Chapala.com Webboard

Lakeside Express - please pass the word

I promised Don I would post here about their business: Jim is having terrible health problems, and Don is struggling valiantly to handle everything at home plus the delivery service. He has posted on their website (http://lakesideexpress.com/costco/) that they won't be able to fulfill any orders this week, and I think as Jim's situation appears to be getting more difficult, that might be true for a while.

I've seen the lists of medications and care steps that are required on a daily basis, and I don't know how Don has managed thus far. Everything going wrong at the same time, too: the website not sending confirmations about orders, their email system and banking going down all at once, their contacts list being lost then found... my thoughts are with Don and Jim.

Don and Jim--great people--I have used their services down thru the years and they have always been such very nice people, a joy to deal with. I am so very very sorry to hear about Jim's health problems. Wish there were something I could do to help.

So kind of you to offer; I'm sure they would appreciate your thoughts. I just got an email from Don thanking me for posting, and I offered whatever help we can provide. But even though it's overwhelming, I'm not sure--shy of taking over the delivery business--what we could offer. Don is taking care of Jim's many sudden requirements all by himself, and I don't know how he's keeping it together. I guess some kind of home help will be important now, although I wouldn't dare to pre-suppose what he might be working on.

Would they be willing for you to identify their general location lakeside (not their exact address) in case one of the webboard members lives nearby? If they lived in CH, I'd be happy to bring over a dinner here and there to help. We could follow up with you over PM if so.

Jim and Don are my neighbors in Los Olivos. We were able to get some of Jim's meds reduced yesterday and hope that will help. Don has been very worried that his customers won't understand his having to (hopefully) temporarily suspend services. He will be grateful for the support the people here are expressing. Things are very difficult for them right now and any prayers or positive thoughts will be gratefully accepted. Thanks to all for their supportive statements.

Hi everyone. This is Don. Thank you so much for all of your support. I can never tell you how much it means right now. I greatly appreciate all of the kind offers that have been made. I just recieved some very bad news and Jim will have to return to the hospital tomorrow. It has been highly recommended that I get a living will from the LCS ASAP. I can not get down there. Could someone help me in obtaining one? We live in Los Olivos in upper Ajijic.

I unfortunately have had to suspend Lakeside Express deliveries until further notice. I quite simply can not continue to operate the business alone. I just hope and pray for Jim's recovery. I will update our website as I know more. Thank you again to all of the very kind people that have contacted us. There are truly some angels amongst us here at lakeside.

I am told by Don today that, not having a whole lot of luck here with Jim's health, they are returning north next week to seek more options. So the business truly is on hold for now. At some point, either one or both will return and continue trying to sell the business.

Just wanted to take a moment and thank all of our very dear friends for their support. I will be taking Jim back to the U.S. early tomorrow morning and admitting him immediately to the V.A. hospital in Atlanta, GA. He has taken a very serious turn for the worst, does not recognize anyone and yesterday my worst fear came true when he no longer remembered me or my name after 33 years. Needless to say I am devastated but am hoping the doctors in the U.S. can do some good before it is too late.

I certainly hope to back before too long and hope and pray it will not be by myself. I would love to get Lakeside Express up and running again but right now things are very uncertain.

You all take care of yourselves and one another. I/we will miss you and Ajijic dearly.

Until then....thank you.

Sincerely,

Don & Jim

An update to all of our friends of Lakeside Express .

We rushed Jim to the V.A. hospital in Atlanta, GA immediately after arriving Wednesday morning. Unfortunately he has gone down hill rapidly since then. He was moved to intensive care last night and a feeding tube was put in place. At the moment he is unresponsive to anything or anyone. I am truly hoping and praying for a miracle now.

Thank you to all of you that have emailed your thoughts, prayers and concerns. Please continue to do so. I/we could really use them.

I would love to Lakeside Express open again but right now it is truly one day at a time.

Many thanks to you all and please pass this message on to those you know would care.

Sincerely,

Don

Prayers are with you both. Depending on his wishes just keep in mind that heroic measures are frequently used and no permission is usually needed. Removing those are more difficult. Many people request a DNR when in similar situations but if not in place they will use all methods to resuscitate. I have not been in your shoes with a partner but with close relatives and I can remember what it was like. Be strong and don't exhaust all your energy at once, it is sometimes a longer journey. Suerte.

To Two Great Guys ~ I'm keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers. Hoping and praying for a sweet, peaceful outcome for you both. You know how to run an excellent business; a great service here Lakeside. Missing your voices and faces. Hang in there.

Carolina

Archived