Chapala.com Webboard

Genetically Modified Seed

Sonia

UCD does so much good work in addition to being supportive of our efforts to nationalize vehicles.

Translated example: The Democratic Peasants Union (UCD) nationwide prepare an injunction against the use of genetically modified seeds, in several states, including Quintana Roo.
Jose Duran Vera, national coordinator of the UCD reported to have already given details of the situation in Campeche, Guanajuato, Queretaro and Quintana Roo, their lawyers to initiate the preparations for the defense.
He noted that so far there is no full authorization for the use of GMOs, therefore, those using modified seeds, are violating international agreements.
"It is an issue that is being aired in court and lawyers for the UCD are preparing an appeal against these actions that are being taken unlawfully, and illegal, and will ask the Federal Minister of Agriculture to initiate the defense of our native seeds in Latin America"
Wishing them well.
Sonia

• 3 weeks later...

What exactly is the problem with GMO corn?

Aren't the crop yields better.

Doesn't Mexico import most of the maize consumed here from the US?

Just curious.

BTW,I've helped my father in-law desquelitar his milpa in Guanajuato,hard work.

Good for you, cb ! A little hard work never hurt anyone. :D

I thought that construction was hard work,but I found out that working agriculture was even harder,you're bent over most of the time,it's hard on the back.

I helped him out because he was injured in a crane accident at his job building a bridge in Guanajuato.

As usual, the 'health' debate about GMO is full of rhetoric, smoke and emotion. The truth about GMO is that it is all about money. The food processing industries need uniform sizes and quality to feed their giant machines. This is only possible with GMO seeds, landrace and heritage are possibly better in flavor - or not - it is a throw of the dice every planting. Medium to large farms financially benefit from GMO. Medium to large farms want to get in on this type of production, using highly mechanised harvesters, to be world competitive once again. There will always be small farmers relying on landrace and heritage seeds - but they are not able to feed the nation or barely support their families. There are "organic" farmers, but certification is around $2,000 U.S., inspections every year, and the soil may take years to become certifiable. After all that effort to find the big food wholesalers and buyers only buy produce, meats, etc., based on appearance and price. After all that effort only to find your produce is open to so many sources of contamination from the many handlers before it even reachs the consumer.

The food crisis in Mexico is worsening. The almost doubling of the U.S. dollar makes food imports even more expensive. By the end of 2016 the prices of many foods, especially factory processed foods, will double.

http://thenews.mx/2015/10/agricultural-crisis-continues/

Once you use the GMO you cannot return to natures own. Mexico banned the growing of GMO corn in order to preserve its' many diverse and traditional types of corn. Farmers have lost their land in many countries due to contracts with Monsanto or seed and pollen drift. If Monsanto discovers a farm nearby which has only one GMO plant, (due to drift) on their property it sues for "damages" and often destroys the farmer by taking his land. In India, many have committed suicide in order to keep the land in the family, the law being if a person dies, his debt dies with him, Do some research, in Canada there is one farmer in particular who has fought them and now no longer can sow soy. Most of the soy, if not all, from Canada, is GMO. US shipments of GMO corn has been rejected and not allowed in various countries. Most of Europe has banned it as has China, probably more which I am not aware of. So, where is the benefit if it cannot be sold?

Wow! Thats a new record luvsdawg - every single sentence wrong or misleading. I don't know where to begin. How about the big one. In 2013 a renegade judge, who knew absolutely nothing about agriculture, made an order temporarily suspending the scientific growing of gmo seed to determine its growth rates, etc. A farmer wants to know this before dumping in millions of pesos. That decision was overturned in August 2015. Like it or not, Monsanto alone sold $400 million U.S. of product into Mexico in 2015.

You will have to give up a lot of things. Like those bright yellow tostados that taste so good. They are made from sweet "dent" corn from the U.S. and Canada. The dent corn is also used to fatten up pork, beef and chicken.

This is about fantastically wealthy and powerful landowners, doing business in the most corrupt country in the OECD. What did you think was going to happen?

I am going to respectfully disagree. There is way too much we don't know about the end results of GMO products. The Monsanto Protection Bills (not sure of the real names) that seem to make it through Congress every year block research on their effects, and a lot of the reports that do manage to sneak by are downright scary.

