Chapala.com Webboard

need info on car insurance to drive into the U.S.

I will be driving from Ajijic to San Antonio, Texas and will need car insurance for the U.S. portion.

The car is U.S. plated and current but is Mexican insured through Lewis & Lewis.

Can anyone advise me as to where to purchase short term insurance and an estimate as to what the cost would be ?

Thanks

If you still have a driver's license from a state in the U.S., you can purchase whatever type of coverage you wish through Progressive online. We have done this several times. We pay for just a month or even six months (comes out cheaper per month) with a U.S. credit card to bind the coverage. Choose your effective date to coincide with your arrival at the border and as soon as you're back in Mexico, give Progressive a call to cancel and they'll quickly refund your unused premium to your card. You can customize the coverage you want with your selection of deductible, full coverage with collision, comprehensive, and PLPD, or just PLPD - whatever benefits you want. They send you documentation you can carry with you.

Back in October, I chose full coverage for our 2011 Ford Escape. I don't recall if it was a USD 500 deductible or higher, but it was USD 309 for six months, less than $52 per month. I used only three weeks of the coverage. I cancelled the coverage effective 31 October; they credited my credit card account for $279 on 2 November.

We've always used Progressive online, but there are others you can purchase easily online, also.

If you still have a driver's license from a state in the U.S., you can purchase whatever type of coverage you wish through Progressive online. We have done this several times. We pay for just a month or even six months (comes out cheaper per month) with a U.S. credit card to bind the coverage. Choose your effective date to coincide with your arrival at the border and as soon as you're back in Mexico, give Progressive a call to cancel and they'll quickly refund your unused premium to your card. You can customize the coverage you want with your selection of deductible, full coverage with collision, comprehensive, and PLPD, or just PLPD - whatever benefits you want. They send you documentation you can carry with you.

Back in October, I chose full coverage for our 2011 Ford Escape. I don't recall if it was a USD 500 deductible or higher, but it was USD 309 for six months, less than $52 per month. I used only three weeks of the coverage. I cancelled the coverage effective 31 October; they credited my credit card account for $279 on 2 November.

We've always used Progressive online, but there are others you can purchase easily online, also.

Is this car US or Jalisco plated? Thanks

I have a Mexico plated vehicle and will be 60 days in the US this spring. I have a US driver's license and a Mexico driver's license. I would appreciate any recommendations for insurance.

Even though the Mexico insurance we have with AXA includes a low-limit ($100,000) US rider (which may be insufficient coverage in specific US states), we add a short-term liability policy through National Unity (see online at segurogringo.com) which offers a variety of limits and options as well as a Canada extension, should that be of interest. You can purchase by the day up to 60 days at a time and add on multiple 60-day policies. You can buy and print online or stop at the physical location at the big truckstop about an hour outside of Laredo (I think it's called Garcia but is large, modern and has big street signage for US auto policies and TX toll tags, if you prefer a face-to-face purchase and making another stop. If you purchase online, you can store your VIN and info so you don't have to re-enter the data for future trips (except for cc info: it does not save that.)

Thank you Dave and jrod. We too have AXA and the $100,000 US rider but it is only good for 28 days of continuous US stay. I asked Jesús how AXA would know when that policy for the US went into effect and he said the US border takes pictures of our entry into the US. So I know the first 28 days would be covered by that $100,000 low limit rider. I think I will again go to National Unity (who is the provider for AXA's rider). I was wondering what others used but National Unity seems to be the one to go to. I will do it on line and save the stop.

Does anyone remember if National Unity or Progressive have age limits to their policies?

Thank you Dave and jrod. We too have AXA and the $100,000 US rider but it is only good for 28 days of continuous US stay. I asked Jesús how AXA would know when that policy for the US went into effect and he said the US border takes pictures of our entry into the US. So I know the first 28 days would be covered by that $100,000 low limit rider. I think I will again go to National Unity (who is the provider for AXA's rider). I was wondering what others used but National Unity seems to be the one to go to. I will do it on line and save the stop.

Does anyone remember if National Unity or Progressive have age limits to their policies?

Yes, there are age limits for the drivers: 21-75 with valid license

• 2 weeks later...

Sent you a PM

Seguro Gringo gives this toll-free number within Mexico 001-800-554-3498.

The way my policy is worded "I hereby warrant that there are no drivers under 21 years and over 75 years unless listed here" leads me to believe that there may be some option to choose. If you give them a call and find out something, would you let us know if there is additional coverage available to allow for ages 75+?

Our Mexican car insurance covers us while we are in the U.S. with liability only. Double check with your agent, you may be covered for liability. Sorry this is a late post.

Great ! Who is your insurer ?

Archived