Chapala.com Webboard

White Chocolate

sasesofe

If you want the very best quality, at a really good price too..... check out Ruthie's shop, half a block from the LCS. She continued my chocolate business and she told me that all her profit goes to local orphanages. The Callebaut is the best (she should have it), forget about all the other brands, .... they don't even come close (certainly not Turin : ..... I once did a test and blindfolded a number of people trying both : the white Turin and the white Callebaut...... not even one person liked the Turin a little bit, it is gluy, it melts easily and there is this almost chemical taste to it). Chocolate originates from Mexico (centuries ago), but unfortunately, they fail big time in producing really high quality. Some Turin chocolate is ok, but not much more than that. Most of the Mexican products hardly contain cocoa, and don't deserve the name of chocolate. I did hear that in Tabasco there is good chocolate.

Rony

This is how we made chocolate in Oaxaca: take the peeled beans and toast them on a comal. then grind them in a metate. take sugar grind it on the metate, break up cinamon and mix it to the caco and sugar. Bring the whole thing to the mill , they grind it into a paste and make luttle cakes wit it. That os the way indigenous chocolate is made I do not thing you can get purer product than that one, it is also the chocolate people from the US and Europe do not care for ...except for my sister who buys tons of it every tome she comes here. Tabasco has chocolate plantations but you can buy the beans at teh market in Chiapas, Oaxaca , Campeche and so on. In Chiapas chocolate is a luxury for the indigenous who mostly drink coffee but in Oaxaca the preferred drinks in indigenous villages is hot chocolate made with water or mixed with atole and foamed which is called tejate in Chiapas it is called pozol.

Roni is white chocolate a cacao product?

This is how we made chocolate in Oaxaca: take the peeled beans and toast them on a comal. then grind them in a metate. take sugar grind it on the metate, break up cinamon and mix it to the caco and sugar. Bring the whole thing to the mill , they grind it into a paste and make luttle cakes wit it. That os the way indigenous chocolate is made I do not thing you can get purer product than that one, it is also the chocolate people from the US and Europe do not care for ...except for my sister who buys tons of it every tome she comes here. Tabasco has chocolate plantations but you can buy the beans at teh market in Chiapas, Oaxaca , Campeche and so on. In Chiapas chocolate is a luxury for the indigenous who mostly drink coffee but in Oaxaca the preferred drinks in indigenous villages is hot chocolate made with water or mixed with atole and foamed which is called tejate in Chiapas it is called pozol.

Roni is white chocolate a cacao product?

Technically, white chocolate is not considered chocolate, because it doesn't contain any cocoa, but it does contain cocoabutter from the cocoa bean,....... better said...... it should contain ....

One of the reasons that Northeners (and actually a lot of Mexicans themselves) don't like the chocolate that you mention, is also because it is not really creamy, but more crumbly. Often they add cinamon to it, which is something that not everybody likes. I would never add a "less liked ingredient" to something that almost everybody likes (good plain chocolate).

Beats me why people still buy chocolate at Superlake and overpay there, while smaller shops, like El Granero and Ruthies have often better quality at lower prices.

Chocolate is like wine, and you do need the right taste buds for it. I don't know anything about wine.

I miss working with chocolate now. You never get tired of it.

Rony

Thanks for the explanation. How do you make cocoa butter? Who came up with the idea ? when was it first made?

I have no idea why they add cinamon but all the various groups I have seen make chocolate down ther seem to add it maybe it has a medecinal quality..who knows..

Archived