Chapala.com Webboard

stoneleigh

It would really help if people like Artsnob didn't deliberately troll whenever the chance arises.

The issue about dogs was done and dusted on several separate threads. It's illegal. The 'dog people' don't care. It's all about them.

Shall we ignore this and return to talking about Opa, where we have no choice in the matter at present except to not go there?

Yes, some people seem very proud of the fact that they can be scofflaws with impunity. I wonder if they read their posts to their dogs or maybe in their world the dogs get online.

A few restaurants being penalized might get some attention from the others, but one would hope it wouldn't come to that, or be necessary.

What does "dog friendly" really mean? In some cases not much more than the beleaguered owner will not tell you to GTFO if you show up with your dog.

I repeat: if a restaurant owner is kind enough to break the law and tick off other customers so you can have your furry security blanket with you, do not limit the restaurant's customer pool by broadcasting it on a web board. You get enough attention by being in a restaurant with your dog. Settle for that and help out the owner by not waving a red flag every time the restaurant is mentioned.

I'm the one who first mentioned dogs. First, I had no idea allowing dogs was illegal; in fact I have seen lists of restaurants that allow them, and there are many. Second, we walked past one day and noticed Opa for the first time. We had our dog with us and asked if it was alright to bring him in. The owner said yes and then immediately asked if he'd like some water; we were very impressed with his kindness and thoughtfulness. We don't make it a habit of taking our dog to restaurants, but when we occasionally do we make sure he is under or close alongside our table and move him if necessary, just like when we're walking along the narrow sidewalks. I suppose some dog owners are as thoughtless as some of the commenters on this thread, but they're probably not as mean. I would hate to think that a nice young couple would be run out of business just because of one reviewer's innocent remark.

I don't think anything personal was originally intended. But anyone who has been on this board for more than a month probably will have seen the dozens of argumentative threads on the topic. And the fact remains that, restaurant lists or not, it is not legal to entertain dogs in eating establishments. I for one have no dog in this, but I will not sit in an eatery where a dog is allowed, no matter how well behaved, because no matter how well-intentioned the owner, sooner or later, something happens that otherwise would not. And I love dogs.

No one gets run out of business for allowing dogs just as no one's business is ruined because they don't.

A few people on this board are vehemently opposed to dogs being in restaurants. They will not go to a restaurant they know allows dogs even if someone with a dog shows up there twice a year. Most others may think dogs do not belong in restaurants but are able to ignore the people who think it is adorable.

However, everyone should know that it is against the law in Mexico. So, when you bring your dog into a restaurant you are breaking the law and so is the restaurant owner. Some put up signs prohibiting dogs, most just look the other way. A few warmly welcome people with dogs while others pretend to feel great about it because you are a paying customer.

I have no problem with a quiet, well behaved dog lying beside or under the table. I prefer people leave their dogs home (as I do) because it is violating the law, offends some people and creates problems for a restaurant owner.

Klutzy, none of this is directed at you. You sound like a responsible dog owner who came across a restaurant while out with your dog and stopped in. You had no idea what a hornets nest you were stepping into. The dogs-in-restaurants issue is a long-running one on this board with just a handful of (pardon the expression) rabid people on each side.

Rabid, ha! Yes I do notice the "argumentative" nature of the board and rarely post because of it. Anyway I hope people will try Opa! The food is very good and the owners are nice--not sure whether they both own it, or the young American man owns it and the woman cooks.

I'm the one who first mentioned dogs. First, I had no idea allowing dogs was illegal; in fact I have seen lists of restaurants that allow them, and there are many. Second, we walked past one day and noticed Opa for the first time. We had our dog with us and asked if it was alright to bring him in. The owner said yes and then immediately asked if he'd like some water; we were very impressed with his kindness and thoughtfulness. We don't make it a habit of taking our dog to restaurants, but when we occasionally do we make sure he is under or close alongside our table and move him if necessary, just like when we're walking along the narrow sidewalks. I suppose some dog owners are as thoughtless as some of the commenters on this thread, but they're probably not as mean. I would hate to think that a nice young couple would be run out of business just because of one reviewer's innocent remark.

You're new, so you probably missed reading the thread trying to determine whether it's the law or not. The "dog friendly" list you may have seen is a list of restaurants who have decided to ignore the law in order to keep their customers happy.

Welcome to the board. As far as I know, none of the opinionated people on here have rabies. ^_^

el gruñón For a person that touts Perry's, that is a strange statement.

Back to Opa's, I will be sure to bring my dog there

I don't "tout" Perry's. I had it at his old place, once. I did say it was the best around (that's not necessarily a high watermark). And there were certainly no dogs there. So I fail to see your point.

But after 10 posts, I'm pretty sure I already know who you are, so no point is actually needed. And yes, why don't you flout the laws, and the majority opinion, by bringing your dog with you to eat. We won't see you there anyway.

el gruñón I have eaten at many, many, many restaurants all over Mexico where street dogs, land crabs, an/or pigs come and go (or ebb and flow as the congrejos of Yelapa do) through the open doors without molestation by anyone nor do the customers whine, so why should anyone care about it?

Some of the "people" do.

(edited by mod to remove quote from banned obscene poster)

Meantime, I can say I liked Opa's food, although some of the items were perhaps a little pricey. Considering there are very few Greek restaurants in the neighbourhood, it's worth a try.

To those who might have missed it, the now-banned grunon managed to spoof my account name and post as me last night. It was pretty funny, actually: he had me saying I couldn't wait to bring my dog. That post and my response were subsequently removed by moderator-2. All is good.

Archived