breathe, eat, sleep, recoup. It's harder than you think. Take your time and let friends help.

You will, of course, do as you please but please consider the advice if you can.

To Don and Jim: I just saw this today after wondering what was happening when I had gone to your website. I'm so terribly sorry to read of Jim's declining health. I can't think of anything more devastating than watching someone you love slip away. Thank you for all you've done for the ex-pat community. You're both in my thoughts.

Archived