Chapala.com Webboard

$50 peso notes

purplebeads

Just a warning about $50p notes. There are many fake ones flowing around. Probably because the makers of fake money think places will only look at big peso notes.

My husband had 4 of them. I was stopped at el Torito because I was paying with a fake one.

The best way to know is to try to scratch the numbers . If they come off them with a white background,it is fake Since you most likely will not know where it came from, if you get one check it right away.

You bills are likely actually real, not false. These article explain things (you'll need Spanish):

http://diarioelmartinense.com.mx/estado/martinez-de-la-torre/16845-billetes-de-50-pesos-con-problema-de-tinta-defectuosa.html

http://www.posta.com.mx/twitter/billetes-de-50-pesos-falsos-o-verdaderos

I was also stopped at El Torito by the young woman at the register who claimed I had a fake bill. The method that they are employing there to determine whether bills are fake is not legit. Scratching off the numbers with a coin is not the way to determine if a bill is fake or not -- there are actual official methods, such as the iridescent butterfly, as explained in the articles (El Banco de México calls the scratch method "completely erroneous").

In any case, go spend those bills elsewhere without problem.

Twenties and fifties are partially plastic and feel different than the larger bills. The Mexican government puts out a little booklet that you can get at the bank at times and tells everything you wanted to know about Mexican money. Cool little booklet if you can lay your hands on it.

The most likely place you will get a bogus $500 is from an ATM. Try and tell that to the machine or even go inside to the bank and show them. "How do I know that came from our ATM?"

I have had two fake 500 peso notes recently at different times. Guess we all need to understand the difference between real and bogus bills and stand at the register and check each one before we accept our change and leave or before we leave home to shop. Sounds like fun.

Unless you are paying with a 1000 peso bill you will not receive any 500 peso bills in change. They are coming from an ATM or your banking institution.

Archived