Chapala.com Webboard

Foreign-plated car Police Incident Guad

Natasha

Tuesday Nov 24 went to Guad with friend who drives S. Dak. plated car. On way back, stopped by Vialidad just as turning onto Dr. R. Michel . Reason given -- plates had 2005 validation stickers and he insisted should have been 2015. (Once car stopped and he was at side, also insisted TIP sticker was "outdated" -- car should have gone to border and come in under newer TIP at some recent time.)

Insisted was going to impound car (we would have to find taxi -- on R. Michel??) to get to Lakeside, then she would have to return to Guad next day with lawyer to go to recaudadora to pay fines (supposedly for no current tags and other things, plus impound costs).

I (speak Spanish) would have pushed the issue about foreign plates don't have to have current tags, except she is like many -- she's been "permanente" for over a year, but has not dealt with car issue -- and I certainly did not want him asking to see her FM status! Then for sure the s--- would have hit the fan.

Two cells phone calls to her lawyer later (who spoke to cop inSpanish and to her in English), we finally resolved that if we "invited" him for comida he would only giver her a ticket which the lawyer could deal with in Chapala. Cash ( oops -- price of his comida) changed hands, "mysteriously" no ticket appeared, and we were able to leave after 20 minutes of stress and worry.

(Since I'm a Mexican citizen and have never owned a foreign-plated car here, not enough knowledge on topic to argue. Otherwise, no mordida would have happened, nor would car have been impounded!)

HE NEVER ASKED TO SEE IMMIGRATION STATUS (phew) -- only Driver's License. Was this a shakedown? Probably -- but with the immmigration status vs. car status too iffy, did not want to make huge waves.

On other hand, MIGHT be they are cracking down on foreign plates with old licanse tags. SO -- if you go to Guad in a foreign plated car, beware!

SPENCER -- do you have an opinion on the license tags issue? Or anyone else who really knows what theyr'e talking about? (Sonia, etc.)

Moderator -- if this should be in Immigration, please move.

The car must have current registration in its home state.

The TIP is no longer valid, since the owner has changed INM status and not renewed it. Moot point anyway.

The Insurance on the car requires that it be legally in Mexico. It is not, so the insurance is probably no good.

The owner, a Residente Permanente, cannot drive a foreign plated car; and knows it. The car may be subject to confiscation, not just impoundment.

I would not ride with her again.......The cop was correct on all points.

You have to pay attention to things around you. Lewis and Lewis is offering liability only insurance, through Qualitas, for all foreign plated cars in Mexico. This is clearly stated in their advertising, on their website and in the policy. They cannot be driven by a Mexican citizen and must have current foreign registration, but some jurisdictions only issue tags for insurance and smog. My middle class Mexican neighbor has Mexico D.F. plates on his car, his wife's car and his daughter's car. One my Mexican doctors is putting Mexico plates on his vintage Mercedes wagon. Spencer, on TOB, is advertising his own vehicle, and his wife's vehicle as "Mexican plated but not nationalized". Once you have Mexican plates you have to cancel your Lewis and Lewis insurance and get Mexican insurance. No problem there, except it will be liability only. You renew your recaudadora in Mexico City every year - online. You should also have a Jalisco smog sticker. I see a lot of Mexico plates Lakeside, mostly commercial type trucks which probably do not go into Guadalajara - a local gaz truck and the van from a popular local restaurant for example. The Mexican doctor got pulled over once with Canadian plates, he driving a flash Mercedes convertible and he looks fairly young. He has Jalisco plates on his 2016 Mustang GT Fastback. Mexico plated cars are sometimes tagged as potentially stolen (flash car, young, non-wealthy looking driver), but a senior in an older vehicle is unlikely to be a target - except for mordida, that is still an ongoing problem all over Mexico, especially this time of year, but seems to be gone Lakeside. Look and listen - things are changing all the time.

I live in Guadalajara and have been pulled over and questioned about expired tags and expired TIPs a number of times,I showed them a copy of Articulo 106 from the Ley Aduadnera, that took care of things,now that I'm Permanente that won't work,I have to buy a Mexican plated car.

She was wrong to drive as permanente. Traffic cop was wrong and many are ignorant and are fishing for bribes. Foreign plated cars do not need current tags, my car was impounded a few years ago with expired tags and there was no problem. Federal import permit trumps all else. Law says you only need to show your immigration document and nothing else from aduana for permit extensions. They seem to ignore that part.

Spencer, not particularly addressing this specific incident, could you comment on the following:

+ Foreign plated car doesn't need current registration (yours was impounded (by whom?) but you must have gotten it back (soon?) without and fee?

+ Insurance on car invalid if car's TIP is invalid (either really expired or owner is Permanente)?

+ Federal import permit trumps all else (specifically meaning?)

Thanks!

I parked on a side street at immigration and they towed the whole street of cars as it was marked yellow. I got car back after driving to transito and paying the 150 pesos fine and 900 towing fees.

Not many insurance companies check for valid TIP but they probably should and will as it is a great way for them to get out of paying.

Law mentions federal import permits or cars complaint with that and usually mention nothing about registration in country of origina except maybe Vallarta traffic law does.

She was wrong to drive as permanente. Traffic cop was wrong and many are ignorant and are fishing for bribes. Foreign plated cars do not need current tags, my car was impounded a few years ago with expired tags and there was no problem. Federal import permit trumps all else. Law says you only need to show your immigration document and nothing else from aduana for permit extensions. They seem to ignore that part.

Thanks to all, especially to Spencer: question of current tags or not. I thought the same, but was afraid to pursue in case he asked for immigration status and then we would have been in more serious jam.

