Chapala.com Webboard

Why is the Devil a part of Chapala Christmas Display (and Human Skulls)

Snafu

Driving back from the boat launch on Christmas day, we were stopped in traffic when I looked up and saw "The Devil" staring back at me. Complete with horns and wings. This display is directly outside the door of City Hall in the new median that was just built. People were walking by and not even noticing it. When I started pointing it out, they seemed aghast

P1000295%20resize_zpshjkaptd2.jpg

Directly below the Devil is what appears to be a Padre, but at the Padres feet is a human skull.

P1000297%20resize_zpsmijpryqz.jpg

Can anybody explain this. I'm writing a Letter to the editor of the Guadalajara Reporter. Hopefully, a few of you will also. How could a Devil and Skulls be part of a Nativity display. Sorry, had to came back for this.

The devil, skulls, skeletons are deeply part of Mexico`s culture. They appear alongside Catholic religious symbols in every part of the culture. Kind of all in the family. Put all the cards on the table. The "negative" has less power that way. Why hide death or evil or good? They`re all here in equal measure.

The devil will be burned on Dec 31 to "kill" the old year. As to the skull no idea

In my wifes rancho in Guanajuato there is a tradition, it's called burning (El Viejito),it's dressed and stuffed with straw and cohetes,every year it's named after someone in the family,they burned me several years ago..lots of fun!

Skulls are part of life and death and one does not exist without the other snd they appear in a lot of place.There something very healthy and practical about Mexicans wether it is related to living or dying. and padre or saint does not make a nativity scene.

Driving back from the boat launch on Christmas day, we were stopped in traffic when I looked up and saw "The Devil" staring back at me. Complete with horns and wings. This display is directly outside the door of City Hall in the new median that was just built. People were walking by and not even noticing it. When I started pointing it out, they seemed aghast

P1000295%20resize_zpshjkaptd2.jpg

Directly below the Devil is what appears to be a Padre, but at the Padres feet is a human skull.

P1000297%20resize_zpsmijpryqz.jpg

Can anybody explain this. I'm writing a Letter to the editor of the Guadalajara Reporter. Hopefully, a few of you will also. How could a Devil and Skulls be part of a Nativity display. Sorry, had to came back for this.

Here we go again... Another gringo who wants to change Mexican culture...

Yes, Chapala has a Nativity Scene and a really cool and well done one this year. And yes the devil is there watching and observing the birth of Jesus from afar. He is full of doubt and ready at any opportunity to tempt the young Christ child. The bottle of tequila represents temptation. The old man sometimes represents the prophet Isaiah and often times if he standing next to Joseph he represents temptation and doubt once again and always ready to tempt Joseph over whether or not it was truly a virgin birth. Satan and the old man are usually in traditional Mexican nativity scenes. It reminds people of the constant duality of good and evil. If you notice, good as being the birth of Christ is shown as being much greater and grandiose while Satan as being evil is shown as being lesser or weaker in its representation. All the focus is on the Nativity Scene and Satan is just off to the side witnessing it all while he is conjuring up diabolical plans to derail Jesus from his mission.

When I first saw a nativity scene here I was fascinated and curious to know the story behind it. When I found out, I loved it. Never occurred to me to be offended and write a letter of outrage -- especially before I had any idea what I was outraged about.

My best Mexican friend and his wife gave me a green skull for Christmas. They said it was my skull.

I also am wondering at the meaning/symbolism of this is.

maybe they think you've gone moldy?

Thank you More Liana, that explains it.

I’ve lived here for 13 years, never been back to the states, and I’ve never heard of this. I asked many Mexicans yesterday and today, not one of them had heard of it. There has never been a devil in the scene for the last 13 years, this is the first time.

I just got back from El Arbol De Café where I talked to the owner about it and he’d never heard of it. Admittedly, things may be different in Ajijic, as I never go there. Anyway this clears it up. Probably made for a good Christmas for a few that were able to rip someone else to make themselves more important. Long live Gringoism. Have a happy New Year everybody.

The first year we were here, we put up our antique Nativity Scene as customary. Our Mexican maid saw it and said "Oh Senore, it is not complete." Several days later she brought a small red devil and hid it behind a rock. Still not satisfied, she insisted on some of that moss-like stuff. Finally we were able to pass her inspection. Now, every year she checks to make sure the devil is in his proper place. (But we never seem to have enough "moss" to suit her.)

Archived