Chapala.com Webboard

Something is eating my hibiscus

Something is chewing the leaves of my hibiscus. It looks like big bites have been taken off the edges of the leaves. I have looked extensively and can't find any evidence of the culprit. There are no droppings and I even checked at night.

I've sprayed with raid but I think it just made it eat more. Anyone have any suggestions as to what it is or what I should do to make it stop. it's getting serious!

Before I spay with anything I would examine the leaves carefully a number times-day and night to look for the culprit. It could be leaf cutting ants, caterpillars, or?

Hey, I wouldn´t think it to be the bear caterpillar, as far as I know they have only been spotted in Primavera Park outside Guadalajara so far, but my guess is that it would be those black woolly caterpillars that come out this time of year in late fall early winter. It is the only caterpillar that I have spotted around my house this time of year. I first would have guessed the leave cutter ants, the ones on my property only seem to come out at night and really strip my hibiscus down, but I think you already ruled that out. But definitely keep checking at night.

I am betting leaf cutter ants. They love hibiscus (and almost everything else).

If the bite is a semi circle it is ants. If there are leaves on the ground below the bush it is ants.

Go out after dark with a flashlight and you can see them. Look for moving pieces of green leaves or flowers. They always travel in a column...like an army.

Archived