Chapala.com Webboard

4G Satellite Internet

CHILLIN

Pete has mentioned high speed internet (10g download) from 4G networks. It would be easy to get your 4G or 3G capable smartphone to act as a modem to your home computer network. This is expensive in Mexico. Now Shaw in Canada has teamed up with a company called Xplorenet to offer a high resolution streaming video and internet access bundle. You have to have an area code with no access to Shaw internet, probably somewhere very rural. Xplorenet has towers all over Canada and does not mention anything about "roaming" etc. There is government money into this system, so they have to be careful about keeping everything in Canada. I don't want to get into whether it is legal, or ethical, to pay for a service in Canada, but use it in Mexico, I just want to know if this is technically possible. Can I login to a local 4g access point for access to my Canadian 4G account?

As I understand it, NO, not here in Mexico. 4G is simply the method and therefore speed of your connection to the internet using your Smart phone as an access point to the local service provider. Once on the internet using 4G where I have gotten speeds over 20 megs/sec or for that matter dialup, then I can communicate via the internet to an email address associated with your 4G account in Canada, but not via your Canadian 4G account, unless you are in Canada where you can only connect via your Canadian account.

Oh and if you have the TELCEL Pro Plan you can for $1,999 pesos per month "15000 MB" where B apparently means Byte They have all kinds of plans. one gets "9000 MB" for $999 pesos.

Sadly these appear to be special data prices, not the normal prices. Apparently you get perhaps a 1/3 of the data for the prices shown above during much of the year

Archived