Chapala.com Webboard

Special occasion dining at Lakeside

Kevin K

My wife and I are enjoying being back at Lakeside after nearly a year and a half away, and with a birthday coming up wanted to get an updated recommendation on a place for a special meal. Hoping for well-prepared steak and a decent wine selection.

Based on recent visits we're unimpressed with the quality of meat at Tango, and while we've had good meals at Bruno's in the past it's been a 45 minute+ wait (with only one other table occupied) for way over-salted meat the past couple of times we've been in....plus of course poor wine choices and you leave reeking of smoke.

Wondering about the new El Gaucho Tequila, maybe Ninette's in their new digs, St. Remy du Lac? Any feedback appreciated.

I second Arileo's Steakhouse for meats though haven't paid much attention to the wine list. For ambience and beautifully prepared and presented food and lovely wine list, it would be hard to beat St. Remy. Do as we do: Call and speak with the owner ahead of time, letting him know what you have in mind for that special meal. Would suggest the same for Ninette.

Second or third for Arileo's steak house. Good meat, friendly wait staff, decent wine list. They are lighting the indoor heaters these days, so it's comfy.

I'd check with St. Remy re the menu if you're looking forward to steak.

I think Bruno's went to a no smoking policy at some point, but it's not exactly "romantic". Food's good, though.

How about #4? I haven't been there is ages, so what do those who have been think? I've heard the steaks are good there.

St. Remy has become our special occasion go to place. The setting and views are fantastic, the service is impeccable and the food excels. Very pricey but as I said, we go there for special occasions.

We'll be having Christmas dinner there and will report our experience here.

Kevin, if you really want a great and memorable event think about having a caterer come in. I would suggest, and greatly recommend, Shai and Caitlin of Dos Fuegos. dosfuegoscateringco@gmail.com. They are on facebook at www.facebook.com/dosfuegoscateringco

Invite a couple of your closest friends, buy a few bottles of outstanding wine and it's no more expensive than local restaurants who I guarantee will not live up to your expectations nor even come close as to what Shai will prepare. I have used them twice and been to another party they have catered. Have nothing but praise.

El S, it's really not about who the good chefs are it's more about limitations. Limited time, limited seating, limited menu. For special occasion dining anyone's objective would be ambience, presentation and the chef's ability to procure above restaurant grade product. So to have a quality chef devote his or her total attention to your dining experience is just something which can not be replicated in a restaurant. Too, think about wine selection and reataurant mark-ups. If you appreciate quality wine then the financial savings in that area will make up for the added cost of personalization. Obviously you're quite correct about what expectations someone might have. I felt Kevin wanted a special meal and so I gave him my opinion of what I would just as someone else may feel McDonalds would be fully acceptable.

Archived