Chapala.com Webboard

Sean Penn interviews El Chapo

Sea

This Rolling Stone interview is worth a read. The set up Sean Penn went through is as interesting as the interview. Some profanity.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/el-chapo-speaks-20160109

Edit: Huge debate stirred up over the terms that R.S. gave El Chapo to get the article. Sensationalism trumps journalist integrity. Again.

CYU1XRmUEAEv5aQ.jpg

Christopher Hayes @chrislhayes 15m15 minutes ago

It's obviously, unambiguously indefensible to give the subject of an interview/ article final say over its publication.

We'll be hearing as much about this than the actual interview of the article.

Instead of a second edit - this deserves a second post. Just keeps getting better and better. Sometimes real life is better than a soap opera.

A Mexican law enforcement official says recaptured drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman's secret interview with actor Sean Penn helped authorities locate his whereabouts.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/L/LT_MEXICO_DRUG_LORD_THE_LATEST?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-01-09-22-41-26

It used to be a subject NEVER would be given the opportunity to screen a story before publishing. Journalism is not what is used to be. RS really wanted that story.

It still is the rule, but when the stakes get high, ethics crumble. News and journalists' twitter has been afire with this since last night. I think the two truest things I've read is that even given all the restrictions, most journalists would still have killed to get that interview. And secondly, the NYT would have agreed to the same demands, but not have publicized it. The RS, being the rock star that it is, knows how to flash its chance at publicity - especially as it tries to rebound from the VA rape story.

This morning's CNN Reliable Sources media show is promising to spend a lot of time covering this, if you watch that kind of thing. :)

This is the part of the article that really tickled me.

The guy runs a multibillion-dollar business with a network of at least 50 countries, and there's not one f****r down there in the jungle with him who speaks a word of friggin' English?

I'm reading this exciting interview and thinking... "Sean, Sean. The folks on Chapala.com are going to tear you a new one."

The disturbing thing about the interview for anyone with Irish blood, was El Chapo mispronouncing Sean's name as "seen* (past participle of the English verb "see"). LOL

I wonder if he gets extradited to the US, if Donald Trump will go visit him and try to have him call off the bounty on his head.

The article is far more about Penn's ego than about El Chapo. An interview done in Oct. has nothing to do with capturing him in January.

The story is still trickling in. Part of it might be that the Marines tracked Penn on that first trip. I thought the statement that they didn't try to capture then because of his wife and children sounded fishy. But there's a lot more to the story that has to come out.

I am always amazed by the the naivete of many Hollywood types. Sean Penn right at the top. Make no mistake, Penn was in it for the money and fame. He surely should be charged with aiding and abetting a fugitive.

No matter what one thinks regarding the drug situation in the world, Chapo is a "bad guy" in every sense of the word. He is responsible for the death and suffering of thousands of people. To try blame his behavior on the consumers of his product is tantamount to blaming the woman who is raped for being pretty.

Sean Penn likes publicity . . . great insight there. El Chapo is a bad guy . . . great insight there. I fail to see how a pretty lady is the "product" in Mostlylost's analysis . . . I guess I have never viewed a lady as a commodity. My understanding of basic economic theory is that demand drives supply . . . take away the demand, and the supply will diminish. Oh well . . . onward and upward.

Thorough review of Sean Penn's legal exposure, on various issues. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/will-sean-penn-face-legal-853908?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=THR%20Headlines_2016-01-11%2005:00:00_ARahman&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_headlines

Penn's going to have to live with the possibility of cartel interest in him. That's an unknown factor in all this discussion. Living down here, I'm sure we've all thought of that.

edit: You know something has been bungled when you read yet another story about the arrest of the Baddest of the Bad and you can't stop laughing. Every other journalist may have missed the big story, but they're making up for it in spades.

"and then to an airstrip in the jungle from which he went overland by car, possibly past bandidos, to a small village so remote only a movie star and a soap-opera actress could find it."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/el-chapo-couldnt-escape-the-allure-of-hollywood/2016/01/11/0f5c01d6-b895-11e5-b682-4bb4dd403c7d_story.html?wpmm=1&wpisrc=nl_opinions

So the drug-addicted "comsumer" is to blame?

That's like blaming the addicted cigarette smoker buying cigarettes and not the tobacco industry pendling poison.

El Chapo and Sean Penn, a meeting of the minds. Both used each other.

Lexy

Yes, the drug user is to blame. It is called "personal responsibility." In all but a few cases, they chose to use drugs to the point of addiction. For the most part they can chose to conquer that addiction and stop using drugs.

No users, no buyers, no narco money, no narcos.

It is just that simple.

Where governments have really tough penalties for drug users, there is little profit to be made. A slap on the hand does not work, and incarceration is too expensive. So, that leaves either the death penalty or transportation to a remote island with an initial stock of farming tools and no return possible. Come to think of it, both addicts and dealers could be sent to the same place, where they could decide for themselves where to place the blame. Call it Cold Turkey Island.

Where governments have really tough penalties for drug users, there is little profit to be made. A slap on the hand does not work, and incarceration is too expensive. So, that leaves either the death penalty or transportation to a remote island with an initial stock of farming tools and no return possible.

That is not really accurate. I was in Japan in the 70's and they had very harsh penalties for drug use. But they still had users.

Decriminalization is really the only way you will reduce the Narcos hold. The big corporations will take it over and that will end the turf violence and dealer killings.

Archived