Chapala.com Webboard

Where to buy quality coffee?

For the love of GOD is it too much to ask? This morning I'm sipping crappy coffee once again. We've tried every single brand of coffee available at Walmart, bought the worst coffee of my life from a gourmet coffee shop in Chapala, etc etc. Believe it or not, the best coffee we've found so far is Folgers! Where can we buy "good" coffee?

Eric

I'm with you Eric. I was used to imported Italian expresso blends but now, if you can even find them, they are fantastically expensive. I understand that Mexico subsidizes its lack lustre coffee industry with super high tariiffs. The Mexican industry is most known for its robusta beans, used in making instant. I got tired of drinking coffee "which is Mexico's best", so I don't drink coffee at all anymore. I tried to germinate some "catura" beans, but they wouldn't germinate.

Mexico grows some good cocoa beans in Veracruz, and I think they would make a good hot beverage. Haven't got to ordering yet. I need someone who speaks enough Spanish to order a sack from the co-operatives.

Cafe Grano across from the Catholic church in Ajijic. Or Costco.

Second the above....

Ensure that the water is no hotter than 175F, since this adds bitterness and acidity.718b5eucLqL._SL1500_.jpg

Costco shown below is one of the best I've ever tasted, with the use of

AeroPress Coffee Maker...

http://www.costco.com.mx/view/product/mx_catalog/cos_6,cos_6.6,cos_6.6.2/605685

8799463079966.jpg?buildNumber=RELEASE-23

Kirkland Signature café en grano selección de la casa de Chiapas 1kg - See more at: http://www.costco.com.mx/view/product/mx_catalog/cos_6,cos_6.6,cos_6.6.2/605685#sthash.Hso2Iw8G.dpuf

I believe that Superlake sells El Grano coffee too. My preference for the El Grano coffee is their "French Roast" ground...doesn't matter whether it's from Oaxaca or Chiapas.

The guy on the highway (more or less in front of Actinver)is from Veracruz and sells Veracruz coffee. When he disappears every once in a while, it's to go home to Veracruz and load up the truck. Again, I ask for "dark roasted"/"french roast" and have him grind it very fine.

I use a drip basket coffeemaker with purified water and run vinegar (3 times)through it once a month.

Works for me...YMMV

Try El Grano and if you like dark robust flavors get one of the French roasts (we prefer Oaxaca) and ask them to grind it fine. The same brand at Super Lake is a medium grind and won't brew as deep a flavor as we like. If you can find the big church in Ajijic, you can find El Grano, great little place to sit and enjoy a cappuccino and a snack too.

According to sometime poster "Coffee Guy" it is very difficult to find good coffee here. He says ElGrano is the best in this area.

He prefers some brands of instant coffee to many regular coffees here. Wish I could remember his favorite one. Maybe he will check in and see this.

Sounds trite, but I am partial to Kirkland Columbian. Comes in a dark brown can and I find the coffee to be consistently smooth, minimally acidic and it really has a full feel in the mouth.

Have tried other coffees and always go back to this. I use a Melitta cone drip, one cup at a time, but for years I was "Coffee Mommy" at my school, used those BIG meeting coffee makers, and people would complain when we ran out and used another brand. They didn't know what brands we were suing, but they knew when the Kirkland was gone !

Good tip Ferret about the man from Veracruz - I will ask if he can bring some cocoa beans. Many people like Nescafe "Gold" brand instant coffee. Mexican cafe con leche - mix instant coffee and sweetened condensed milk into a paste. Heat some milk and the froth it (using one of those Mexican wooden twirlers (molinillo) that you use your palms to froth). Pour hot milk on the paste, reserving the froth, and mix. Pour the remaining foam on top and sprinkle some instant coffee granules on top to give some color. You can also buy Nestle "Abuelita" instant hot chocolate. Look up abuelita and champurrado recipes. There is also another ancient one which uses chile, corn masa, and no sugar. Chocolate is better for you than coffee, getting rid of the sugar and dairy is the challenge.

For the love of GOD is it too much to ask? This morning I'm sipping crappy coffee once again. We've tried every single brand of coffee available at Walmart, bought the worst coffee of my life from a gourmet coffee shop in Chapala, etc etc. Believe it or not, the best coffee we've found so far is Folgers! Where can we buy "good" coffee?

Eric

Eric

Eric

So who is "gourmet coffee shop in Chapala" I only know the Cafe Arbol;whom I have been getting my coffee and beans from for many years had found the product excellent and to be more reasonable priced that others around the area.

My gripe with the guy selling off his pick up is that his prices are comparable to those others who have a store and pay city taxes and have other overheads

As suggested maybe its something you are doing, water,temperature, dirty coffee maker???

Thank you for your suggestions. I can't say whether it's the coffee maker or not, though we've had the same problem with two drip coffee makers. Three weeks ago we bought a package of EVERY brand of coffee Walmart had and did a blind taste test. Every single one left a nasty aftertaste, none were smooth except the Folgers. I'm not going to name the "gourmet" coffee place in Chapala because to be fair I only tried two different types of ground coffee and they may actually have another one that's good. The two times I bought coffee there I couldn't even force myself to drink it..I usually plow my way through a bag of bad coffee rather than throw it away (I hate to waste money) but I threw out an entire kilo of their ground coffee.

I've been drinking/brewing coffee for a whole bunch of decades. I would think that if it were my method of brewing that was the problem I'd have had issues long before coming to MX. Just sayin.

I'll try the coffee vendors recommended previously.

Thank you for your suggestions. I can't say whether it's the coffee maker or not, though we've had the same problem with two drip coffee makers. Three weeks ago we bought a package of EVERY brand of coffee Walmart had and did a blind taste test. Every single one left a nasty aftertaste, none were smooth except the Folgers. I'm not going to name the "gourmet" coffee place in Chapala because to be fair I only tried two different types of ground coffee and they may actually have another one that's good. The two times I bought coffee there I couldn't even force myself to drink it..I usually plow my way through a bag of bad coffee rather than throw it away (I hate to waste money) but I threw out an entire kilo of their ground coffee.

I've been drinking/brewing coffee for a whole bunch of decades. I would think that if it were it my method of brewing that was the problem I'd have had issues long before coming to MX. Just sayin.

I'll try the coffee vendors recommended previously.

It's not YOU anyone was picking on.

The water is really crappy here. So, if you're renting, do they have a salt softener (gag)? or no purifying system? or from a roof tinaco?...that kind of variable is what is being referred to.

I'm not even sure (after twenty years)that I know what a really good cup of coffee tastes like in Mexico any more. Actually that's not true. There's a funky little cafe on the water side of the carretera just west of Telecable called (I think) Cafe del Arbol (havin' a brain fart here...help!?). They sell good pannini sandwiches and also grow their own veggies and sell the huge rectangular self watering planters as well. THEY have really really good coffee and I'm sure they'd tell you where they got it from or what their blend is. Nice, nice people.

Maybe telling people what you like in a coffee will help. What did you drink where you were from and enjoyed it? How did you buy it, while or ground? What method did you use to brew if? Then if you can't find a bean that meets your tastes, look into the other variables.

Maybe telling people what you like in a coffee will help. What did you drink where you were from and enjoyed it? How did you buy it, whiole or ground? What method did you use to brew if? Then if you can't find a bean that meets your tastes, look into the other variables.

Archived