Chapala.com Webboard

Sean Penn interviews El Chapo

Sea

Last night Charlie Rose interviewed Sean Penn on his article. He'd be happy with the discussion on this board. At least, the larger issues about drugs were discussed in one little place. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3400519/Sean-Penn-sits-Charlie-Rose-break-silence-bizarre-jungle-rendez-vous-Mexican-drug-lord-El-Chapo.html

"Let's go to the big picture of what we all want," Penn said. "We all want this drug problem to stop. We all want them -- the killings in Chicago to stop. We are the consumer. Whether you agree with Sean Penn or not, there is a complicity there. And if you are in the moral right, or on the far left, just as many of your children are doing these drugs."

He added, "And how much time have they spent in the last week since this article came out, talking about that? One percent? I think that'd be generous."

Highlights:

On CBS This Morning, Rose said Penn did the interview with him to “clarify his involvement in El Chapo’s capture,” after Mexican authorities said knowledge of his trip helped them move in on Guzmán. Penn “believes those claims…are incorrect and could put him in danger,” Rose said.

Penn dismissed “this myth about the visit that we made, my colleagues and I, that it was…essential to his capture.” “We had met with him many weeks ago, on October 2. In a place nowhere near where he was captured.” Rose asked if, so far as Penn knows, he had nothing to do with the fugitive’s recapture. (CBS News reported yesterday, “The trail for Guzman had gone cold until telecommunication intercepts — along with Penna and Castillo’s travel to meet El Chapo — helped U.S. and Mexican law enforcement narrow down the drug lord’s location.”)

“We know the Mexican government, they clearly were humiliated by the notion that someone found him before they did,” Penn said. “Nobody found him before they did. We are not smarter than the DEA, or Mexican intelligence. We had a contact upon which we were able to facilitate an invitation.” Penn said, when asked, he believed Mexican government release this statement, in part because they wanted to put him at risk.

“They wanted to encourage the cartel to put you in their cross hairs?” Rose asked.

“Yes,” Penn reiterated. But, Penn insisted he was not fearful for his life.

“I thought only, this is somebody upon whose interview could I begin a conversation about the policy on the war on drugs. That was my simple idea,” Penn told Rose, when asked why he did the interview. “We’re going to put all our focus, forget about blame, all our focus, all our energy, all our billions of dollars, on the bad guy. And, what happens? You get another death the next day,” the actor elaborated.

If someone doesn't care about it, why would they bother to criticize? I'm having trouble following that thought.

This guy knows cartels. Takes the position that a lot of ppl do that Penn whitewashed Chapo. One interesting viewpoint.

I wish this had come out earlier. The real deal.

Don Winslow wrote "The Cartel". Wrote a response to Penn's Charlie Rose appearance.

http://deadline.com/2016/01/sean-penn-el-chapo-don-winslow-response-the-cartel-1201685328/

Winslow's clarity on this subject and commentary on Penn is refreshing. Other than just repeating the obvious (complicity on the part of the consuming market), Penn's charade was of little value and more about his self-serving, narcissistic need to re-affirm his self-importance and maintain an illusion of his own relevance. About the only thing of some interest to me was the interview revealed how really uneducated and ignorant Guzman is! The man is illiterate and simple minded. I was actually rather stunned by this fact, given the size and complexity of his network and how difficult it must be to run. I was expecting to find someone with tremendous natural intelligence if not a well educated man. A good argument for hiring the very best, most intelligent people to surround oneself with. This must explains Trump's success as well.

It strikes me that all three men are not the "sharpest tools in the shed" as much as Penn tries to overcompensate for this reality. Guzman is content to live his life as the instinctual animal he is and well "the Donald" speaks for himself. I find all three of the above mentioned to share a similar darkness to their souls. I find all of them equally distasteful.

Kudos to Winslow for keeping things "real"and reminding us of it.

Talk is cheap! Winslow has a bunch of tough questions that he has no fear of ever getting to ask. Sounds like sour grapes.

Okay, we all know that Sean Penn is not a journalist yet he is being pummeled by professional journalists for doing just exactly what they routinely do. One could die of old age waiting for print and film media journalists to ask a tough follow-up question of any of our elected reps. Why the outrage directed toward Penn? He lobbed softballs, so, who doesn't? We are being poorly served by the corporations that manage what is represented as news. They've certainly turned this sideshow into a full three ring circus.

Archived