Chapala.com Webboard

Nice To Know We're Not The Only Ones (I guess)

Mainecoons

Picked this up on another board. Note the location.

They kept us up until 3AM in SE Ajijic. Local party. Strange way to welcome the baby Jesus. Or maybe just anti-social thugs who have no regard for others.

The fireworks fiends have been doing this every Christmas for the last 3 years. This one was the loudest, and worst. To all fireworks shooters out here. Please get a brain. Christmas eve and early morning is not like New Year's Eve, or the 4th of July.

Quite the contrary, Christmas eve is a time for PEACE & QUIET. You know, like the song SILENT Night ?

At least it WAS until you morons came along. Here in Tampa, Florida, the city fathers (and suburbs) have been irresponsible on this. They allow fireworks to be sold to the public, in large quantities, in supermarkets, and in large tent set-ups in store parking lots. This just shouldn't be allowed, period. The only fireworks to be shot off should be done by local officials in well-regulated displays in public parks, not by the public itself.

What I heard last night and early this morning was a huge disrespect to Christianity, and to everyone who is a Christian, as well as everyone just wanting peace and quiet, and to be able to go to bed. This morning that wasn't possible until 3:30 AM when the madness finally ended. It went on for 5 hours, from 10:30 PM to 3:30 AM, with police doing little or nothing to stop it. People ought to be up in arms about this, and instead the SHEEPLE seem to just be willing to take it. But why ? To suit a bunch of inconsiderate fools who make money selling this crap, and shooting them off, and have no respect for the meaning of Christmas ?

I hate to say it, but our local police really flunked out out this morning. They should have been arresting these $%&/()s in droves, and it all should have been stopped.

You know, I live about as far up the hill in Ajijic as you can go. And the noise from the center of town, no matter how loud it's been, NEVER bothers me. But is it my imagination or are the sound amplifiers getting more and more powerful every year? All I can say is that I am glad that I don't live close to the noise sources, because I bet that I would not have been able to sleep and sometimes the music goes on all night.

Again it was great up here last night, but I bet torture for some of those who live close by the noise sources.

You are complaining about a party on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day????? Get ready for New Year´s Eve and morning because you are about to be kept up again.

In France we call the Christmas and New Year´s eve party / dinner Reveillon reveil is eake up so it is a Latin custom to party all night. This happens twice a year,,, the rest of the time it is just called a fiesta...

Sorry he says the party kept him up till 3am in SE Ajijic.. I think that as we age we get less tolerant of noise but I know that our Christmas was always noisy in my family and I doubt that it ever was quiet in Mexico . When family and friends get together to spend the night together and have alcohol to celebrate it is rarely quiet.

They are really disrespectful .... Those who think that we all need to hear their noise for those hours and that length of time. I would love to know who "they" are. AND I would love to know why the local police don't even come near them. I doubt any of them are related to the great people who put amazing meals together for us to enjoy, or those who create those wonderful sawdust carpets at the church, or the families who make nativity scenes with REAL babies and their children dressed in perfect clothing, or even the generous families in neighbourhoods who host Posadas for the children... None of them would be so disrespectful, nor would they have the time. These noise terrorists are lazy, not interested in making things beautiful for other people... Just interested in being responsible for setting of ridiculous explosions at times when babies are sleeping, tired workers are sleeping, little children are sleeping, and the world is desperate for peace. I am disappointed in our fellow man... He is not the person we hoped for. And who cares, really!

Probably the wrong place for this, but I absolutely love the noise, the fiesta, music, fireworks! I'm in central Chapala, turned off my radio so I could listen to the music from somewhere out there, watched the steady stream of fireworks and cannons, oh and these balloons with fire in them, that was a first for me. I don't under stand why someone wouldn't make the very most out of this, lol shoot off a few of your own fire works and dance!

Edit to add - not sure what time they stopped the fiesta in this area, I've been blessed with the ability to sleep thru pretty much any thing :) oh and still had garbage pick up this am, and it was early

Jeri and Oldyfeliz have the right attitude. We all knew when we moved to Mexico there would be noise. The same people are usually the ones complaining about it. They are the ones living in or near the village. We live in West Ajijic and know on Saturdays there will be a good chance we will hear the mariachis and cohetes from the eventos. This can be many Saturday's in a row. Sometimes we turn of sound in our own home and enjoy the music. Just part of living in Mexico. We love living here and try to laugh at the things that we don't like as we can't change it. Attitude is Everything.

