Chapala.com Webboard

Septic system problem

MtnMama

We are renting and the septic system seems to have some major issues. It was supposedly totally pumped out in August by the owner but filled again within a month - with two adults who are careful water users. Now it seems to be having problems again and we would like someone to evaluate the system. Any suggestions?

We were told it is a septic system with more than one large tanks, but they fill rapidly with grey water, especially after a rain. I know they don't have leach fields here but shouldn't the water go somewhere? It sounds like something isn't working properly but we've had the toilets looked at and they're fine.

If the surrounding soil has a lot of clay the water from the septic or holding tank won't drain away properly. Do you put paper down your toilets?

Some of the septic systems are pretty rudimentary and need to be modified. You may need an "expert" analysis.

Rain water should not be allowed to get into the septic system.

Grey water in many systems does not go into the septic either, only the "black" water from the toilets. Flooding a septic tank with grey water will upset the biomass in the tank and prevent it from digesting properly. This will result in the need to have the tank emptied and cleaned more frequently, especially if there is no weeping bed of any significance or if the existing weeping bed is clogged. Many systems here have "aerators" in the tank which aid with the digesting process. You need to have a competent plumber come and check things out for you.

I was hoping that someone would answer the OP question, that is, recommendation for a person lakeside that can inspect a septic system. I'm hoping that someone has a good recommendation, because we'd also like to have someone take a look at ours. If anyone has used and would recommend a good septic service company, please share.

• 1 month later...

Archived