Chapala.com Webboard

Legally nationalizing vehicle

garmemorial

Someone just posted that a broker in Nogales said it can be done again ...... but only at the border. Give him a try if really interested. May be expensive

Lic. Oscar Angulo
Email: ancomercial@hotmail.com
AnCo Comercializadora
Mexican Cel: 045 6311 20 10 15
US Cel: (520) 988-1936

Does anyone know about legally nationalizing autos in Sonora or Mexico City

Both programs I understand include plates and in my opinion both fraud. I have communicated with people using both locations. My web site under nationalizing is current to best of my knowledge regarding this matter.

Buen Fin

Sonia

I have been known to be wrong :-) but from my experience Aduana registers a car that has been nationalized on REPUVE and no one else can. This is done when pedimento is issued. Then when one goes to state Rentas office, for registration after a vehicle has been nationalized, they check various sources including REPUVE and Aduana.

In EdoMex (country side around Mexico City an extremely corrupt and somewhat unsafe area) cars are being provided plates through what is called the Mexican Mafia. These are cars some of which are very old, very new, non-NAFTA, NAFTA, some stolen in US... have plates issued along with a Tarjeta de Circulacion. This is totally illegal. I have seen the documents. I have seen the plates on vehicles in SMA. You would never try to then register such a car in say Jalisco or Guanajuato or any other state.

No Rentas office, in any state is to provide registration / plates on a nationalized car without a physical inspection and pedimento and factura from broker. This is a federal requirement as for obvious reasons. When these steps are not being done someone is paying mordida as is with EdoMex. It is the same law when when one buys a used car in one state and wants to register in another requiring a physical inspection, REPUVE check, etc For a nationalized vehicle, the pedimento and factura from broker proving broker paid Aduana then follow the car for the rest of its' life just like a Factura follows a car bought new in Mexico for the rest of its' life. For a nationalized vehicle there is no Mexican bill of sale (Factura) unless someone fraudulently creates one, so how can one legally register a vehicle without a pedimento and factura from broker every time it is sold plus when registered for first time?

In Mazatlan people are getting "registration" and plates in 6 days for foreign registered vehicles. The cost is $1100 US. They are told to renew plates in 3 years. This is totally bogus and fraudulent.

saludos

Sonia

That's not quite correct Sonia. The goverment office in Mexico City still does not require a pedimento to register the V.I.N. in the national system and issue new plates. They want nothing to do with aduana. In Jalisco, you must have the pedimento.

That is not quite correct, Chillin. You know, every time you "think" you find a mistake she has made, she puts you down even further. And, you still haven't realized it. :(

That is not quite correct, Chillin. You know, every time you "think" you find a mistake she has made, she puts you down even further. And, you still haven't realized it. :(

What Chillin is referring to is getting plates in MX City but not importing. The vehicle is not nationalized and cannot be completely insured. It could work OK for people with vehicles that can never be nationalized. Sonia did not put Chillin down that I read.

If you consult the Repuve website you will see that their mandate and enabling legislation is to provide a national registry for Mexican vehicles. Their primary directive is to make sure that the people who say they own these vehicles are who they say they are, and they can prove ownership. This is what the facilitators, most of them licensed lawyers, do. Aduana pedimento would of course be a desirable bit of evidence - but not enough to grind a city of almost 20 million people to a halt. The facilitators are able to translate U.S. or Canadian registration into proff of ownership. The Chilango attitude, quite rightly, is that if import duties were to be collected then do it at the border - don't expect us, at this late date, to shoulder the costs and inconvenience of doing your job, and collecting your pound of flesh. I am sorry Sonia, there are just too many prominent and well informed Mexican friends and neighbors in Jalisco going this "Mexico plated" route - it is not just naive gringos. As far as insurance, Sonia has mentioned three companies which insure UDC plated (the $60 US per year paper plates) vehicles, so why on earth would they not insure vehicles from Mexico City which can be verified on Repuve?

The laws of a country are never static, they are always shifting, even the ones supposedly carved into Moses' tablet are constantly "reinterpreted".

