Chapala.com Webboard

Foreign-plated car Police Incident Guad

Natasha

It clearly states on Lewis and Lewis insurance policies that vehicle must have current and valid registration in home state or province for said insurance to be valid. So may not be necessary as to aduana rules, but I'd sure not want to drive without insurance here.

That's very strange, as we were worried about this when our California registration expired and we called Lewis and Lewis, who told us directly that they didn't care about foreign registration status.

But all this conflicting advice was the reason we decided to drive our foreign plated car north, give it to our son, and get a Mexican plated car.

Driver's License Policy? What is that?

Read this: https://www.mexpro.com/mexico/drivers-license/?utm_source=prodicons&utm_medium=www&utm_campaign=prodiconuse

Almost always their coverage is secondary to any coverage that might be available from the vehicle owner and therefore the cost is usually low. If the vehicle is actually yours, sorry, no coverage.

WRONG... I use a driver's license policy and only drive my car and no matter what you may think, I am covered.

Here is a question to the topic. I am permanente status for a year. Have a foreign plated car with 2009 plate. Gave up on waiting for nationization, am driving the car out of Mexico in January and will pass thru Guad. Proactively In the fall, I brought down and have a new plate and registration for the vehicle. The TIP and paperwork from when we brought the vehicle here 6 years ago refers to the old outdated plate. Now based on comments in this thread, The question is, should I drive out with the old plate or the new plate on the vehicle? Also either way, I will be driving without a 5 day Returno permit as I cannot wait for it. On one hand the new plate may reduce the chances of getting pulled over, on the other hand would there be a chance the police would notice the TIP and plate don't match. Lastly would there be anyone at the border who would bother to check and match licence plate and TIP?

We changed our plates from FL to TX to SD all on the oribinal Importada Temporal and there is no problem with that, as the TIP refers to your passport and VIN, rather than to actual registration. I doubt that has changed much.

Archived