Chapala.com Webboard

Scoliosis leading to potential nerve or joint pain/other complications

Serenity6

So, here we go again. Recent diagnostic tests reflect a possibility that my 15 years of agonizing pain might be the result of thoracic scoliosis that might be smushing some spinal nerve roots or causing severe joint inflammation.

Anyonne have any recommendations of surgeons who are experienced with scoliosis and potential complications associated therewith?

So far, appointments with Dr Dittmar, Larios, Consuegra and a host of others have resulted in them happily taking my money then responding that they have no idea what's wrong with me, and I am sent on my merry way, with no referral to another doc or no follow up appointment. I have great insurance and don't ask for discounts. I understand my case is a difficult one, but I cannot bear this level of constant pain anymore and the effects its had on my life as a (relatively) younger person who really should be working and playing and not stuck laying down in agony all day.

Any referrals, (if you prefer private messages, especially of spinal docs to avoid, I really would appreciate any PMs.)

Cheers.

NOB is the place to go for real doctors that use approved methods.

I do know that a well-repsected chiropractor, Michael (and his brother) Matt Janzen, located in San Jose, CA, have invested several years now in non-surgical methods for dealing with scolisosis. Of course it depends on the age of the patient and many other factors, but just in case anyone is in that area for a visit, these guys (I prefer Matt) are really up to date and not your typical chiros. Of course, they are not MDs or surgeons.

Rectalgia, may I ask why you are of the opinion that doctors in Guad - many of whom treat wealthy Mexicans who have the money to pay for such surgeries and treatments - are not "real" or otherwise capable of dealing with scoliosis-related issues? What do you base this on? I am not trying to argue with you - quite the opposite. Have you heard factual instances of Mexican doctors (regardless of whether they were trained here, in Europe or in the US) are unable to deal with scoliosis issues?

Just to illustrate that location does not necessarily guarantee better-qualified doctors: when I lived in the US, I had an uncommon, but not unheard of, vascular tumor that sent me to hell. The "best" doctors at Stanford Universtity and University of CA at San Francisco, just to name a few, either misdiagnosed me, insisted the blob on my MRI was neither a tumor nor the cause of my pain (which was located, oddly enough, in that exact same area) and most told me the severe pain was all in my head and I simply needed to strengthen my core muscles and see a psychologist.

Had my then-husband, a French national, not taken me to France after 5 years of me wasting away on the couch (bankrtupt, unable to work, on disability and heavily medicated so I wouldn't jump off a bridge from the pain) I would've been dead either from the vasulcar tumor itself, which had grown and was on the verge of bleeding out, or simply from just blowing my brains out with my Glock. A person can only take so much severe, chronic pain before they break.

The French docs saved my life and performed the surgery that the "best" docs in California insisted was both impossible and not relevant to my condition.

Hence, and respectfully, I am curious how you reach the conclusion that there are no "real" docs in a city as large as Guadalajara that are capable of dealing with scoliosis issues.

I appreciate your input.

I have never heard of good surgery results in Mexico. I know I will get a lot of flack, but I personally would hesitate to have my spine cut by a doctor at Johns Hopkins or the Mayo Clinic. In Mexico, not a freakin chance.To have that kind of work done in Mexico, in my opinion, is insanity at best. If you are over 65, you can without paying any monthly premium, like for Part B, that pays for the hospital and surgeon 80%.

I once had kidney failure in Veracruz that totally made me incapacitated. My ex-wife, a dual national, took the bus to where I was and drove me back. She refused in what was a two day trip to stop anywhere in Mexico to get me help. I was so out of it, I could not even hold a cup of water. When we hit the border she put me in an ambulance and I spent six days in a hospital where they, saying the chances were small, to get my kidneys working again. I really doubt the outcome would have been the same had I gone to a Mexican, what they call, hospital.

My advice is to buy evacuation insurance to get real help when needed. That is my advice and I am sticking to it. I really don't care to hear about others experience, it is a proven fact that the wonder drug, placebo, cures 30% of all ills. Doing nothing has better results than many surgeries leading to the belief it was a miracle that Dr. X cured someone where doing nothing has a better long term result.

It's your body, you make the decision, but again, my suggestion is do nothing until you think you need help surgically and then go north.

