Chapala.com Webboard

Scoliosis leading to potential nerve or joint pain/other complications

Serenity6

My EMG wasn't bad at all. The needles hurt more because I was tensing up. The zapper was more bothersome, but overall, I've had much worse. I imagine that each patient is different, and it can potentially be a really painful experience. I had no blood (maybe they wiped it off as I couldn't see) but I suppose it all depends the area they are testing, how many needles are needed and where they need to go, etc. I had nobody watching me - I suppose its like the dentist. If you see that needle before they stick you, it looks about 4 feet long, If you don't see it, its not all that bad, providing they numbed you up well at first.

I also took a mild sedative before my EMG, so maybe that helped, who knows.

Your nerves must have reacted when shocked. Mine all flatline. If you have nerves like mine that do not jump, the doctor will keep inserting the needle until he gets a reading he likes or the patient (me) says don't stick me again.

I had one neurologist who told me to flex my bicep when he put the needle in. He wanted me to flex the muscle against the needle because he wasn't getting any reading. I told him he was crazy and I left.

If you have normal nerves and reactions, it is a quick test. If you have nerves that are damaged like mine it can take hours, and getting your hands and feet stuck with needles is extremely unpleasant. My last test was 8 hours and I will never have another one.

The test will tell the neurologist where the injury is if the nerves are reacting.

Barbaric is a discogram. Don't ever get that test. An MRI will show everything a discogram will show without the pain.

A guy friend of mine, the strongest person I know, fainted during his discogram. They had to revive him. He's been through all sorts of trauma but that discogram did something to him that took a long time to emotionally recover from. I thought "nerve fries" were bad (those flouroscopic nerve root injections where they fry off the part of the nerve that is damaged/hurts in my SI, lumbar and thoracic joints, and even sedated, THAT was bad.) But a discogram, I have heard, is truly barbaric.

Archived