Chapala.com Webboard

Prepaid Cremation

Al Berca

Has anyone done this? What funeral home did you use and contact info, please. What was the price for basic cremation services and what does that include? Were you able to communicate in English or is Spanish needed? Been putting this off for years and think now is the time with the current exchange rate.

Thanks in advance to responders who have first hand knowledge or first hand experiences to share.

San Francisco Funeral Home in Chapala, they speak English , pick up body and return ashes in two days also 5 copies of death certificate in both English and Spanish. Around $600USD. Know others who have had to have a loved ome cremated and they were very satisfied with the services

San Francisco Funeral Home in Chapala, they speak English , pick up body and return ashes in two days also 5 copies of death certificate in both English and Spanish. Around $600USD. Know others who have had to have a loved ome cremated and they were very satisfied with the services

We prepaid for my hubby. It was $9,500 pesos with San Francisco Funeral Home in Chapala within the last six months. Wonderfully caring and efficient service.

BTW, I have heard that you can pay per month (in advance) so it is not such a burden by paying all at once.

Forgot to tell you that, if you are a Canadian, you will be charged for each official translation of the death certificate and for each copy of the original death certificate itself.

It is my understanding that, for Americans, there is no charge for these services from their Consulate.

As for the Death Certificates. I have been told you need the certificate provided by the American Consulate for use up in the USA and the Mexican version provided by the funeral home for business in Mexico. I was told when they pick up the body they need to be told how many copies of each you want and that there was a charge.

Floradude, if you read Ferret's first post you will see that the first five are included. To my knowledge, the U.S. Consulates or Embassy are in the position of accepting death certificates, not issuing them. One of the main reasons is to guarantee that SS payments are stopped.

UH, this is getting complicated...

It was DAJ who made the statement about the five certificates in both Spanish and English.

Which is why I piped up with what you can expect if you're Canadian...which is boodiddleysquat unless you make arrangements and pay for those copies of the death certificate and pay for the official translated copies to English.

and, LOL, hard to believe that the Canadian Consulate would notify CPP or OAS or SIN about anything that important. I did that all, by phone, in the first week. Now, I am about to send the documented proof...via courier...so I can say "yes, you received it. And, not only that, but you don't dot your i's" (for those who remember that great commercial).

Floradude, if you read Ferret's first post you will see that the first five are included. To my knowledge, the U.S. Consulates or Embassy are in the position of accepting death certificates, not issuing them. One of the main reasons is to guarantee that SS payments are stopped.

The U.S. Consulate issues the English translation of the Mexican death certificate. When asked how many you need,

ask for 20 or so. If you need additional copies later, there is a charge. The U.S. Consulate contacts Social

Security to advise of a death but one can also contact the SSA rep at the consulate to confirm the information.

If you need additional Mexican death certificates, contact a local Notario who will copy and issue

with a new hologram. Don't remember the price.

From my experience, there is NO logic which language an institution will require in the U.S. and/or Mexico.

The U.S. Consulate will provide a Consular Report of Death of an American Citizen Abroad based on the local death certificate. Not really a translation of the local death certificate but a specific document that institutions in the U.S. seem to be familiar with.

http://guadalajara.usconsulate.gov/death3.html

I helped a friend get additional copies of the Mexican Death Certificate last year as the funeral home had supplied only one original,. She probably could have requested more initially but only received one. We went to the funeral home and asked if they could help and they referred us to the municipal building in Chapala - where you pay your property taxes.

Go through the main lobby to the office all the way to the back of the interior patio. That is where they record births, deaths, etc. We showed the original and they asked how many copies we wanted. They gave us a receipt and we paid at the cashier in the main lobby. We returned with the paid receipt and waited less than 5 minutes. In and out in about 15 minutes including waiting our turn to ask for the copies. If I remember correctly the cost for the 2 copies was around $150 pesos.

My understanding from the friend I helped is that some of the organizations she dealt with in the U.S. accepted the Consular Notice but at least one also wanted an original Mexican Death Certificate.

Archived