If you believe that a chiropractor NOB or in Mexico is a real doctor, ignore me, you are beyond reality. Good luck!

Gringal, "civilized", oh how I wish. I see all too often the unnecessarily, underhanded insults that certain posters feel the needs to post (why? If they feel the comment to which they are responding is stupid, why even bother responding with nothing more than an indirect/direct insult?) But that's besides the point.

While NOB MD training is far more intensive than what is typically required down here, and in the US you have an actual medical board to which you can file complaints and that actually investigates and oversees doctors to some degree so there is some level of oversight and accountability beyond a mere civil lawsuit of medical malpractice, I have seen a heap of docs and surgeons both NOB and here, and I see no difference in quality or compassion.

In both the US and Mexico, I have experienced that most MDs are average. A few are spectacular. A few are walking malpractice and commit disastrous things to patients, but here, they can much more easily get away with it. Witht the exception of the one worst experience of my life by a local MD who committed such an elementary and egregious error to me, I've had generally worse experiences in the US than here, its more affordable here, and although I had only one surgery in France, it was the best treatment and experience I've had.

There are plenty of Mexicans who can afford to undergo complicated surgical procedures, and do so with success, by doctors here who are extensively trained and keep up with their knowledge by continuing their education with participation in seminars and what not. So often, NOB-ers have this idea that going to a dentist or doc in Mexico means you walk into some concrete/mud hut and they start to rip out teeth with nothing but a shot of tequila for the patient and a pair of filthy pliers.

Just the dental care (including actual dental surgery) I've had here has been wonderful, and has saved me tens of thousands of dollars. But I suppose I'm telling you something you already know.

"The best doctors don't need them and won't take new ones."

Gringal, that's a pretty broad statement encompassing a huge nation. And it happens to not hold true in my neck of the woods.... and elsewhere too I'm sure. I agree that, living in Mexico, needing a Doc quickly would point me to Guadalajara and not back into the US.

"The best doctors don't need them and won't take new ones."

Gringal, that's a pretty broad statement encompassing a huge nation. And it happens to not hold true in my neck of the woods.... and elsewhere too I'm sure. I agree that, living in Mexico, needing a Doc quickly would point me to Guadalajara and not back into the US.

I am referring to the situation I came from in California, and I'd be willing to wager that it's the norm since it makes sense.

I'm very happy with the medical care I've received here in Mexico, and not so happy with the situation in the U.S..........but that's based on individual experience and, as you point out, cannot necessarily be applied to the U.S. in general. The main difference I've found is that in Mexico, the docs don't try to rush you out.

Dr. Gonzalez who comes to Maskaras clinic every Friday is an excellent orthopedic surgeon, but I don't know if he does back surgery. You could stop by there Friday and check with him. He is in and out of his office, so you could catch him when he comes out into the lobby and ask him. This Friday is Christmas Eve so don't know if he is scheduled to come out here.

I have never heard of good surgery results in Mexico.

Of course you are going to get flack--your statement is ignorant; just because you haven't "heard" of any good results, doesn't mean there haven't been any. Someone might actually take your remarks as gospel and be harmed by giving credence to your ideas.

I have a friend with scoliosis who wears a "soft" brace consisting of straps that hold her in a more erect position. If you want, I can have her contact you about her efforts to obtain comfort from a problem that is difficult to treat. Let me know.

If someone wants to know if he has nerve damage or nerves being pinched, the best test is an EMG. It hurts like the dickens, especially if it is done on the hands and feet, but it tells a neurologist exactly where nerves are injured. I've had this test 5 times and I won't be doing it again, but it is better than having surgery you might not need.

http://www.webmd.com/brain/electromyogram-emg-and-nerve-conduction-studies?page=2

Sea, and others, I picked my screen name to give some of you old fogies something to talk about. I actually think it reflects my opinion of many of the shut-ins that dominate this board, in Mexico and the US. I wish there was a medical term to say, eat my shorts.

It's hard to believe you have an EX-wife.

