Chapala.com Webboard

Lake Chapala- a definitive study

CHILLIN

Some people may be interested in this 200 page study of Lake Chapala. It was published in 2012. I am amazed at how many government and non-governments are involved in this body of water.

This link is to the website, but you have to scroll to the bottom of the page to see, or download, the .pdf file "Final Factual Record"

http://www.cec.org/Page.asp?PageID=2001&ContentID=2382&SiteNodeID=547&BL_ExpandID=

This CEC site is also where you would file a submission to shame Chapala Municipality into enforcing the Federal environmental laws on noise pollution. The WHO has now raised noise pollution to #2, with air pollution as #1, as hazardous to health and environment. They measure effects as "life years". Here is the abstract.

The health impacts of environmental noise are a growing concern among both the
general public and policy-makers in Europe. This publication was prepared by ex-
perts in working groups convened by the WHO Regional Office for Europe to pro-
vide technical support to policy-makers and their advisers in the quantitative risk as-
sessment of environmental noise, using evidence and data available in Europe. The
chapters contain the summary of synthesized reviews of evidence on the relationship
between environmental noise and specific health effects, including cardiovascular
disease, cognitive impairment, sleep disturbance and tinnitus. A chapter on annoy-
ance is also included. For each outcome, the environmental burden of disease
methodology, based on exposure–response relationship, exposure distribution,
background prevalence of disease and disability weights of the outcome, is applied
to calculate the burden of disease in terms of disability-adjusted life-years (DALYs).
With conservative assumptions applied to the calculation methods, it is estimated
that DALYs lost from environmental noise are 61 000 years for ischaemic heart dis-
ease, 45 000 years for cognitive impairment of children, 903 000 years for sleep
disturbance, 22 000 years for tinnitus and 654 000 years for annoyance in the Eu-
ropean Union Member States and other western European countries. These results
indicate that at least one million healthy life years are lost every year from traffic-
related noise in the western part of Europe. Sleep disturbance and annoyance, most-
ly related to road traffic noise, comprise the main burden of environmental noise.
Owing to a lack of exposure data in south-east Europe and the newly independent
states, it was not possible to estimate the disease burden in the whole of the WHO
European Region. The procedure of estimating burdens related to environmental
noise exposure presented here can be used by international, national and local au-
thorities as long as the assumptions, limitations and uncertainties reported in this
publication are carefully taken into account.

Here is the link - sorry, another long .pdf

http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/136466/e94888.pdf

Some people may be interested in this 200 page study of Lake Chapala. It was published in 2012. I am amazed at how many government and non-governments are involved in this body of water.

This link is to the website, but you have to scroll to the bottom of the page to see, or download, the .pdf file "Final Factual Record"

http://www.cec.org/Page.asp?PageID=2001&ContentID=2382&SiteNodeID=547&BL_ExpandID=

This CEC site is also where you would file a submission to shame Chapala Municipality into enforcing the Federal environmental laws on noise pollution. The WHO has now raised noise pollution to #2, with air pollution as #1, as hazardous to health and environment. They measure effects as "life years". Here is the abstract.

Here is the link - sorry, another long .pdf

http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/136466/e94888.pdf

This publication of the study on the lake was in 2003. Unfortunately, not much has changed. It's also not relevant to today's situations. The Santiago River is so polluted that it is a river of death in areas down in the canyon north of Guadalajara.

In the spirit of, it took a lot of money to build these public documents. The Lake Chapala study is definitely 2012 and is the most in depth I have ever seen, with detailed maps, etc. To download a .pdf file, open with free acrobat reader, click the down pointed arrow on the acrobat menu.

It is interesting to me how pollution and environmental monitoring has become such a big business all over the world. I kind of saw it coming when I knew a small scale fiberglass business that had been in that location since the 1970's. They were near an elementary school and in the 1980's the teachers of that school had turned the young students (under grade 7) into environmental rangers. They wrote empassioned letters to business owners, formulated bold petitions, against anything which they deemed to be pollution. I imagine this generation, and the generations to come, were the same. Now the Generation X, and Generation Y, place a strong emphasis on doing the "right thing" and cleaning the world's environment is an easy choice. As a young CEO of a highly successful startup says, the number 1 thing he looks for in hiring an employee is empathy. Unfortunately, many in the boomer generation go - Pffft!

If you read the CEC report you will see that "they" feel that they are doing enough right now on the Santiago with 12 monitoring stations, spending 1.2 billion pesos on cleanup, which also contemplates 25 investment proposals. Then they get slippery and point out they do not have the political horsepower to make changes anyways.

Cedros - I'll keep with you on this. I think you could utilize the CEC document. It is a 7.2 meg file, which is quite large to try to email as an attachment. If you have an email address which can handle a file that large I can try.

Cedros are you trying to save the webpage or is it possible you do not have Adobe Reader installed? If the first, try to scroll down to the bottom of the page where you will see a lot of links by year, the last one on the list is named Final Factual Record, click on that link and try to either download it, print to adobe or simply save it to your computer. If you do not have adobe reader installed on your computer, It too is free and can be downloaded from adobe.com go to:

https://get.adobe.com/reader/

Chillin, if he still has trouble and you cannot email it (most -not all- handlers will allow this size file as an attachment) you can send large files through Skype, or you can also use Dropbox for this. Both work well. Google it. Hope this helps...

Cedros are you trying to save the webpage or is it possible you do not have Adobe Reader installed? If the first, try to scroll down to the bottom of the page where you will see a lot of links by year, the last one on the list is named Final Factual Record, click on that link and try to either download it, print to adobe or simply save it to your computer. If you do not have adobe reader installed on your computer, It too is free and can be downloaded from adobe.com go to:

https://get.adobe.com/reader/

Chillin, if he still has trouble and you cannot email it (most -not all- handlers will allow this size file as an attachment) you can send large files through Skype, or you can also use Dropbox for this. Both work well. Google it. Hope this helps...

I have Adobe and do exactly as you describe but it won't download or save unless I pay.

Archived