Chapala.com Webboard

LCS Party January 30

LCS Bus Trips

The Lake Chapala Society's largest fundraiser of the year will take place on Saturday, January 30th on the grounds of LCS from 3 to 7PM. This year it is a costume party! (Costumes are not required, but go for it, if you are so inclined.) Don't miss out on this funky party featuring a grand prize for best costume, continuous music from Guadalajara Rock & Roll & Blues Band, "Dirty Black Beans" and great Cajun food from Gossips Kitchen. Great silent auction items featuring a grand prizes of a Golfing Weekend at the Grand Hotel Barra de Navidad worth approximately 12,000 pesos. Be entertained by a Cir de Solei act, The Caballa Pasion Ecuestre with horses, dancers, and gymnastics. A cash bar will feature Gossips Kitchen Hurricane drinks as well as the usual wine, beer, soft drinks, etc. Entertainment, fun and food all for the funky price of $399.99 pesos, buy your ticket at the LCS office or Dianne Pearls. Plan your costume, and come and support LCS and their myriad of community education programs for adults and children of Lakeside.

Tough issue Gringal. I probably won't go at that price but it looks like a pretty good value for what you get. Not everybody can live in Beverly Hills either including myself. I will have to decide if it is worth it and after that if I can afford it.

And a cash bar, as well?

My major gripe is that LCS members don't even get a break. That's not what LCS is about, is it? Or Is it?

I thought that LCS' major mission was to serve the community at large. A costume party sounds like great fun, but can the average member afford that price? Doubtful. So where is the "elitist" attitude coming from?

I wish they'd hold these type of events in the evening. It's so old fartsy to have these sort of fun events in the daytime.

I don't know about what you're seeing out there, but most of the foreign born folks around here are "old farts" over 60, and up, and up. ^_^ Judging from the afternoon "Freesta", they don't have trouble dancing up a storm at midday. Just need a good band.

i am torn about the responses here. My first reaction was, "Here we go again!"

As soon as anyone posts anything about LCS the criticizing and complaining begins. I was going to suggest that people who want to discuss the fairness or unfairness of ticket prices start a new thread and just leave this one alone. Then I thought, well at least the continuing posts keep the announcement up high in the New Contents section.

And a cash bar, as well?

My major gripe is that LCS members don't even get a break. That's not what LCS is about, is it? Or Is it?

I thought that LCS' major mission was to serve the community at large. A costume party sounds like great fun, but can the average member afford that price? Doubtful. So where is the "elitist" attitude coming from?

I just checked last years postings..... Price last year was 400 pesos per person and catered by Santo Cayote.

In 2014 the price was 450 pesos each.

Food, entertainment, etc of a similar quality. And the comments this year certainly

echo those made a year ago.

And the reply last year was that dual pricing exists for service related events. This is the major

yearly fund raiser for the multiple Education Programs sponsored by the Lake Chapala Society.

I just checked last years postings..... Price last year was 400 pesos per person and catered by Santo Cayote.

In 2014 the price was 450 pesos each.

Food, entertainment, etc of a similar quality. And the comments this year certainly

echo those made a year ago.

And the reply last year was that dual pricing exists for service related events. This is the major

yearly fund raiser for the multiple Education Programs sponsored by the Lake Chapala Society.

Yes, this is the third year of a grand party limited to those who can afford the price, and it's the third year the members get no discount. It will certainly keep out he riffraff. :unsure:

For sure the direction is to give a better price to members. I can give you an example is the Charros Baseball trips I hosted were 50 pesos less for Members. Trying to give members perks is important to LCS.

I have no problem talking about prices and such. Why not?? I can understand Gringals posts and her humor. We all decide the priority when spending our money. I thought the higher prices would not work but turnout in the past was fine after prices were raised. My libertarian views keep me from being concerned if I decide I can't afford to do something. The market will tell and I will bet the event will be a success. I could volunteer and go I suppose but I don't even take the free coffee for volunteers offered in the past but thats me. Your mileage may vary.

Lcscats, I am with you. If I want to attend a fund raising event I make it a priority to purchase a ticket. Sometimes I offer to make a donation of a lesser amount instead of buying a ticket. No one has yet turned down my donation. I am not irate or insulted that the ticket cost is beyond my budget. That is my problem, not the organization's. As you pointed out, the market will tell. If not enough people can afford the tickets the attendance will drop. So far it has not.

Lcscats, I am with you. If I want to attend a fund raising event I make it a priority to purchase a ticket. Sometimes I offer to make a donation of a lesser amount instead of buying a ticket. No one has yet turned down my donation. I am not irate or insulted that the ticket cost is beyond my budget. That is my problem, not the organization's. As you pointed out, the market will tell. If not enough people can afford the tickets the attendance will drop. So far it has not.

I am neither irate nor insulted, for hevvins sake. It takes a lot more than that to get there. I am simply pointing out what I believe to be an unfair treatment of members. YMMV.

El Saltos all money goes into the general fund. The accounting is on a computer just like it is anywhere these days. The days of this account and that account are long gone thank goodness. You seem to be really stuck in the past. You have raised the issue before and you really need to move on or join and fix it if you think something is wrong. These days an excel spreadsheet/accounting software does all the work. Accounts are virtual these days. Its 2016 not 1960. LCS dues basically pay for costs for labor and to run the facilities. Fundraiser raise funds for the programs.

Enough!!

Fund Raisers are just that. Participate or not, but stop trying to deter others from attending by constant negative comments. Take your complaints to LCS directly. We all know they do not respond to this forum nor anything posted on this board. This forum was established to disseminate LCS events and information to web board participants at the request of many of us. It certainly was not set up to be a whipping post for negative individuals on this web board who always seem to have an axe to grind about most things LCS.

With the peso at 18.0 to 1.00 looks like the price has gone down from the past three years. Twenty two bucks each for an afternoon of fun doesn't sound like to much. probably a must attend for local food critiques and such.

Plus they say it is a "Fund Raiser"

Gringal, if you have not pointed it out often enough, could you please start another thread for you and the others who need to point out the same things over and over? Let's give LCS the courtesy of being able to post something they do without being criticized.

With the peso at 18.0 to 1.00 looks like the price has gone down from the past three years. Twenty two bucks each for an afternoon of fun doesn't sound like to much. probably a must attend for local food critiques and such.

Plus they say it is a "Fund Raiser"

bigd, for you the peso may be over 18.0 to 1.00, but there are other expats here.......we call ourselves 'Canadians'. We don't get a break like you do.

Gringal, if you have not pointed it out often enough, could you please start another thread for you and the others who need to point out the same things over and over? Let's give LCS the courtesy of being able to post something they do without being criticized.

I let go of this several posts ago. How about the rest of you doing the same about now? Grind, grind, grind. ^_^

Archived