Chapala.com Webboard

The Pueblo Magico of Chapala

alex45920

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You buy a lot of stuff, Cedros. You are blessed to be able to afford so much.

Blessed? A nonsense word. I have no choice. The largest part of that is taxes to Jocotepec and to my fraccionamiento.

I'm sorry Alex, after watching that piece of cheap glitz and eye candy, I can say that this is NOT what Chapala is all about and NEVER will become. It is a rural community of hard working, family loving peoples who have great respect for their past traditions and hope to maintain them into the future. A future of chubby, overgrown teenagers, wearing glitter suits and "Abercombie and Fitch" tees, playing "cool" border or euro techno music - not so much.

I don't know about that, Chillin. Carnaval tickets go on sale today. The theme of this year's event is "Hagamos Ruido" (Let's Make Noise). Headliners include Chuy Lizarraga, Inolvidable and Los Angeles Azules. Here's a taste of what's coming up...

I just got to this thread and would like to state to the posters that think people like myself, Mainecoons, and HarryB. are just a bunch of complainers - I thought I had made this very clear... I am one of the very few gringos here who actually speaks passable Spanish and who makes a huge effort to chat with my neighbors in east/central Ajijic - the area that has been most affected by the very loud noise issues. I routinely chat with various people around the village who do not speak any English. I value their input. I have also had several chats with certain bar owners and groups regarding the noise issues which they barely can comprehend.

The opinions I have presented echo the sentiments of my good, hardworking Mexican neighbors who have to get up early and go to school and work, unlike the gringos who could stay in bed and catch up on sleep after being kept awake until 2 or 3 or 4 a.m. by loud to extremely loud noise. That pertains directly to the gringo rock bands who used to torture this neighborhood during the week. It was due to our neighborhood efforts that that situation has been mitigated.

It may shock some of you to realize that the Mexicans feel the same way about the US-styled bar "music" as most of you feel about cohetes - it's nothing but obnoxious foreign noise, even when done in Spanish. Unlike the cohetes which come and go, bar noise is forever until it....isn't.

Clearly, some of you are not clear on the issues if you imagine that mere earplugs would actually help at all. Earplugs???? You've gotta be joking! We are talking about seriously loud noise here that earplugs would not even make a dent in! Plus, this would not work for Mexican families who would not be able to hear eachother speak. Plus, you can't even get good earplugs around here anymore! Plus, the Mexicans can't just up and move if they don't like something happening in their neighborhood.

My input on these issues is also influenced by the fact that I have had a lifelong involvement in music with classical and steady professional house band performing experience in the 70s. I am familiar with amplified sound equipment and all the issues surrounding it's use. Sadly, such equipment is used more like a toy here, with almost no one knowing what they are doing - because its all relatively new here. i have posted more informed details regarding these matters on other threads. At some point, Mexico had to develop traffic regulations when cars become common here. Same with amplified sound issues.

Why don't Harry and I have our mobs of supporters storming Chapala on these issues??? Duh??? That's because the good people of the village have their jobs and family responsibilities during the day!! They also feel that we gringos will be more listened to. Some of them are afraid to sign petitions. I have found out that a certain isolated fracc has had a much better response from Chapala regarding noise issues than the people of Ajijic who have been left to suffer. It took FOUR SOLID YEARS of neighborhood misery before El Barco was motivated to make the necessary changes regarding these matters and I salute them for finally doing so.

So, those of you living in the outlying areas can smugly deride our issues here, but don't think it couldn't happen to you!!! Restaurants and bars spring up or change hands all the time here, and the noise travels far...

Meanwhile HarryB. and a few others have worked hard to bring about positive changes for the community. Ojala!!! that these changes stick and improve the quality of life here for everyone!

And, what is wrong with newbies here reading all this and realizing that this area is not a candy-coated paradise??

Nobody has ever accused Harry B. of being a complainer. He barely posts because he is busy getting things accomplished rather than writing essays on a web board. Perhaps, you missed his report on the successful meeting held with the Presidente yesterday morning regarding this issue which included a majority of Mexican citizens. Many of us have already expressed our appreciation to him.

Archived