Chapala.com Webboard

Chapala's Historic Center to be declared a UNESCO World Heritage Monument

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for civic beautification generally, but only when it can be judiciously budgeted and the overall priorities are straight.

We see in the new Guadalajara Reporter that HarryB. and the lovely Vivianne Michel organized gifts of "dispensas" or pantry goods, otherwise known as food staples, as holiday gifts to the Chapala Police Dept. that all the local communities depend on. Do you get the picture?? The Chapala PD is so grossly underfunded that the police force needs staple food gifts at Christmas!

Harry B. sent out an email some time ago detailing the severe equipment shortages of that PD. I don't know why he didn't post that publicly, but it was quite shocking to realize what those officers actually have to work with to do their jobs. They are lacking a lot of the most basic equipment. Why, I don't know, and I won't speculate.

At the Ajijic Delegacion, the delegado does not even have a computer in his office, and his secretary has one with a non-functioning return key, and no internet for the entire office, which is why they no longer have their FB page.

With all that in mind, it does seem quite extravagant that Chapala is spending so much money on beautification. What if this "Pueblo Magico" status does not magically materialize?? Then, Chapala will be an attractive town with non-functioning emergency services. Is it worth it?

An article in the Guadalajara Reporter a few weeks ago touted the new, young, Director of Turismo, or whatever, stating, among other things, he wanted to "promote night life" by not allowing 24-hour convenience stores to sell alcohol between 12-2a.m., so those desiring to buy booze at that time would have to go to a bar. And also, that the 2a.m. limit for loud "eventos" at a bar or any other location, could be extended by extra payment to "extend the license" to 4 am, to the great aggravation of the neighbors. In other words, they are just making official the old payoff method of doing business. And this obviously benefits no one but the bar owners and those who receive the "permiso" money. Is this happening anywhere else than Ajijic?

I am not aware of Chapala promoting any other cultural art or music events other than the regular Christmas fare, in order to "increase turismo".

If the above is not factually correct, I am stating that from memory. I gave away my copy and was not able to find the whole article online. If you have better facts, please let us know.

The increase of very loud noise has been obvious recently and it aggravates the local Mexicans as much as the gringos scattered throughout central Ajijic. I know because I talk to a lot of them. Some progress has been made through the great efforts of Harry B. and a few other community members, both Mexican and gringo.

Just last Sunday, the Ajijic Plaza was set up with yet another, huge, fiesta-sized sound system with the unintelligible 3 crazy screamers holding forth (again!!! - I also heard them at 6:30 a.m. on Christmas morning) at an ear-splitting level as I walked by around 3p.m. I actually tried to talk to the sound guy but it was too loud - I had to scream and I already had a sore throat! He said "they" wanted it loud. I'm told that later on, there were other groups, and that there was some conflict with the Navidad Christmas Concert with the local youth orchestra inside the Cultural Center. And that they bothered the neighbors until after midnight.

Bottom line: This noise was repelling, not attracting, business. The young people who might like this kind of thing are not many, and they don't spend money. There were various arts and crafts vendors, not to mention restaurant owners who had to have lost money with all this sonic torture. Somebody has to be paying way too much to rent (or own?) these way oversized sound systems, as well.

My favorite artist, Jesus Lopez Vega, was exhibiting, but I told his wife that I had to leave immediately because I couldn't stand the noise. I am totally OD on it by now!! Another local merchant told me it was "bad for business".

So, Ajijic is like the ugly step-sister watching while her sister gets all the glamour and glory. Que Lastima!

Ah yes the last refuge of one who can't address rebut the points made: Get personal and/or tell someone to move.

Tired and lame, Alex. Try harder.

Hey, you got your answer from the very beginning. Someone posted a comment criticizing the municipal government for not fixing potholes on the carretera. I replied that I believed that road repairs on the carretera were the responsibility of the state and not the municipal government. HarryB verified that I was correct in that regard. That should have been the end of it. But no...you decided to confront me with a totally inane commentary about the failings of local government and insisted that I defend the local government. I told you then that I had better things to do than to argue the point...and I still have better things to do. That aside, I do want to express my deep resentment for the personal insults you feel so free to direct at me. I guess you feel that since you are the moderator here you can get away with the kind of bad behavior that is not permitted from members of this forum. (And yes, I did see the original comment before you edited it.)

Hey yourself. Your "answer" was incorrect as I pointed out and then you didn't address another point I made and then ended up with that oh, so tired cliche about moving if you don't like it. I simply pointed out that you hid out from addressing the points I made with your tired cliche.

But let's say you are correct. The new government and the state government are of the same party. If we had a government that really was concerned about all of us, do you honestly not believe that they would see this situation as a priority and be very proactive in dealing with it? Do you see any of that happening here?

I raised points with you about this situation which you, as an obvious advocate of the current situation, had ample opportunity to respond to and explain to all of us why this is a good thing. Instead you tell me to move. I say that is lame and a cop out. I am insulting your argument or lack of it and if you want to take that as a personal insult that is not my fault.

Me thinks you do protest too much. :) However, if you think you have been grievously harmed, report the post to another moderator and they will deal with it if they agree. We don't hesitate to moderate each other.

What I find most interesting about you and the other Chapala apologists here is that you all don't see that everyone, including Chapala, is getting short sheeted by this government. Sure, you all end up with pretty much all of what is left after our tax dollars are misspent or just flat out disappeared but you lose too.

I suggest you all get out and travel to other municipios in Jalisco and further and almost always you'll see places where government is doing a far better job of maintaining things for all their residents. For sure there are some places that share our situation but there are many more that don't.

It's a real eye opener to visit these towns, particularly when you take into account that this municipio has a richer tax base than most if not all of these places.

We are all getting ripped off, Alex, including you. Telling me to move for the sin of pointing out the obvious doesn't change a thing. When enough people figure this out and are ready to put a stop to it, that is when change will occur. For certain, pretending there's no problem here won't lead to change.

The first step is building a general awareness among us. As long as we keep pretending there is no problem, things will not improve.

I am hardly the only one here pointing this out. Harry has been and will continue to be tireless in advocating for fair distribution for the entire municipio. I and others are supporting Harry strongly in these efforts and I invite the rest of you to do so.

Personally speaking, as soon as I can I will join Harry in citizenship and hopefully put my considerable experience in political campaign management behind Mexicans who are as eager to change the culture of the Chapala government as many of us are.

Want a lesson on Mexican politics?Watch the film (La Ley de Herodes).

Excellent movie.

Once he becomes active in local politics, I can see MC meeting the same fate as the town mayor in the opening sequence. What's the name of that town? San Pedro de los Saguaros? Hmmm. Sounds familiar. Where have I seen that mentioned before?

When does the carretera stop on Hildalgo? In town? Because the repairs on it start before the park on the right as you enter Chapala. Are you suggesting the municipio made these repairs?

If so, wouldn't the same apply to the center of Ajijic?

Now that you've taken full advantage of the opportunity to make a complete fool of yourself, and since I really don't have anything better to do, I'ill answer your questions.

The road repairs you describe correspond exactly to the Chapala street map published on the chapala.com website. Please note that the roadway in question is clearly labeled Av. Hidalgo. I think it is fair to assume that these repairs where made by the municipal department of public works.

http://www.chapala.com/maps/chapala/chapala.html

Now here's the chapala.com street map for Ajijic. Please note that the main drag through the center of town is clearly labeled Carretera Poniente or Carretera Oriente, depending on whether it is to the west or to the east of Colon.

http://www.chapala.com/maps/ajijic.html

Mexico has a very rigid bureaucracy with clearly delineated responsibilities of municipal, state and federal jurisdictions, i.e., municipal government is responsible for maintaining streets, while the state is responsible for maintaining carreteras. Violating these delineations of authority could be considered an illegal misuse of pubic funds. Last year, hundreds of local mayors were investigated for such violations and 29 of the most egregious violators were indicted for their crimes. This is important information that you may wish to keep in mind in your quest to assume political control over the municipality.

Disclaimer: Any complaints about the accuracy of these maps should be directed to Coldwell Banker Chapala Realty...and not to me

The "main drag" from Chapala at the lights, through Ajijic, has several identifiers: first Hidalgo all the way to Chula Vista, where it becomes Calle Chula Vista. Then the carretera poniente (which simply means west highway), which I assume means responsibility changes hands there. Then it's Boulevard Jin Xi from the libramiento through La Floresta (again changing responsibility), then carretera again (oriente).

Headed west from Chapala, Avenida Hidalgo extends to the libramiento, where it becomes Carretera Oriente (East Highway) and then Carretera Poniente (West Highway) at Colon. Both east and west sections of the carretera in Ajijic are part of the Carretera Jocotepec-Chapala. Boulevard Jin Xi is strictly a ceremonial designation, in honor of Ajijic's sister city in China

The above isn't quite right according to the StreetSmart map booklet. Hidalgo extends west out of Chapala not to the libramiento (which is much farther north) but to the road that becomes the Carretera. I'm not sure exactly where the name changes from Hidalgo to Carretera but it is somewhere near the cross streets San Mateo or San Pablo in Riberas. Some maps show the Carretera extending farther east to Las Palomas thus making Hidalgo only 4 or 5 blocks long. StreetSmart shows it called Hidalgo in west Riberas then as you go east becoming the Carretera again for a brief stretch then Hidalgo. Confusion.

Archived