Chapala.com Webboard

Left turn on a two lane highway

Rectalgia

Hello all,

I have been almost rear-ended several times stopping to let opposing traffic pass with my left turn signal on while on two lane highways, such as the libramento going north from Ajijic and turning left at Hotel Perico. I have heard horns when they blast by me on my right, blowing their horns and showing me their manicured finger.

Am I required to exit the highway onto the right side berm (if there is one) to let traffic pass?

Hello all,

I have been almost rear-ended several times stopping to let opposing traffic pass with my left turn signal on while on two lane highways, such as the libramento going north from Ajijic and turning left at Hotel Perico. I have heard horns when they blast by me on my right, blowing their horns and showing me their manicured finger.

Am I required to exit the highway onto the right side berm (if there is one) to let traffic pass?

Regardless of what the law "is" everyone is in such a damn hurry on that stretch of the highway you will get "blown", if you try to get over from the center of the road you will be in the ditch!!

You are required to get as far to the right as you can, wait until both lanes are clear then make your left turn. Most people don't do that but it is the law and one, in my opinion, that needs to go away. If it's not possible to get out of the right lane, you are to proceed until you can turn left legally, return in the opposite direction and turn right where you initially intended to turn left. Many accidents have happened because of this law.

Actually, the accidents occur because of violations of this “keep right to turn left“ law.

Remember: When you turn on your left signal, it means, “Pass me, it is safe“. So, you may signal someone into a head on collision, or you may think you have time to turn, only to be broadsided at speed by someone who obeyed your signal and tried to pass you.

NoB thinking can kill you, and/or someone else in this case. So, learn and practice the left turn procedure and you will be a better driver in Mexico.

I have read Spencer's Jalisco Driving Guide and find no reference to left hand turns. Would someone please give me the legal reference? I have got to see for myself the counter-intuitive laws referred to, please.

I am really not worried about being at fault as the driving-while-gringo infraction is going to get me anyway.

In addition to what the other posters told you, it is also necessary to extend your left hand outside of your vehicle indicating that you are turning left rather than suggesting it is safe to pass you by using your turn signal only, which is what you are currently doing. My comment is based upon you not being able to pull off to the right side of the road, waiting for traffic to clear and then turning left from there as others have also told you.

I am really not worried about being at fault as the driving-while-gringo infraction is going to get me anyway.

Try using a little common sense and make your left turns on the highway the way the locals do,or get used to getting honked at and flipped off and maybe rear ended,your choice.

BTW,in all my years driving here I've never gotten one of those "driving while driving-gringo",infractions you referred to.

In addition to what the other posters told you, it is also necessary to extend your left hand outside of your vehicle indicating that you are turning left rather than suggesting it is safe to pass you by using your turn signal only, which is what you are currently doing. My comment is based upon you not being able to pull off to the right side of the road, waiting for traffic to clear and then turning left from there as others have also told you.

This is the only post that I agree 100% with and is the best way for defensive driving.

Driving while gringo infraction.....please tell us more. Do you suggest receiving the folio or offering mordida? Many foreigners would appreciate your advice on handling this infraction.

Good helpful info would be a reference to the driving regulations.

Driving-while-gringo.... I have had a man run into the side of my motorhome while I was driving in a city. He hit me, but being the insured whiteman, I got the ticket and my insurance company paid him off.

I parked my motorhome in a city, but to be parked where my sewage would flow downhill, I parked on the wrong side (like many do) of the street. A DRUNK water company truck driver in his company truck slammed into me. I went out the back door to see what was happening to find a crowd already gathering. The first thing was that the homeboy got out of his truck and disappeared into the gathering flock of cousins, uncles, and grandmothers, being helped to walk. The Transitos were called and guess what? I was at fault for being on the wrong side of the street. The water company owner came and after talking to the Transito, I was told he would fix my damage. No, I didn't get a ticket, but was never paid for my damage.

Many, and I mean many times, I have driven in Altamira, Ver., in the right lane posted 40 kph., driving 30, and have been pulled over for speeding.

I was in Mexico City and was pulled over by a Transito that had an armed soldier stand in front of my car while he "sold me" a permit to drive in the DF. No, I was not driving on the wrong day. I was told to pay or be towed.

Stay in your enclave among the white folks and you may not be pegged for the color of your skin, but try the other coast for expensive driving.

At the risk of personal attack, I'll just note that my observation at least around here in the Gringo Gulch is that almost no Mexican drivers pull over to the right to turn left or use anything other than turn signals (and you're lucky to get those) when turning left.

I observe the same thing in my periodic drives through San Luis Potosi centro and to the border. And during the thousands of miles I've ridden here on my moto.

My personal opinion is that this business of getting on the right to turn left is anachronistic and hazardous to everyone. Maybe it is being widely ignored by Mexican drivers as a result of many of them having driven NOB.

Perhaps we could now discuss what really is an interesting and relevant topic without further reference to troll feeding, "pendejos" and the like?

Wrong! I know the Hoy No Circula laws and I was stopped because I had US plates, no other reason.

That's certainly not uncommon in this country and a strong reason to go Mexican plated if you live here.

If it is any consolation, at least around here, this seems to be less of a problem than it used to be.

I parked my motorhome in a city, but to be parked where my sewage would flow downhill, I parked on the wrong side (like many do) of the street. .

Where your sewage would flow downhill??

How thoughtful of you!

And you stated on another thread that Mexico was full of trash and people urinating in the street???

Unbelievable!!

RV equals gringo so do not be surprised if you attract attention. Mexicans get stopped too. Some of my friends got stopped 4 times between Cordoba and Santa Fe when we did not have the Arco Norte..Every time they had to pay mordida or lose some of the erchandise they were carrying..around and in Mexico city the cops and transitos are looking for money, the best thing to do now is to take Arco Norte and skip the area.

And you stated on another thread that Mexico was full of trash and people urinating in the street???

Unbelievable!!

You need to get out more. Littering is the second most popular sport in Mexico. I have witnessed many a girl squat on the Zocalo to pee. I have seen hundreds of times men doing it between parked cars. When I walk into Mexico and am with someone who has never been, their first comment is about the trash thrown out car windows and dropped by the ever present kids eating bagged snacks. BTW, I notice when seeing people litter that they do it in a manner that suggests they enjoy it.

I have heard horns when they blast by me on my right

If you would have pulled over to the lane or shoulder where they were passing you on the right with your left directional on, there wouldn't have been any question as to what your intentions were.

Sometimes it is better to use common sense than to be right.

Slow moving vehicles on the highway with left turn signal on and no exit to left....probably safe to pass. Left turn signal on at an intersection on a two lane street in a city or even on the highway, probably means they are going to turn, especially if there is heavy oncoming traffic. If you know you are going to turn left on the highway, you can always pull over to the right in wide spot in the road prior to the turn and let the traffic behind you clear out.

Driving is not just about signs and laws...it also requires thinking and making quick judgments.

You need to get out more. Littering is the second most popular sport in Mexico. I have witnessed many a girl squat on the Zocalo to pee. I have seen hundreds of times men doing it between parked cars. When I walk into Mexico and am with someone who has never been, their first comment is about the trash thrown out car windows and dropped by the ever present kids eating bagged snacks. BTW, I notice when seeing people litter that they do it in a manner that suggests they enjoy it.

Rectalgia:

nombre femenino

médico:

Dolor en el ano o en el recto. [Pain in the anus or rectum]

Suits your troll like posts. LOL

Archived