In EdoMex (country side around Mexico City an extremely corrupt and somewhat unsafe area) cars are being provided plates through what is called the Mexican Mafia. These are cars some of which are very old, very new, non-NAFTA, NAFTA, some stolen in US... have plates issued along with a Tarjeta de Circulacion. This is totally illegal. I have seen the documents. I have seen the plates on vehicles in SMA. You would never try to then register such a car in say Jalisco or Guanajuato or any other state.

In Mazatlan people are getting "registration" and plates in 6 days for foreign registered vehicles. The cost is $1100 US. They are told to renew plates in 3 years. This is totally bogus and fraudulent.

saludos

Sonia

Agree 100 percent with what Sonia stated above.

The facilitators are able to translate U.S. or Canadian registration into proff of ownership.

Hence fraud. Go and ask an Aduana office staff if this is legal. better yet, after someone does this with a foreign plated vehicle take your documents to Aduana and explain what you did. I would not take my car when I did as you may be walking home. This is on a par to many with fake documents from the GDL airport.

Someone is being paid off to do this. Take those documents and try and register in another state. Get in an accident and pray you do not get caught, find out you have no insurance and experience a Mexican prison. Try and sell the vehicle and person then tries to register legally. Some are happy to break the law. Oddly, expats complain about corruption while taking part when convenient.

I did not say people are not doing it. I will say for one last time FRAUD. I have confirmed this more than once with people very very knowledgeable regarding nationalizing / registering / Aduana.

Someone thinks Mexico City will grind to a halt because a few cars can not fraudulently get plates. Having been raised there may I suggest that is a silly comment.

saludos

Sonia

PS the title of this thread is:

Legally nationalizing vehicle

If it was outright paying someone off, why do the facilitators require the U.S./Canadian title, photo of V.I.N. plate, proof of identity? Why would this matter to someone being "paid off"? They would simply want the cash, and the name/address of your choosing, written on a piece of paper. I think your experience is with the border, so that makes your view.

Its all about getting things done. I went to Aduana a few years ago, they said I could have any vehicle I wanted and could keep it as long as I did not become an immigrant. That has changed so many times it makes my head spin - now the rumors, of course, have Aduana possibly reverting back to what would have been correct in the first place! The deal we shook hands on. They may not be corrupt, but they are most certainly are incompetent. My own theory is that a great many of these laws are written in Mexico City and they are completely out of touch with our own realities. To them, foreigners are often University types, students and the occasional tourist.

The biggest problem is selling a Mexico plated car. It is worth far less with no Pedimento or Factura. The insurance is valid, but any vehicle over 8 years old is written off as "scrap". Any vehicle under $2,000 is mined for parts and then cubed for recycling. The petroleum driven automobile will be remembered a blight upon this planet. Wars, pollution, tremendous waste of energy. Unfortunately, we have built our cities, our commerce, and even our culture worshipping this fickle demon.

Ahh the same documents Gary wanted along with others who took money and committed fraud. If that is your standard then as I noted take the plates etc to Aduana and ask them is my car legal. End of discussion.

And actually the law re cars has changed little. FM-2 / / Inmigrante / Permanent Resident, no foreign plated car. Why is that so hard to grasp? Trying keeping a foreign plated car in the US or Canada for more than a year. You can not but yet you can have a car here as a Temporary Resident for 4 years. Soinds reasonable to me.

Try living as a foreigner in the US or Canada forever as a tourist with 6 month trips to border. Try again in either country to become a Temporary Resident or Permanent Resident proving so little income. Try working in the US or Canada legally after you simply proved $25,000 in an account or $1500 income. Trying living in either country without the need for a criminal background check. Do you want some cheese with that whine?

Enough nonsense.

adios

Sonia

"And actually the law re cars has changed little. FM-2 / / Inmigrante / Permanent Resident, no foreign plated car. Why is that so hard to grasp? Trying keeping a foreign plated car in the US or Canada for more than a year. You can not but yet you can have a car here as a Temporary Resident for 4 years. Soinds reasonable to me."

Now Sonia - it is hard to grasp something you know that is not true, you could renew your FM3 or FM2 every year and keep your foreign car status. Then they made Permanent Residence compulsory and deemed it the new word for immigrant.

It is the U.S.A. which allows up to one year for successful visa applicants, Canada allows one permanent vehicle.