Interesting point about the insurance, and I will raise that with her. Her car. Her life. Her decision........ not for me to say why nothing done re: car yet. Maybe now?

I parked on a side street at immigration and they towed the whole street of cars as it was marked yellow. I got car back after driving to transito and paying the 150 pesos fine and 900 towing fees.

Not many insurance companies check for valid TIP but they probably should and will as it is a great way for them to get out of paying.

Law mentions federal import permits or cars complaint with that and usually mention nothing about registration in country of origina except maybe Vallarta traffic law does.

We have a Jalisco plated vehicle so I have no actual knowledge of the following:

We know several Canadians who live in our building, are Permanente and continue driving their Canadian plated cars. When I inquired as to whether they ever have problems they vaguely suggest there is a special "program" here in Vallarta which costs $500 pesos per year to have no problems.......

The issue of possibly no insurance for their "chocolates" in the event of a serious claim would be enough reason for me to avoid this but not for me to judge.

I am absolutely astonished that there are still people who think that everyone else but them should pay for the cost of building and maintaining the roads which they use. What is wrong with you? I pay full annual taxes in Mexico where I drive for 3 months out of a year. Same thing in Canada where I drive for 9 months of the year. If you want the benefit, share in the cost otherwise stay off the roads. As for the righteous tone of the comments about the police office, his behaviour was wrong. However, illegal residents are equally so.

Legal resident. Illegal vehicle. Which is a problem for many of us when we evolve into Permanente and have major issues about what to do with a foreign plated vehicle that can neither be nationalized nor able to make it to the border. Drove mine illegally for over a year before I found an acceptable solution. The taxes paid for roads in Mexico are a pittance and certainly not worth either bragging about paying nor chastising someone who is temporarily not doing so. I am sure that the owner of that vehicle knows, as I did, that every time she drives her illegal vehicle it is subject to confiscation, fines or worse.

I hope everyone who keeps telling folks their foreign plated vehicle is required to have current and valid registration in their home state or province reads this and stops giving incorrect advice.

It clearly states on Lewis and Lewis insurance policies that vehicle must have current and valid registration in home state or province for said insurance to be valid. So may not be necessary as to aduana rules, but I'd sure not want to drive without insurance here.

I have never had a Lewis and Lewis policy. My policy, as well as the law here, contain nothing regarding that issue.

Possibly, American insurance companies or American insurance agents require that and Mexican companies do not. I have never been insured by a company or an agency located in another country, nor would I choose to, so I am just guessing, but I did drive that vehicle for over ten years with same registration as it had when it entered Mexico without question from anyone.

It clearly states on Lewis and Lewis insurance policies that vehicle must have current and valid registration in home state or province for said insurance to be valid. So may not be necessary as to aduana rules, but I'd sure not want to drive without insurance here.

Who says this?

Please check out their page http://www.mexicanautoinsurance.com/faq.html#4

Q. Does my US / Canadian vehicle registration need to be current?

A. It is recommended that you have current US / Canadian registration of your vehicle, to avoid any and all problems that may arise with the Mexican authorities. However, your Lewis and Lewis Mexican Tourist Auto Insurance policy through Qualitas will be valid with or without current registration.

Many of our clients have found that when registering the vehicle in South Dakota, Vehicle registration will have to be brought current prior to settlement of a total loss claim.

Who says this?

Please check out their page http://www.mexicanautoinsurance.com/faq.html#4

Q. Does my US / Canadian vehicle registration need to be current?

A. It is recommended that you have current US / Canadian registration of your vehicle, to avoid any and all problems that may arise with the Mexican authorities. However, your Lewis and Lewis Mexican Tourist Auto Insurance policy through Qualitas will be valid with or without current registration.

Many of our clients have found that when registering the vehicle in South Dakota, Vehicle registration will have to be brought current prior to settlement of a total loss claim.

I have had a Mex.plated car for 3 years now, but when I had my Canadian vehicle insured through Lewis and Lewis, I definitely read in their policy that vehicle needed to have valid and current registration. Perhaps they have changed this since then.

• 3 weeks later...

Al Berca Question on #14 I am a permanent resident, with a US vehicle that I can't drive to the border and on top of that the US plates were stolen, which I reported. I just want to get rid of it! What was your solution? I have been paying storage and even that is illegal! It is now on the street in centro. It's a shame it can't be used actually, or at least stripped and the body with the VIN number in 4 places scrapped. But I can't sell it to someone who "promises" to do that. I was thinking of impounding it myself, but apparently they would charge me for storage.(?) So what is the "solution"??

Letsgo, is this not a legal problem not better off being dealt with by an attorney experienced with this kind of problem? Surely the feedback from this board would not be advantageous however well intentioned. I am certain a good attorney could obtain a travel letter which, with a copy of the theft report stamped by ministerio publico would suffice. All cheaper than sticking on a transport hauler or having a broker involved no? Assuming of course you have the US registration. Not an insurmountable problem just picking the least expensive option.

I will post this as an accused troll:

A liability only driver's licence policy sold by GNP Seguros by some US agencies says:

• Drive any foreign plated in Mexico with no reference to current registration
  • Doesn't pay if alcohol, drugs, or racing was involved
  • You must have a valid US license and it is on your policy
  • You are not covered driving a Mexican plated car

I get mine at mexpro.com. $500,000 USD liability for $131 a year.

If you don't own a car some companies will "insure your license". Which means their policy will cover you for any vehicle you are legally allowed to drive. Almost always their coverage is secondary to any coverage that might be available from the vehicle owner and therefore the cost is usually low. If the vehicle is actually yours, sorry, no coverage.

Archived