Chapala.com Webboard

House painter Andre Numez Recommended

sm1mex

My insurance agent has recommended Andre Numez for house painting. He said Andre was a very nice man and very reasonable. Andre's card says "excellent references-speaks English."

His cell is (045) 331 789 9621.

I have not tried him but surely would with my agents recommendation.

My insurance agent has recommended Andre Numez for house painting. He said Andre was a very nice man and very reasonable. Andre's card says "excellent references-speaks English."

His cell is (045) 331 789 9621.

I have not tried him but surely would with my agents recommendation.

Who is our insurance agent who made the recommendation?

Thanks for the feedback. There have been quite a few posts asking for recommendations for painters and for paint yet I remember the difficulty I had when searching this topic when I wanted to choose paint and painters. Al Berca is absolutely correct in that you get what you pay for and I thought it would be useful to lay down a variety of prices and experiences to use as a base for future reference. Maybe this should become a separate topic under paint and painters advice, those interested down the road could then pick their price point and the talents that suit their own needs. As readers of this board will know, I am very much in favor of supporting the local talent over imported talent and this is just one way we can do that.

So, in my case I am currently paying 8500 pesos for the complete job, about 2 weeks estimated work. I have no idea if that is a lot, about right, or inexpensive. That was one worker last week and three expected for this coming week. So far work starts at 9am sharp or a little earlier as we agreed, and continues until the light goes. I have a lot of house to paint with a lot of garden walls, including my dear neighbors massive 3 story Berlin wall to contend with so I supplied the products I wanted to use. Sorry, I didn't calculate the square metres (that would have been far too logical) but it took two cubetes of Fester and will likely use 5 cubetes of paint to finish all the painting, that includes one of primer used wherever bare cement was exposed. Oh, also one gallon of the silitre treatment. I have very little salitre so this is really nominal. I chose to use Home Depots top rated Behr Premium Plus Exterior Matte (using it undiluted) and the Fester 10 year white waterproofing for the roof. Only time will tell if they live up to their promises.

Ricardo has done excellent work so far. Very clean, very fast and very thorough. He is taking the old paint right down, grinding or patching where needed, new mortar and/or salitre treatment also where needed, fixing up the roof and laying down 2 coats of the impermabilizante after thoroughly cleaning off the old. So far leaving a professional finish and a spotless workplace (no splatter). If interested I'll let you know how week 2 goes. So far the completed parts look like a new house.

I am using Ricardo Sanchez Cel: (331) 832-9448.

Painters get paid by the square meter by contractors and they earn less than masons when working through

contractors but I have yet to meet a painter thtn quoted me by the square meter. I know that is how our

ingeneer paid our painter who was an expert on restoring old buildings, such as churces and convents..

Painters get paid by the square meter by contractors and they earn less than masons when working through

contractors but I have yet to meet a painter thtn quoted me by the square meter. I know that is how our

ingeneer paid our painter who was an expert on restoring old buildings, such as churces and convents..

Yes, I admit I was shocked when I heard the quotes for my place. I had asked for a per meter rates and supplied the meters and plans but was told each time "oh, we don't do it that way in Mexico". They charge a ballpark figure based on the estimated time to do the job and the materials required if not supplied by the client, with a little extra padded on in case they go overtime. I am not naive, I know what we paid specialized workers per week in Guerrero so I just shrugged at the prices quoted me, chose the best price and assumed it was just another "in country" expense, also known as the gringo special. Just one of the many privileges of living here and one of those added expenses that makes living here less of a bargain than many would think. Having resigned myself to the costs, I must say, they are doing a fabulous job so I have no complaints about their workmanship. That is top notch. It is up to each of us to negotiate the prices down and to choose the quality of workmanship we want.

It would be interesting to compare the prices here with NOB prices. It may turn out we are still getting a bargain after all.

• 2 years later...

Archived