Chapala.com Webboard

help with diabetes

bdmowers

For someone with type 2 diabetes where neuropathy has set in, besides getting their medicine and eating the proper foods, what are some other things that can done to help them? I`m thinking about things like diabetic socks, etc. Speaking of which, does anyone know where to get diabetic socks here in the Chapala area?

The best thing you can do for your friend is to make sure he has a good education on how to control his blood sugar. If he is a Mexican, the classes at DIF are not particularly helpful. And a support group would be invaluable. If he is getting up several times at night to pee, his blood sugar was too high when he went to bed. Impaired circulation may or may not accompany the neuropathy. If his legs or ankles are swelling he would do well to see a vascular doc.

Walmart carries the socks in two locations...by the pharmacy and also mixed in with the regular socks.

It is stated, anecdotally, in many places on the internet that cannabis helps to control both blood glucose levels (even to the point of requiring less insulin)and to help with the Neuropathy and to help with circulation. Google is your friend.

Read labels. Sugar has 4 calories to 1 gram, so if the label says sugar 10 grams per serving then the serving portion would have 40 calories of sugar.

Also get regular A1C tests.

Also natural foods such as honey will raise your sugar. If it is sweet, your sugar will go up no matter where it comes from.

Beware of hidden sugars on labels like fructose, mannitol, sorbitol, corn syrup, all will raise blood sugar. Table sugar is the worst.

Read Dr. Bernstein's book. His methods are pretty drastic, compared to conventional medical knowledge, but they work. Diabetes can be controlled, and complications such as neuropathy can be avoided or even reversed.

Pete

Awesome! Makes perfect sense to me.

Here's the Amazon link to the most recent publication... unfortunately it's not available in Kindle format...

http://www.amazon.com/s?search-alias=stripbooks&field-isbn=9780316182690

Lake Med is at 141C....next to el Serape in the little strip center with the liquor store with a large Miller Beer Sign in the window and across from the gym and the Chiropractor...Dr Youcha. Her telephone number is 766 2088.....They are fluent in english and are fully stocked with professional medical supplies

For someone with type 2 diabetes where neuropathy has set in, besides getting their medicine and eating the proper foods, what are some other things that can done to help them? I`m thinking about things like diabetic socks, etc. Speaking of which, does anyone know where to get diabetic socks here in the Chapala area?

I went to a clinic in San Diego called Optimum Health Institute last June to try to get mine under control. The diet was based on all RAW organic and juicing wheatgrass. Within 3 days my glucose levels were approaching normal levels (125) without taking Metformin. After 3 weeks I lost 30 pounds and blood glucose was between 85 to 90, down from 300! Also witnessed miracles with cancer patients. It's all about our screwed up, highly processed western diets!

I'm on a maintenance diet now that includes some meat but still eat mostly raw, do fresh organic juicing and green smoothies with fruit. I'm medication free and diabetes is gone after having struggled with it for over 12 years.

EXERCISE!

That's somewhat akin to telling someone who is deaf that they can learn Spanish easily.

I'm happy for you if you can exercise. Those of us with problem knees, ankles, backs, shoulders are not so lucky. BTW, even though I don't "EXERCISE", my fasting blood sugar is 65 mg%...do ya think there might be a little more involved in diabetes than "EXERCISE"?

You can google it if you don't believe me.

To further complicate matters, in Canada, they use mmol/l (milli moles per litre) and the normal range is totally different. International Units, in the lab, were mandated in '83 and we all walked around with cheat sheets in our lab coat pockets. It was a nightmare.

what about excersice? all the Drs. besides the diabetologist, wants me to do excercise! even the eyes Dr. told me to do excercise! what a fixation with excercise....:)

what about excersice? all the Drs. besides the diabetologist, wants me to do excercise! even the eyes Dr. told me to do excercise! what a fixation with excercise.... :)

Exercise will reduce your blood glucose level considerably! Take a reading with your meter, then take a 20 minute walk and test it again right after. You will be amazed. Mine would drop up to 50 points after the walk. My diabetes is now nonexistent as a result of diet and exercise and I'm medication free.

I went to a clinic in San Diego called Optimum Health Institute last June to try to get mine under control. The diet was based on all RAW organic and juicing wheatgrass. Within 3 days my glucose levels were approaching normal levels (125) without taking Metformin. After 3 weeks I lost 30 pounds and blood glucose was between 85 to 90, down from 300! Also witnessed miracles with cancer patients. It's all about our screwed up, highly processed western diets!

I'm on a maintenance diet now that includes some meat but still eat mostly raw, do fresh organic juicing and green smoothies with fruit. I'm medication free and diabetes is gone after having struggled with it for over 12 years.

That sounds an incredible weight loss. I guess people without diabetes would also benefit from that kind of diet??..or not

My husband did exactly the same thing but he did not do it through any type of diet..He fractured his back had to have back surgery and the pain for many weeks was such that he could not eat. Lost a whole bunch of weight in a month and is not prediabetic any longer.

Archived