Chapala.com Webboard

Amazon Fire stick

I am currently looking for someone to help me set up a VPN router to put my entire house behind a VPN network... I have a smart tv, apple tv, x-box and laptop I want with a USA IP address. There is obviously a market for the service of setting these up here at lakeside. I hope some computer nerd steps up to the plate...

Cheers,

Chris

I bought an ASUS router on Amazon with VPN capabilities. I have a friend who is assisting via Teamviewer (he can take full control over my computer) and is helping set everything up. My brand new Roku 3 is awaiting until the Asus is set up with its VPN (which will also give me much better reception upstairs).

If you have someone who really understands computers and these systems well, all you need do is order the proper router (was about $200 for me) and then via TeamViewer and a few skype calls, they can help set it up and walk you through the steps.

I did find a youtube tutorial of how to set up the Asus with the Telmex modem, but of course despite following all the steps it didn't work and I needed help.

If you know of anyone who has the ability and knowledge to help you out, that's one way to get it done. Good luck!

Just a little extra input. I have been using Hotspot Shield's VPN for some time and had no problem viewing Netflix and Amazon Prime on my iPad and Kindle Fire. A couple of months ago I could no longer connect on the Fire as I was advised about the geographical restrictions. I wrote to HS and after sending the tech several screen shots he wrote back that the Big Boys are actively going after the VPN's and there was nothing he could do for me. The iPad continued to work OK until a week ago and now sometimes it works and other times not. I was going to buy a dedicated VPN router as well but after reading some of the chat boards decided against it based on comments that some people were getting blocked after spending big bucks not to be blocked. I'm sure it won't last forever but right now switching my country to Canada rather than USA has been working.

YMMV

pappysmarket is absolutely spot on with his comments. I don't jump forward with offers to help with VPN and NetFlix because my success rate is rather low. Roku, Applet TV, Chromestick, etc... all use apps for Netflix that are actively blocked from VPN/DNS services. I have success with TVs bought in the US, and with Rokus etc. that are configured up north initially, and have at least a US/Canadian installation before being turned on down here... along with US/Cdn credit cards and addresses.

I have had VPN success with Shellfire on my computer.

I have recently received their new Shellfire Box and hooked it up to my Telmex modem.

It hasn't been the great success i had hoped for, but it has been close.

It has cut by bandwidth from 5 to 4 or about 20%

But it still delivers Amazon Prime almost always and Netflix always.

Of course, I also get Hulu and my NOB Xfinity.

But, not two at once on different devices.

So, I'd recommend it.

I am using un-blockus for my dsn with my Fire tv box(not the stick.and have had hide my ### for my VPN for the last two years.

I am having no problem with Amazon Prime using the VPN which I just down loaded and set up my account.

What I am looking for is someone who can unlock, not just unblock my fire tv. You cannot unlock the one with the stick but can unlock the one with the box. My computer guy connected everything for me and is investigating how to unlock it;. Unlocked everything is available free including Hulu and Netflix.

The fire tv that costs $$99. USD.on Amazon is the one that can be unlocked and works well with slow speed.

If anyone has unlocked, not un blocked, please let me know who can do it. It opens the world to you.

Thanks to all for you input. Lots of good ideas. I did have a computer person try to set up a dsn for me. However, it still doesn't work. He's coming back tomorrow to see what he can do. Very frustrating. I really don't want to spend $200+ for a router when it may not work either. May have to keep watching movies on my DVD. I'll certainly try some of these suggestions. Many thanks.

I can confirm also that if you buy a Roku 3 up in Canada and set it up there on Netflix Canada using a Canadian credit card before bringing it down here that it works fine. No VPN required. I just did this during my Christmas visit to family. Simply brought it down here and plugged it into the Telmex DSL router and up it came. I am also surprised that the Telemex internet here is fast enough to be able to stream media.

Computer Guy: Have you ever set up a VPN Router here (Asus or similar) with a good success??? I am really interested in doing this to at least get my Apple TV and X-box behind a US DNS. Cheers,Chris

Some successful, some not. PMd you.

Archived