Chapala.com Webboard

Tick control

Keeping your property free of ticks is like asking rain not to fall. Ticks are on birds and animals (rats, mice, cows, etc). Birds fly over, ticks fall off, now it's in the yard. Cows, horses, sheep, goats, rats, mice, deer walk thru the grass, ticks fall off, you or your critter walk thru, now it's in your yard. Keep your grass short, don't have too many wild spaces for your animals to play. Ticks, mosquitos and other pests do have aversions to some plants such as mint, lemongrass, sage, lavender, basil and rosemary.

When we moved into our home (in the country here) it was tick infested! In spite of having flea and tick treatments for the dogs - they ended up with a lot of ticks. We now have Fumiga come 3x a year and spray the perimeter of our property. Tick free now even though we have lots of wandering cows! Call Renee at Fumiga - great guys, honest and reliable. 331 464 6705.

Good luck

I know this isn't suitable for most folks, but chickens and especially guinea fowl love ticks. I had both for several years NOB, and the day after I stopped keeping them the ticks showed up. Both male and female guineas are noisy, but female chickens are quiet. I'd rather keep a couple of hens than spray poison.

Archived