Chapala.com Webboard

Plant idetification

Islander

I should know what it is but don't. When I went shopping today I took my pruners along but I didn't find any close to the road. Tomorrow I'll find a branch. I don't think it is any of those mentioned so far.

I was thinking that the plant was the one growing on the north side of the carretera west of Ajijic. I got a cutting this morning of it. The leaves look identical but the flowers are different. The ones near the carretera have much smaller petals.

Where did you see that plant?

Yours looks quite similar to Barkleyanthus salicifolius which is listed as occurring here.

Cedros, West of Ajijic is where these photos were taken . This specific one on the road to Villa Lucerna.

I have seen it in shrub and the tree form in few ditches and also on exposed eroded sites last year in Chulavista Norte

Leaf close up

2hgr2gj.jpg

This is how the flowers in bud look:

24fzk85.jpg

I think you might be right: ......Jarilla(local name?) (Senecio salignus)??? Otherwise Barkleyanthus ? It certainly looks similar if not the same.

The ones by Villa Lucerna are identical to the ones near me. I see now. Each flower in the clump has 4 larger petals which fall off first leaving the stamens and sepals only-making the flower look much smaller. The ones where I live (San Juan Cosala) are a bit farther ahead-without the petals.

So it must be Barkleyanthus (Senecio) genus. Not sure what species. One common English name is ragwort.

If you look at the 11th picture here http://jehuite.blogspot.mx/2008/04/teocintle-y-dunas.html

Common Spanish name Asomiate or Jarilla

Although the flowers are very similar I do not believe that it is correct. All the leaves are too narrow . Look at my picture of the leaves ...they are not as narrow.

Looks like I am not alone looking to ID this common tree here.

Look at this article...that is the plant.... :

http://www.growingontheedge.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3645&view=print

Unfortunately none of the suggestions there are correct.

Still searching.

I noticed the same. If you look at pictures of Senecio salignus here; https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=Senecio+salignus&newwindow=1&site=webhp&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwivxcPM9bbJAhUEdT4KHUolCXcQ7AkIQw&biw=1024&bih=644

You will see ones with wider leaves. That is why I wondered if the genus was right but not the species or maybe it is a very variable species.

Thank you all for this wonderful thread. It's informative, interesting, pictorial, and snark-free. You guys are the best. And I'll be waiting to see if you identify this tree. Bravo!

Archived