Chapala.com Webboard

AT&T Cell Service?

Pogo

I suggest USACELL which has some sort of relationship with AT & T. I have a good contract with them that is much easier than fiddling with Telcel. Their office is at Av. Madero #435A in Chapala opposite Lenas. Ask for Alejandro who speaks perfect English and is very helpful.

The brand new AT&T office is open on the carretera heading east into Chapala if you are coming from Ajijic, San Antonio, Riberas, etc. The office is located in a strip mall on the mountain side before you get into Chapala proper, diagonally across from Farmacia Guadalajara and the Hotel Monte Carlo. Big flags in front in English and Spanish.

Just curious as to Telcel "nonsense" Exactly what does that boil down to?

I pay $349 a month. (abt $21USD) Never use all my 400 minutes, 500 SMS or 2500MB internet time I have unlimited Whatsapp, facebook, twitter etc..

I get a new smart phone every 2 years. Last year they also gave me a gift of a cheap phone with an Amigo plan chip & airtime which I gave to deserving gardener whose phone bit the dust.

Largest network of cell towers in Mexico, a company owned service center in the Centro Laguna with plenty of parking.

What am Imissing??

All the cell companies have arcane paperwork as do banks, dept stores, and every govt agency. That is normal in Mexico. Try changing the address on your ccard or visa... No proof of residence needed to change at Telcell. Also I get a satisfaction survey bt text before I leave the service center. Never been unhappy with customer service.

• 1 month later...

I bought a one-month service from AT&T (1USA) at the Chapala location as a test of the service before I commit to a long-term contract.  They are currently offering a one-year contract for about 1800 pesos, must pay in cash.  I paid 150 pesos for a single month of unlimited minutes and texts, free US and Canada calls.  I took the phone to my husband who is staying in a residence up the hill from the El Bajio area (just before La Christina).  He was at first able to make calls out to me (closer to town) but now it's not working and I haven't figured out why.  I selected 1USA from my stateside carrier options and had a long call with a friend yesterday only to have the call dropped several times.  I switched carriers on the phone to Telcel and had no trouble at all.  Telcel said they couldn't offer me a plan until I had my resident card but AT&T didn't care about that.  Now that I have the card, I may choose Telcel because no deal is good if your calls are consistently dropped.  I have good AT&T service from the states with unlimited calls and texts plus free roaming.  However, the difference in cost is $85/month for that service vs. $16 for two of us with AT&T here vs whatever Telcel costs here.

My understanding from people who have used 1USA/AT&T is that currently the coverage outside of major centres, including Lakeside, is not good.  That said, they say they will be setting up addition cellular towers etc. to provide country wide service.  So if you are travelling much outside of this area and Guadalajara you may not have any service for the immediate future.  That is the reason I will stay with Telcel as I want to make sure I have service in an emergency.

I have had great service with Iusacell (ATT) for the last 4 years no issues, great service, Telcel is more popular but not for me.

I pay $199.00 pesos 1 gig internet 1000 minutes national and 500 min international, used to be half that but when Att bought iusacell they doubled my plan. I have not had an issue with coverage and it continue to improve.

4 hours ago, rod.collins said:

I have had great service with Iusacell (ATT) for the last 4 years no issues, great service, Telcel is more popular but not for me.

I pay $199.00 pesos 1 gig internet 1000 minutes national and 500 min international, used to be half that but when Att bought iusacell they doubled my plan. I have not had an issue with coverage and it continue to improve.

My Telcel plan gives me 1GB Data, Unlimited free calls to the US and Canada as well as within Mexico for a total cost of 199 Pesos per month. And I get Internet speeds of 23.6 Mbps download and 22.30 Mbps Upload, which is far better than Telmex Infinitum.  I have installed the app for my VOIP service on my Android phone and can use it to make and receive calls with far superior sound quality, particularly for the other person.  But competition is always good......

I have had an AT&T cell phone for several years.  It has a U.S. telephone number and I have a plan called Viva Mexico.  I am allowed 400 free minutes a month, and 1000 free minutes on weekends.  I did not want texting or internet so my monthly price is $65.00 per month billed on my credit card. 

So far my wife and I are very happy with our IUSACELL service. All of our use is in the Lake Chapala area so far without any complaints. Service in Villa Nova has been excellent, we've logged many hours of calls to the US without any call quality issues or early terminations. Data speeds for me in Villa nova are 5 down, 1.5 up which is superior to our Telmex DSL............ I can't speak to service quality outside of our area, but hopefully this helps those interested in the Villa Nova area. 

Also, below is a copy and paste from another topic showing the service we signed up for. It was such a good deal I really couldn't say no: 

We recently pre-payed a plan with IUSACELL (AT&T affiliated). From my understanding we have unlimited calling and texts to the US and Mexico for use that originates in both the US and Mexico. The plan also comes with 1GB internet and 1GB bonus internet.

http://www.iusacell.com.mx/planes/att-unidos-damos-mas.php

If you prepay 10 months, they'll add 14 months "free". A 24 month plan came out to just shy of 3,000 pesos. My translating ability is a little bit weak, so I'm not sure if the bonus 1GB is only for the 10 months we technically paid for, or the full 24 month contract.

• 1 year later...

Hope you don't mind my jumping into an old post. I'm switching to AT&T because I can't get a plan with Telcel. I'm a temprale and I can only have pay-as-you-go, and since I am not here in the summer, I can't. They also want three people who know you to verify your account - even if you Mexican! I mean, give me a break, I want to give them money and they don't want to take it.

32 minutes ago, Canada-Mike said:

Hope you don't mind my jumping into an old post. I'm switching to AT&T because I can't get a plan with Telcel. I'm a temprale and I can only have pay-as-you-go, and since I am not here in the summer, I can't. They also want three people who know you to verify your account - even if you Mexican! I mean, give me a break, I want to give them money and they don't want to take it.

It my understanding that Telcel have been ripped off many time by people signing up for a plan then not paying when they go NOB, also getting a free phone with a plan then disappearing after 6 months.. Not sure when Tecel changed their policy but years ago all you needed was your passport to sign up for a plan with a free phone, 

Archived