Chapala.com Webboard

Restaurants and dishes I still miss

bdlngton

A lot of restaurants open and close here at Lakeside. Some don't stay open because they don't attract the customers. Others close because the owners move on to other things. Here are a few of the ones that existed here before and some of their dishes I especially miss. I would appreciate any suggestions as to other places that serve similar dishes to fill that taste craving that still lingers.

I have been in "tamal withdrawal" ever since Hole in the Wall closed. I learned to love tamales via their red pork tamales. I've tried a lot of other tamales but still have not found any that measure up. to me the perfect tamal is a great masa + tasty and plentiful filling.

I already miss Magana's rib meat sandwich with smoke sauce and their onion rings.

I also already miss Angelica's Bistro's Angelica salad. I have always thought this was the best salad at Lakeside. I would love to see another restaurant put in on their menu.

I miss the fruit soups Pedro served at Pedro's Gourmet.

I miss the mushroom burger Rick served at 60's in Paradise and his hashbrowns with cream cheese at Early Bird Café.

I'm sure there is more to add to the list if I think about it but those are the first favorite dishes that come to mind.

I miss one of those: The Hole in the Wall, which did have great tamales, empenadas and pozole. However, surprising as it may be, we have found acceptable tamales here in Tucson; at Costco, of all places, for beef tamales, and at a Mexican meat market for corn tamales, etc. Not quite the same, but pretty good.

José's Illusion. I don't even want to start thinking about it, that's how much I miss both the restaurant and the family. His crusted salmon served on mashed potatoes...his angel wings baclava...oy.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived