Chapala.com Webboard

Chapala's Historic Center to be declared a UNESCO World Heritage Monument

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pueblo Magico program, when it first started out, was a great idea well-executed. The first twenty or so towns were carefully chosen and met specific criteria (I've read the application/criteria to qualify, etc.). But these days, the Secretary of Tourism is handing out PM status like penny candy, rendering the designation more or less meaningless. So, sure. I can see either Chapala or even Ajijic being named a Pueblo Magico since it no longer means much of anything.

But seeking UNESCO World Heritage site status? That's just plain funny.

I guess it depends on which type of status you are looking for but when San Cristobal applied they had to burry the electrical lines in the center, change all the signage and do away with signage that was too large, fix sidewalks and so on They painted all the houses in the center did andadores and a whole bunch of things to reduce the car traffic...they still did not get what they wanted but they got something about culture and artesania so maybe after Chapala does all the work they will get something, you just never know.

The good part is that the city will have a goal to achieve even if they do not get it they will do some work to improve the area.

Those potholes on the carreterra in Ajijic are getting so big, pretty soon a car will fall right in them! I am tired of paying my taxes to Chapala to see it all spent on their religious tourism island, their Malecon and their plaza while our village goes begging.

Potholes? I thought they were caused by last summer's meteor shower.

They will have to develop a real cheezy slogan to go with. "The Pearl of the Pacific" is already gone - Mazatlan. "The Athens of Mexico" gone - Lagos de Moreno. They may have to choose from some of the less ambitious "B" list slogans left over.

Here's some to get them started:

http://gorving.com/enewsletter/may-2010/100-best-smalltown-slogans

Acapulco is also known as La Perla del Pacifico so there is no exclusivity that goes with those slogans and Chapala can choose anything it decides fits its image.. It is great for all the residents that Chapala is shooting high, that is how you get somewhere.

I believe pothole repairs along the carretera are the responsibility of the state and not the municipal government.

I thought that but can you explain why they fixed the potholes on Morelos west in Chapala but not any of them in Ajijic?

List of World Heritage Sites in Mexico. I'll leave it to others to decide if Chapala is up to their level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Heritage_Sites_in_Mexico

Is it possible this is about getting a free junket to NYC to go to UNESCO? Just asking....

I think they have a much better case as a Pueblo Magico but then so does Ajijic. Chapala sure did not help its case with that sterile makeover of the plaza there. Also that row of vendor shanties along the water sure doesn't qualify as either historic nor beautiful IMO.

I believe pothole repairs along the carretera are the responsibility of the state and not the municipal government.

I thought that but can you explain why they fixed the potholes on Morelos west in Chapala but not any of them in Ajijic?

I'm guessing that you're referring to Avenida Hidalgo which, as the name implies, is an avenida and not a carretera. My point is that complaints that the municipality does not repair potholes on the carretera are misguided since that is not their responsibility.

When does the carretera stop on Hildalgo? In town? Because the repairs on it start before the park on the right as you enter Chapala. Are you suggesting the municipio made these repairs?

If so, wouldn't the same apply to the center of Ajijic? I seem to recall that roads in town or through town in Jalisco are the responsibility of the municipio.

If we had a municipal government that was proactive in taking care of all the communities, don't you think they'd make sure that the road through the middle of its richest property tax base wasn't full of craters?

Those potholes on the carreterra in Ajijic are getting so big, pretty soon a car will fall right in them! I am tired of paying my taxes to Chapala to see it all spent on their religious tourism island, their Malecon and their plaza while our village goes begging.

Not just the Carretera - once again, Revolution is probably the most traveled north-south street and the topes are in such disrepair that we're jolted around more than being on a roller-coaster - it's really aggravating - bad on the car and the body. For heavens sake, put a bit of concrete in instead of putting sand on every few months which disintegrates within 2 weeks !! Gggrrr. And while I'm on the subject of topes, what's up with the one leading into the Superlake parking lot. It's so high, we practically lose our undercarriage every time we go over it.

In other words, Alex, you can't answer the questions.

I understand you live in Chapala and hence having that town get all the resources while the rest of the communities fall apart is something you feel you need to defend. I'm sorry you can't grasp the broader picture that funneling everything into Chapala while the rest of the municipio rots is neither equitable nor wise.

Since I moved here a little less than 8 short years ago we have witnessed the Chapala government squander huge sums of money on statues in the lake and other similar "improvements" there, we have seen basic street repair and cleaning outside of Chapala disappear, we have seen the debt piled up by Chapala and the money disappear for the most part with little to show for it outside of Chapala.

We have seen that municipality become one of 11 of the most indebted and fiscally insolvent municipal governments in Jalisco while property taxes have escalated three times faster than inflation.

And now we see the lopsided spending on showy and ephemeral "projects" for Chapala only get even worse under the "new" government while the rest of the community will get even less from a drastically cut budget.

Instead of the services we pay handsomely for in Ajijic, we've seen the Chapala government hand out permits for mega-amplified running until 1PM "concerts" and grossly polluting four wheeler events that put a pall over a square mile area.

Only the threat of an all out rebellion by the combined Mexican and expat community in Ajijic has persuaded "our" government to back off of handing out permits for these destructive events but only the most naive would believe they won't try to dump this sort of thing on us again.

You'll pardon me if myself and other residents who don't live in Chapala can't just pretend how wonderful this state of affairs is as you seem to think it is. The fact is that outside of the limits of the town of Chapala, the rest of this municipality is simply used and abused by this government and it isn't appreciated at all.

Anyone holding a permanent resident card or citizenship has a vested interest and right to be concerned about the future of this area. Your right to express your position and be heard by the authorities is essential. I encourage every permanent resident to take the next step and become a citizen. Then the powers that be really sit up and take notice.

List of World Heritage Sites in Mexico. I'll leave it to others to decide if Chapala is up to their level.

http://www.shape.com/lifestyle/mind-and-body/cell-phone-addiction-so-real-people-are-going-rehab-it

Is it possible this is about getting a free junket to NYC to go to UNESCO? Just asking....

I think they have a much better case as a Pueblo Magico but then so does Ajijic. Chapala sure did not help its case with that sterile makeover of the plaza there. Also that row of vendor shanties along the water sure doesn't qualify as either historic nor beautiful IMO.

UNESCO Headquarters is in Paris. But a good question nonetheless.

Archived