I'll join the chorus about the complaining in post #9, I have a large family spanning three generations, all born in Mexico, all in different walks of life, and they certainly don't see things that way. I just wish people would learn to accept the way that things are done here, and quit being so negative.

We are workers, housewives, students, retirees,,,,,a cross section of people, so a good barometer of how it affects different types and age groups.

Maybe not as determined as others since we quit being part of problem at around 3:30 AM. :D

In my first few weeks here I quickly figured out it was going to take me at least a year to figure out all the holidays, fiestas, traditions, etc. Mother's Day was the morning after our arrival, and imagine our surprise!! It's almost 6 years later, and I'm still trying to figure it all out. One thing I found out early on was that the tradition on Christmas Eve is that you go from party to party to party, sometimes hitting the last party at 4am. Christmas Day, not such a big deal. So, when I go to bed on Christmas Eve, whether the parties have started or not, I have my earplugs at the ready and try to build in a nap on Christmas Day. This year was no different. And yes, I expect they very much know what they are celebrating. My neighborhood quieted around 5 or 5:30am.

We have to remember that we have the same group of malcontents that are always bitchin, complaining and wanting to see change to satisfy their view of the way things ought to be. They attempt to encourage and at times coerce others to join their CAUSE and are quick to condemn or remove those who do not embrace their idea of what should best for everyone.They are to be taken with a grain of salt as many others do see their sham attempts to make the our domain their imagined utopia..FWIW.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion... And we are all correct in our own way... Mine was based on the response of the animals to the bombs that one night... They were terrified and it just went on forever... I love the noise and celebration also... But the duration and time it ended took us over the edge... I have never heard Christmas Eve in Mexico become so loud... I think gunpowder was going cheap this year.. And I guess it is better as fireworks than in guns.... Enough said!!! I hope we all had a wonderful Christmas in the Style of Mexico we love.

It is difficult to believe that people move to Mexico, without understanding the customs and celebratory noise.

Yet, that is what often happens.

I must admit, I am embarrassed for those who try to change Mexico to be what they would prefer.

Embarrassed for it makes many of us appear to be the Ugly American (Canadian etc). Let us never

forget we are guests here.

Mexico is more likely to change us, than we are to change Mexico. That is a good thing!

We have to remember that we have the same group of malcontents that are always bitchin, complaining and wanting to see change to satisfy their view of the way things ought to be. They attempt to encourage and at times coerce others to join their CAUSE and are quick to condemn or remove those who do not embrace their idea of what should best for everyone.They are to be taken with a grain of salt as many others do see their sham attempts to make the our domain their imagined utopia..FWIW.

I don't see a lot of difference here and NOB in the bitchin' and complainin' by those who are considered as "guests" if they come from another country legally. Even those who break laws and go illegally to other countries often complain and bitch because the new country needs to be more like where they came from, even if their new lives (here and NOB) is a LOT better than where they came from. People here that came from NOB tell us in one sentence how much better it is to live here, then turn around and bitch when things are different than NOB.Go figure. :)

I'm embarrassed by expats who suggest that everything is Mexican culture. It feels like some don't have much respect for the vast majority of the people here, instead lumping them all in with a few antisocial people who think it is OK to get drunk and shoot off sticks of mini dynamite and blast their communities with over amplified rackets at any time of the day or night.

Out of the hundreds of Mexican homes here, how many do you see engaging in these activities? How many of these activities are carried out by folks who come down here on the weekends and holidays from GDL who wouldn't dream of behaving that way at home but don't mind doing it here?

Using my eyes and ears as a guide I would estimate only a few percent of the Mexican residents of this community do this.

I know what virtually all the cultured and educated Mexicans I have been privileged to meet and know over the 8 years we've lived here have to say about it.

I also had a house full of those folks in a recent meeting called and conducted by Mexican citizens to address these abuses and this is what they had to say about it, to a person:

They said it is low class and it is an insult to suggest that it is this country's culture. They, as do those who aren't in denial about this situation, recognize that it is a rapidly escalating problem for the entire community.

They want something done about it just as many of us do.

Sorry, but I'll have to place more credence in what folks like that tell me than I do expats who are so immersed in pandering that they will make excuses for anything and everything. That feels like condescension and disrespect to the majority of the people of this country to me.

We'll just have to agree to disagree here.

Careful!! He will change his hat and you will receive a warning or be set in a corner. His bitchin and preaching is legendary. He and a few followers determine what is acceptable.

Archived