No one has to become a PR. It is not compulsory. Get over it. The Aduana law as I noted has been consistent. It is extremely lenient vs US or Canada.

You have to nationalize your car in the US in 1 year. It is almost impossible for a car bought in Mexico to be nationalized in the US and same with Canada. Hard to grasp your lack of knowledge.

Nationalizing has had many road blocks and very frustrating and that is caused by corruption and 3 huge auto dealer organizations having politicians in their pocket along with judges. It violates NAFTA as we have told politicians and the judge with our amparo. But that does not mean more corruption is the answer.

I am done here. :017::018:

Sonia

FM 2 without working, if my memory is right, could drive a foreign plated vehicle, but that was a long time ago. FM2 and working, no foreign plated vehicle.

Sonia is right, we do not need to become permanente. We can go back across the border every 4 years and be approved for a temporary and keep our foreign plated vehicle.

If you are never going to sell your vehicle, have an accident or somehow avoid getting plates, maybe the MX City was is the way to go but I feel a little iffy about it.

garmemorial,

SAT/Aduana policy since June 2010 is that foreigners with TIPs must notify Aduana each time they renew their INM permit, or when they exchange their visitor's visa or consulate preauthorization for a Residente Temporal card.

In Nov. 2014 Aduana/SAT also changed the policy, to now allow us to send them our INM renewal notice EARLY.

Aduana/SAT requires
either the copy of the new INM card or the NUT number or INM’s printed resolution authorizing the new card. INM’s printed “resolution” authorizing the new card is the paper they give you when you are approved for fingerprinting – because when we receive this INM “resolution”, it means we are formally approved for the visa.

These things have been published both in the old SAT manuals, and in the most recent 2014 SAT manual.
See Item 2.4 ... Page 16

http://www.sat.gob.mx/informacion_fiscal/normatividad/Documents/manual_importacion_vehiculos.pdf

This means we can now preserve our $$ deposit with Banjercito by notifying Aduana early – before receiving the INM card – using the 2 INM papers we get while processing our new INM visa (renewal) application. If you have a TIP: SAVE that INM paper with the NUT number, and SAVE that INM paper that approves you for fingerprinting.

Even though the new SAT/Aduana rules say we can use just the NUT, savvy travelers note that it’s best to use both INM papers to renew your TIP: If Aduana receives our request to renew out TIP with just the NUT paper, there can be a problem if Aduana checks the INM records before INM finishes approving your application. When we have both INM’s NUT paper and the notification of approval for fingerprinting, we have cleared that final key INM hurdle.

Sonia,

Is it correct to say a person who renews as temporal must register every year with immigration and prove income status and may have a foreign plated car

A permante resident does not have to register or prove income status to immigration but must have a Mexican plated car

My web site answers that. When a person is pre-approved as a TR they come to Mexico and complete process for a 1 year visa. After a year they apply for 3 more years. At no time beyond pre-approval are financials required. Once you have been a TR for 4 years you become a PR with no financials required. Some become pre-approved for a PR at a Mexican consulate with never having been a TR. A pre-approved PR will be given a 30 day TIP and at that point vehicle is to leave Mexico as a PR is not allowed a foreign plated vehicle.

We have owned a vehicle nationalized in US, then Canada, then Mexico. And husband had a Volvo XC90 bought in US and nationalized in Canada. For vehicles sold in both Canada and the US usually the vehicle can be nationalized in the other country and NAFTA vs non-NAFTA is not a factor. A Canadian registered vehicle after 1 year in US must be nationalized in the US or leave the country. The process is not difficult for vehicles meeting emissions and safety standards.

saludos

Sonia

• 3 weeks later...

Sonia,

Is it possible to nationalize a 2010 NAFTA vehicle at this time??

Thx

Our goal is starting in February.

On another car related issue, I just started a new thread stating at least in QRO, Aduana will only issue an 1 year TIP extensions even when your TR visa is renewed for 3 years. I have confirmed this twice now with clients and my assistant who went with them and both times even though a 3 year TR Aduana would extend TIP for just one year.

Thanks for asking.

Sonia

We have a new amparo for one year, allowing us to nationalize and I will update my website as soon as I have more details.

saludos

Sonia

Archived