I understand that in your world, an organization dedicated to organic products is suspect. In my world, Monsanto & Dupont are more suspect.

https://www.organicconsumers.org/news/8-reasons-avoid-doing-business-monsanto

Actually, what I wrote is correct, unfortunately you missed much of the news about all of this. Most of the world HAS banned Monsanto GMO seeds, many farmers have lost property due to GMO plants cropping up in their fields. Monsanto has a PATENT on their seeds, thus giving them a legal leg up on the little guy. I suggest you read more on this.

Read more and watch the news. Good advice. I have read "Silent Spring" by Rachel Carson, studied "Walden" by Henry Thoreau, studied John Muir's works, even visited his house and garden in California. In the end, I think Kurt Vonnegut Jr. described it best

We could have saved the Earth but we were too damned cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

The practice of genetic modifications through selective crossing of DNA have been around since ancient times, the interference and selected breeding of humans has crossed over to the term eugenics. A lot of high hopes get made - for example, if just over 50% of human disease is caused by genetics, then a rigid policy of eugenics would eliminate all genetically transferred disease, forever, in one generation. Seductive, but dangerous - no more Stephen Hawkings', forever, for example. Humans, by in large, do not wish to evolve. They mostly leave everything up to nature, or religion, no prescreening of genes, checking multigeneration medical records (most do not even have access to these). So to ask of a human "Evolve or Die" - most seem to choose illness and death. It is the "natural" way, God's will, etc. - even though the other 50% of humans who die or suffer prematurely, the ones not attributed to bad genes, are diagnosed as the result of poor lifestyle choices, which excellerate or exacerbate their demise.

I don't think we know enough about long term effects yet to go this way 100%. I think MX is wise to wait it out.

In the 70s, Russia had almost 100% one type of wheat. They got hit with a blight and lost about 70% of their crop. Put them in a real bind.

I saw an article this week where this Zirka (sp?) virus that is spreading all over SA started in a region where they had released some modified mosquitoes. They have no idea if the two events are related, but it is worrisome.

We do enough stuff accidentally to screw up things, we should be very careful about what we do on purpose.

• 3 weeks later...

If it wasn't for Monsanto, Dupont and others, along with the land grant ag universities, we would not be harvesting 3 times as much corn and soybeans as was produced even 50 years ago, with less water and less pesticides and herbicides. Most all of the outbreaks of e coli have come from so-called organic farms. Just look at the recent example of Chipotle Mexican and its sources of product from small producers. Hybrid tomatoes were one the first GMO products and no one complains about tomatoes and how you have to have new seed each year because hybrid tomato seeds won't grow. 

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 11:13 AM, CHILLIN said:

practice of genetic modifications through selective crossing of DNA

This is not the GMO process.  GMO is not the selective breeding process people have been carefully using with plants for thousands of years to choose one desired characteristic over others the plant naturally displays.  GMO is genetic modification through splicing of one organism`s genes into the DNA of another organism`s DNA in a laboratory.  Since we have no longterm evidence of what effect this could cause to plants or to animals including ourselves, and since the effect could potentially be devastating, most critically thinking people prefer to do very small tests of this process and observe the longterm effects before unleashing GMOs in the world at large and thus potentially effecting a catastrophic change to the world`s food supply or to human DNA.  There is already much evidence to show that GMO foods could be affecting childrens` vulnerable brain structure.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 6:59 PM, bdmowers said:

This is not the GMO process.  GMO is not the selective breeding process people have been carefully using with plants for thousands of years to choose one desired characteristic over others the plant naturally displays.  GMO is genetic modification through splicing of one organism`s genes into the DNA of another organism`s DNA in a laboratory.  Since we have no longterm evidence of what effect this could cause to plants or to animals including ourselves, and since the effect could potentially be devastating, most critically thinking people prefer to do very small tests of this process and observe the longterm effects before unleashing GMOs in the world at large and thus potentially effecting a catastrophic change to the world`s food supply or to human DNA.  There is already much evidence to show that GMO foods could be affecting childrens` vulnerable brain structure.

I would suggest that evidence that shows that something "could be' doing something is not very conclusive. But in any event since there is "much evidence" to show this is the case, perhaps you could provide several references to different studies to support your claim.

Guest bennie2

from what i read it causes cancer. then again, i have to eat. i have no way to tell if the food is modified. either it looks ok or it doesnt. 

Archived