To everyone that has provided helpful responses, thank you! I appreciate it all. I recently did have a an EMG, and I can't say I cared too much for the zapper thingie. My results came out normal, but my docs are convinced (and I believe them) that I do have nerve damage. Maybe the next step is a nerve block to see if it has any effect. The back and spine are just so complicated and MRIs, CTs, bone scans, etc are wonderful inventions, yet it barely scratches the surface as to what is truly going on not just in your back, but what happens in your brain and how your body processes pain after one has suffered years of intense chronic pain.

As to the poster who said they had not heard of any positive surgical responses in MX, is this based on a peer-reviewed poll? How many people did you ask? I guess my point is obvious. I don't know about any theoretical physicists in Mexico either, but...so what? A person's lack of awareness as to a factual issue is absolutely meaningless if they offer up a (meaningless) opinion on the matter.

My husband could not walk anymore and was in pain, he had back surgery in Guadalajara and is walking again . Rectalia has obviosly not clue or is a troll or both but who cares..you can have back surgery in Mexico.

Is the EMG test the one where they stick needles on you and you bleed all over the place? My husband had a test wher ethey stuck those needles i him..it looked awful but he did not complain too much..

My EMG wasn't bad at all. The needles hurt more because I was tensing up. The zapper was more bothersome, but overall, I've had much worse. I imagine that each patient is different, and it can potentially be a really painful experience. I had no blood (maybe they wiped it off as I couldn't see) but I suppose it all depends the area they are testing, how many needles are needed and where they need to go, etc. I had nobody watching me - I suppose its like the dentist. If you see that needle before they stick you, it looks about 4 feet long, If you don't see it, its not all that bad, providing they numbed you up well at first.

I also took a mild sedative before my EMG, so maybe that helped, who knows.

I am VERY pleased to hear your husband is walking again! That is truly some incredible improvement. To go from not being able to walk, and in agonizing pain, to walking (and I hope with a much lower pain level) is great news. I accept that I will live with pain for the rest of my life, but I just hope they can find a way to reduce it about 50% - that could get me back to work and mild play and sort of make life worth living again.

I've had a couple of nerve conduction studies, arms and legs, and in both cases my results were "you're fine... no damage anywhere". While not a real pleasant procedure there was surely no blood letting. Nonetheless I still have some numbness in my finger tips and a bunch of numbness in my feet. "They" say it's not Peripheral Neuropathy either but 'could' be the start of spinal stenosis as L2-3 is getting narrow.

I do have significant lower back pain, probably associated with some diffuse disc problems and facet disease, but no one yet wants to associate my foot numbness with that. I have had a couple of sessions of nerve ablation (facet rhizotomies) to address the lumbar back pain and that eases that pain 'for several months' but the foot numbness does not go away with those ablations.

My point is that much of our 'pain' is truly hard to diagnose and can come from several sources. The trick is to find a Doc who is very good/persistent but until one does, it seems to me we have to go on a 'hunting expedition'. I've been on that expedition for several years but haven't found a 'sharp-shooter' yet. :011: But fortunately I did have a Doc say that he was not comfortable trying back surgery to see if it might help because he was 'highly uncertain' it would help.

Write to David at lakesidebowen@yahoo.com. He does Bowen therapy and is amazing. Biggest problem is that he helps so many people fix long term problems that he is very busy. He is definitely someone you should try.

Yes, do this - I had scoliosis and David fixed it. Back and hip pain gone. You won't regret it and it's not invasive.

My EMG wasn't bad at all. The needles hurt more because I was tensing up. The zapper was more bothersome, but overall, I've had much worse. I imagine that each patient is different, and it can potentially be a really painful experience. I had no blood (maybe they wiped it off as I couldn't see) but I suppose it all depends the area they are testing, how many needles are needed and where they need to go, etc. I had nobody watching me - I suppose its like the dentist. If you see that needle before they stick you, it looks about 4 feet long, If you don't see it, its not all that bad, providing they numbed you up well at first.

I also took a mild sedative before my EMG, so maybe that helped, who knows.

I am VERY pleased to hear your husband is walking again! That is truly some incredible improvement. To go from not being able to walk, and in agonizing pain, to walking (and I hope with a much lower pain level) is great news. I accept that I will live with pain for the rest of my life, but I just hope they can find a way to reduce it about 50% - that could get me back to work and mild play and sort of make life worth living again.

The needles just plain hurt. I've had two done and will never have another one. It's a barbaric test!

Archived