Chapala.com Webboard

Christmas lights in Chapala and NEW Fisherman's Fountain on Malecon

For those that haven't made it over to Chapala yet this Christmas Season, I would recommend everyone checking out the malecon one evening. They just restored the fisherman's fountain with dancing shoots of water and colorful lights to make it to resemble something possibly similar to the Alameda in Mexico City. And the new mayor really out did himself this year decorating the city of Chapala for Christmas. There are lights everywhere with a really nice looking manger scene to include an elephant and camel. With the many beautification projects that have taken place in Chapala recently, Chapala looks better than ever. Come over and enjoy! Because who knows how long the Christmas lights and décor will last. ¡Feliz Navidad a todos!

Your tax dollars at work, Lakeside, as usual in Chapala.

Meanwhile I walked to the plaza in Ajijic that was promised to be finished and saw it was nothing of the kind. And the potholes proliferate and the trash piles up.

Sorry, I can't get excited over this and I would imagine if you live in near totally neglected Riberas or San Antonio you might tend to get even less excited.

I guess I'm just a Grinch. :)

I don't understand what the changes to the median outside of City Hall are supposed to do. The center median is nice and neat but is it for walking across or parking on or? There are no seats there. I suspect people will try and park their cars there unless some barriers are installed.

The Nacimiento and decorations on City Hall are nice.

A world heritage designation will take a lot of work and continued maintenance to keep that status. Is there enough tourist and tax dollars available to pull this off? Having returned from Guanjuato City, I'd say Chapala and the surrounding areas have their work cut out for them.

Earning a Pueblo Magico designation brings in millions of pesos annually which is designated only for those cities which have earned that status and the efforts that need to be made to even apply for it are going to mean improvements that most of us will enjoy as residents of the area. I already have enjoyed what has been done in Chapala and looking forward to seeing more.

For those that haven't made it over to Chapala yet this Christmas Season, I would recommend everyone checking out the malecon one evening. They just restored the fisherman's fountain with dancing shoots of water and colorful lights to make it to resemble something possibly similar to the Alameda in Mexico City. And the new mayor really out did himself this year decorating the city of Chapala for Christmas. There are lights everywhere with a really nice looking manger scene to include an elephant and camel. With the many beautification projects that have taken place in Chapala recently, Chapala looks better than ever. Come over and enjoy! Because who knows how long the Christmas lights and décor will last. ¡Feliz Navidad a todos!

A great post and I totally agree even though I live in near totally neglected :rolleyes: San Antonio. The improvement in Chapala (town) helps all the pueblos in the municipio attract investment and business. Public spending can't do it all.

Chapala Centro is the “downtown“ for the entire Municipality of Chapala and, as such, is understandably decorated & promoted to attract residents from outlying areas, and even tourists. Some villages and neighborhoods may contain groups of individual citizens who participate in more local efforts. We were always impressed by seasonally festive decorations in the Seiz Esquinas area of Ajijc. In Chapala, there were also individual streets where neighbors obviously got together to decorate for any number of reasons. That‘s the way it should be.

The only "magico" thing about Chapala is how our tax dollars magically disappear.

I suggest that you talk to some municipal politicians NOB as I have. They couldn't fathom and were shocked at how we get all the services that we get here with such minuscule property taxes/water bills that we pay.

Loved your video. Thank you so much for sharing it. It makes me feel proud to be a part of the Municipality of Chapala to see the improvements in the city that is the center of our government and should rightfully be the show place of our municipality as it gradually becomes exactly that.

We were down by the Chapala malecon this evening. LOTS of people walking around the area, beautiful new pedestrian areas with LOTS of seating/benches, LOTS of planting areas (now completely filled with poinsettias), the wonderful and very interesting nativity scene. All in all a wonderful addition to the community; And the MANY people that turned out certainly seemed to be having a great time.

Really proud and amazed by the great use of our very modest property taxes. Chapala is definitely the biggest tourist draw for all of lakeside but that influx will spill over (to at least some degree) to the other communities - including Ajijic where we live. What a honor and privilege it is to be able to live in this amazing little part of the world.

Archived