Chapala.com Webboard

Need an upholsterer

I need to find an upholsterer who will let me select fabrics, then in a timely fashion, contact me with dates, information and arrange to do the work!

I have been waiting weeks just to have a return call on the availability of the fabrics I choose, then set date and time to begin the work....calls go un-answered!!

Busy or not, just have the courtesy to talk to me!!

Any suggestions? Please PM me or note on board.

You are new & may not realize that expecting a call-back or a return e-mail is usually futile. It is a face-to-face society, so just go and have a personal chat. Keep a friendly demeanor, a smile and handshake at greeting and a gentle inquiry. It just might work. Demanding definitely will not work.

I have had a lot of upholstery done. RVGRINGO is absolutely right. The upholsterers here are so busy that they don't need to call you or email you back. That is not the way they do business here. Go to their place of business, be nice, smile and do NOT be demanding. Also, expect the job to take longer than they say it will. It is the Mexican way.

Part of the adventure of traveling to, and living in, another country is adapting to the culture and adjusting how one expects things to be done. The above posters are absolutely correct. It took me about a year to adjust and at times it was challenging. Now I find I'm happier and calmer than I've ever been. I've learned a lot about how to live life from my adopted country and my Mexican friends. I'm sure the job will get done and you'll be happy with the results, it will just be slower going than you might expect.

We have chairs that are falling apart due to the last upholsterer. We are going to try Tapiceria Pinocho Upholstery, owner F. Arturo Torres 331-768-2613 pinochotorres24@gmail.com We will report on his work though this does not help with a recommendation at this time. However, he is another you can interview if you wish.

Also, if anyone has used Arturo please let us know your experience.

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am not that new here...and own a property and certainly understand how to meet and work with people here.

I have had great work done and appreciate that the Mexican time issue is what it is.........

I do not ever DEMAND...but had made contact with this person with my decorator and then suddenly..no response. When I did catch up with him at his shop...he was helpful and tho I chose another upholsterer....who has been amazing....I would approach him again. Recently I have had positive and pleasant projects completed..

I am not rude nor ignorant about how things work here.........just feel a bit resentful that posters assume this!! I chose to live here and have adapted and adopted!!

There used to be an upholsterer in the La Huerta mall, next to Tapicolor... Did a good job for us on some cushions, delivered on time. Does anybody know if they are still around? Businesses sure have a way of moving around here!

Pete

Got a quote from the new guy in Riberas by the new Pemex station he quoted us $700p to repair each chair, went to Miguel across the way in Riberas and he did the job for 4 chairs a total of $600p this other guy will never stay in business with that much difference in price. Got his card but ripped it up.

Archived