Chapala.com Webboard

Canada and Mexico force USA to back down

Fred Habacht

An international lawsuit was won to allow Mexico and Canada to place multi million US dollar taxes/tariffs on USA beef unless the law to require a history of where/how the beef was produced and sold was stopped or reversed.

The deadline had passed but the USA Congress repealed the law on Friday to prevent the need to apply the new taxes/ tariffs from starting.

Canada and Mexico took their complaint to the WTO. There was no "lawsuit." The labeling law required stating where the animal was born, raised, and slaughtered. I liked it, I want to know where my food comes from. I fully expect that some name brand beef producers will come up with a way to identify their products while the others will remain a mystery.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am not sure that country of orgin labeling is a bad idea at all. I am certain that many people would pefer Monterrey's grass fed feedlot fattened beef to much of what is available in the USA.

Monterrey has some wonderful Carnicerias. There is Carnes Ramos, "the Neiman Marcus of meat" or antoher of my favorites one of the nine locations of Carnes Finas San Juan .You'll be hard pressed to beat the carnes in this area though Sonora has it's supporters.

Alberta beef is really fine beef as well and has many adherents.

I have friends who email order boxes of steaks from Carnes Finas San Juan and pick them up at GDL airport that compare well with any fresh beef in the world. Most folks aren't buying beef agen in the 1/4 or half and I haven't seen it at either of these markets.

Archived