Chapala.com Webboard

7 Christians Jailed For Refusing To Convert To Catholicism in Mexico

Aquaponicsman

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A nuisance to who cb?

To my family,they come around once a week knocking on our door trying to sell us on their brand of religion and I have to send them walking,that's the nuisance factor.

... and I always thought that Catholics were part of the Christian religion. Learn something new every day...

Of course they are. A misnomer....should be correctly identified as evangelical protestants, who are sometimes overly zealous in their proselytizing. If they were tolerant they would leave the Catholics alone.

Of course they are. A misnomer....should be correctly identified as evangelical protestants, who are sometimes overly zealous in their proselytizing. If they were tolerant they would leave the Catholics alone.

You see a lot of signs in the windows of homes here that say (En esta casa somos Catolicos),why,because they don't want to be bothered by the"hermanos".

I once had an acquaintance who was all caught up in the Crystal Cathedral scene in Los Angeles, evangelical as can be. She alleged that Catholicism was a "cult", so you may see where these folks are coming from.

I understand that things get a little wild and woolly in the Chiapas village areas.

Had a friend on a Mormon mission to Brazil deported because he thought it amusing to try and recruit his flock on the steps of the cathedral after Sunday mass. Wasn't as much a religious issue, more of an issue of being a public nuisance.

My brother was a Mormon missionary in Matehuala about 35 years ago and got arrested for knocking on the wrong door,it was the local priest's house..haha.

Sorry guys but this is not new and this is why 15 years ago San Cristobal had 45 000 christian refugies moving in the hills north of town .

It is a very complicated issue and does not have a whole lot to do with religion . La Margaritas is a Tojolobal indigenous community a couple of hours south of San Cristobal, it is also a zapatista area.

In indigeneous area the traditional catholic church (which has very little to do with the catholic religious and more with the Maya one) is totally tied in the culture , communal duties, land ownership and so on. All men when they marry become subject to being drafted by the communauty for various duties. Since there is no separation of church and state in indigenous communities some of the duties are religious and some are not. A man may have to be a policeman for 1 year or 2 or being in charge of the cohetes or stay with an assigned saint certain days of the week and take care of the saint, clean him, burn candles, pray , burn incense buy the flowers and so on. All of those jobs are atype of drafting and being drafted with your wife is a great honor for the couple.

The protestants know as cristianos or hermanos refuse to take part in these functions or cargos . If one refuse to take part in the running of the communauty you have a few choices in many communauties, you move out and if you live on communal land you lose your house and land, or convert to catholicism and participate in those jobs or go to jail.

It has little to do with religion and everything to do with power and politics and ther eis nothing new, it has been going on ever since the government in Chiapas has allowed missionaries to go into indigenous communauties.

A friend of mine who is from Las Margaritas believes the government did allow the missionaries in to divide the indigenous communauties and he may not be that off...

By the way in Chiapas all protestants sects are evangelists and forbid alcohool and that includes Presbyterians and Methodists.

BMH has it down. It was interesting talking to the pro mayan religion tourist guide rationizing the situation of the forced removal converted in Chamula. Thought his speech was not quite right and I did some research and these folks can be really mean about religion. More than once justice in Chamula is gasoline and a match on folks. The argument to us was that if we don't do this our beliefs will be lost. A kind of sadness is in nearby St Cristobal from all the natives thrown out of Chamula. I thought the area was very interesting if not slightly sad. Others who are more religious might get upset as some of our tour did over the stories. Not trying to be Debbie downer and I will go back to study and visit again. The Mayan Medicine Museum is very interesting past all the barbers (had an audience when I went to get my beard trimmed) in the market. The arborateum (sp??) is very nice also. I had no problems and walked all over the place. Nothing like it but you do have to accept things some people might not want to.

The first Christians were those who followed Christ, before there was a Catholic Church.

History, as told in the new testament: Peter was the follower (apostle) who was told by Jesus "Thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church". Peter was the first "pope" of the Catholic church. As his reward for starting a church the Romans didn't like, he was crucified upside down, the position by his own request as a tribute to Jesus.

Question: If not the original twelve apostles, who DID found the Catholic Church?

Yes there were Christians before the Catholic church was founded and do not forget there is also an Eastern church that is not Catholic and just as old.., one group chose Peter another group chose another apostole to follow and that doesnot make then lesser Christians than the Catholics.

Yes there were Christians before the Catholic church was founded and do not forget there is also an Eastern church that is not Catholic and just as old.., one group chose Peter another group chose another apostole to follow and that doesnot make then lesser Christians than the Catholics.

So, who founded the Catholic Church?

What about the part, "Thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my church?"

Disclaimer: I am not Catholic, just interested in the history of Christianity.

IMHO pretty much all institutional religion hasn't followed the teaching of Christ well.

The "thou art Peter", etc., is a pretty strong argument that he was the first "pope". However, some schools of thought dismiss the New Testament as having been written hundreds of years post-Jesus by who knows who. Time has a way of distorting things.

Institutional religion has down more harm than good, overall........but that's just my opinion. When I see the bitter fighting between sects, I just wonder.

I wonder what the word for stone and the name Peter was in the time Jesus spoke in his language and then it was written in a different language and then translated and translated, Good luck on the autenticity of that one. Pretty convenient for the Pope though isn´t it?

Archived