Chapala.com Webboard

Adelita's new requirement to get Tuesday rib special

sm1mex

Back to the original point of this thread - has anyone confirmed with Jason at Adelita's that this is the case? If it is, it should appear in their weekly letter as a condition of the special, giving everyone the chance to make their own decision before sitting down in the restaurant.

As I always get a drink when there, it's not a problem for me, but I can see that being blindsided might be annoying. However, the ribs are so good!!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, that's as tacky as the restaurant that tried charging for a plain old glass of water. They finally stopped.

It would make for a more amenable attitude if they reduced the amount of the discount and let the customer decide if he/she wanted to order a drink.

Water is NOT typically free in restaurants in most of the world, including Mexico. I think most restaurants here have done a disservice by bowing to gringo demands for free water. You won't get that anywhere outside our expat bubble.

No one expects to be "special", just as no one expects to be strong-armed into paying extra to get a "special". It's like saying "$10 off your gas if you give us $5".

There are specials like that all the time. Buy one get one 50% off, buy one get one. Save xx% when you spend $xxx.

Water is NOT typically free in restaurants in most of the world, including Mexico. I think most restaurants here have done a disservice by bowing to gringo demands for free water. You won't get that anywhere outside our expat bubble.

Nonsense. Never been charged for a plain glass of water anywhere. Where have you been living? Sounds like just another cranky claim that foreigners, aka "gringos" are demanding more than they are entitled to. The server in California or Kansas brings water when asked. Not bottled; that's another matter.

Nonsense. Never been charged for a plain glass of water anywhere. Where have you been living? Sounds like just another cranky claim that foreigners, aka "gringos" are demanding more than they are entitled to. The server in California or Kansas brings water when asked. Not bottled; that's another matter.

You said it, California or Kansas (US). Try getting free water in Guadalajara, Mexico City, even the restaurants in san juan cosala geared toward Mexicans.

You said it, California or Kansas (US). Try getting free water in Guadalajara, Mexico City, even the restaurants in san juan cosala geared toward Mexicans.

I'm glad you limited the allegation to "restaurants geared to Mexicans". Most of the restaurants with full service around Lakeside are geared to please everybody. Basically, what's the problem? It's hospitable to offer water to customers who are planning to spend money in a restaurant. The owners know it, and it's a cheap treat. Their bottom line depends on customers who want something way beyond plain water.

I was charged for a glass of water at Magana.

Cocinart provides a fresh bottle of "decanted" water at every table as you sit down. They refill it on request. And their meal prices are more than reasonable. Cannot remember ever being charged for a glass of water at any establishment in Ottawa.

Oh, and the comparison of "Buy one get one 50% off, buy one get one. Save xx% when you spend $xxx." is apples and oranges to me. You are already going in there to buy, and they are giving you a discount to do so. That's quite different than offering a special, and then saying "Oh, but you have to buy something else to get that special".

When we moved here 8 years ago, beer and wine with meals was very notably cheap. Yeah the wine was nothing to write home about, if you were lucky it would qualify as decent table wine.

In the last few years we've noticed that restaurants here have adopted the U.S. practice of making more money off the bar. Multiples on wine appear to be about 4 times the price of the bottle, which is typical of NOB.

Beer and wine at the store has maybe gone up 25 percent in that period while in the restaurants it seems to have doubled or more.

We figure it is because of the influence of so many in the business here who have NOB restaurant practices and started doing the same thing here. Not much to be done or said about it, it is what it is. You can chose not to order it or to order less.

Overall, restaurants here are pretty reasonable. Get away from this area and GDL and things can get downright cheap again.

Dining out here is still pretty affordable but at some point the prices are going to have to stop escalating much faster than inflation or people will start eating out less.

I know one long-time restaurant owner who quit serving water by the glass some time ago. He told us he got tired of people asking for a glass of water, then using the sugar packets on the table and asking for some lime. Hard to believe anyone would do that but he swore it happened way too often. He now offers a glass of tap water if anyone starts to make a fuss.

Canuck, you will fit right in here with your kind of fighting mettle. Ajijic and the web boards in particular seem to the the place to go to for just this sort of griping.

Never mind that unreasonable expectations are rampant everywhere. Charging for an ordinary glass of water is common in many of the places I have traveled to around the world. Often a bottle of still and a bottle of sparkling water is placed on the table when you arrive. If the bottles are consumed, you are charged for what you consumed.

We forget that we would not be around long drinking "ordinary water" around here from the tap. Instead the water the restaurant serves must be bought by the restaurant, usually in expensive "garafon" format. If they have to buy it I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to pass on those costs to the customer. Seems reasonable that if you order it, you should be prepared to pay for it. Making money is the whole point of being in business after all... Most restaurants here are very generous with refills and portion sizes. Why begrudge them the cost of the garafon of water?

The cost of garafons of water is negligible in the overall restaurant budget. Most people order drinks of some kind anyway. If I go to one that charges for water, it's no big deal. I'll pay. What I think irked the original objector was not the amount involved, but the unexpected requirement, one which is not common in the area.

"Free water" is a cheap price for a restaurant to pay for keeping customers happy. And no, I'm not really surprised that there are people who would want to create "limonada" from their freebie water. Frankly, I'm always amazed at the level of cheapness some foreigners display. Fortunately, they seem to be in the minority. The cheapness is not about the expat's poverty, since anyone knows it's cheapest of all to just eat at home.

Dining in Mexico is a great bargain compared to NOB or elsewhere. Celebrate that and tip generously.

I have never been to Adelitas - I prefer to grill my own meats.

But if Adelitas was smart, they would also provide a bowl with warm water and a slice of lime in it. It gets pretty messy eating ribs and is disasterous on cloth napkins. Then again, there are all types in the world, I'm sure that the many restaurants who offer this touch have tales of customers trying to sip, or spoon, from the bowl, thinking it is some sort of clear broth, or gourmet "palate cleanser".

Adelita's does provide a bowl of warm water with a slice of lemon if you have the ribs. Know that for a fact as I ate ribs there last night. They also provided a white poodle with a blue collar that was unleashed and running around the tables at the lower end of the establishment and, to top it off, there was a woman at the next table to us smoking a cigarette. Yet, in spite of these two irritations, I will be there again next week as the food and ambience are so good. PS. We only drink water and are grateful that they provide it free of charge..

We had ribs there on Monday and were not offered the warm water and lemon . . . or anything else to freshen our hands. Also, we were served rolls that were not edible as they were stale and hard as rocks. Clearly not fresh.. They "graciously" replaced the basket of rolls with fresh ones . . . but the first batch should never have been served.

We'll go back . . . however, if there is going to be smoking allowed, we'll patronize other establishments. We have no interest in sharing another's second hand smoke.

The place is very nice and the food we have had has be top-rate . . . they just need to be careful or business will go elsewhere. We have lots of options.

It is a great place to eat but when we were there 2 gringos brought in 2 dogs, one in a crate and one in their arms. The one in the crate barked most of the time and the one in the arms was touching the table top. Nothing was done about it.

Smoking is allowed out in the open space under the umbrellas.

I believe smoking is against the law even in outdoor eating spaces just as dogs are. The inconsiderate customers who think they are entitled to their cigs and dogs wherever they are do it anyway. They put restaurant owners and other customers in uncomfortable positions but that does not bother them.

Archived