Chapala.com Webboard

Water tests find 3 of 4 garrafons are unsafe

the problem is only with the cheap bottles, big brands like the ones released by Cocacola or Bonafont does not have probl. In the rest of the Country there are lots of small purification places that sell the bottle like 9 or 10 peso.....or course, what can we expect form water sold this cheap.....

I have alway felt what Doberwoman just said and have only used the big name brands and avoided the little refillers. That is until this past month when suddenly a garrafon of water became too heavy to move about, Decided to add a reverse osmosis system to the dual filtreation and UV light. Result was good potable water and saved my back to boot!

A year ago when agua ciel/cocacola raised their price to 28 pesos per garrafon I started buying our water at a small but very hygienic distributor around the corner from us for ten pesos per garrafon,no problems so far.and we go through 4 a week.

A year ago when agua ciel/cocacola raised their price to 28 pesos per garrafon I started buying our water at a small but very hygienic distributor around the corner from us for ten pesos per garrafon,no problems so far.and we go through 4 a week.

Just curious, how do you know how safe it is? Is there a place to have it tested?

Just curious, how do you know how safe it is? Is there a place to have it tested?

Well,after a year of drinking it with no ill effects I'm pretty sure it's safe,we also eat street tacos,I'm sure that there are places to get them tested but I don't think it's necessary.

The riskiest part is crossing the street with the garrafones..

Well,after a year of drinking it with no ill effects I'm pretty sure it's safe,we also eat street tacos,I'm sure that there are places to get them tested but I don't think it's necessary.

The riskiest part is crossing the street with the garrafones..

Kinda like alcohol and tobacco, usually 30 years or more before you realize what they have done to you. But, many of us don't have 30 years, so why worry about it, right? :D

I hope BMH contributes, I know in the past she has told us that in their household they add chlorine or silver to their garrafons as soon as they open them. That would certainly kill any bugs, I don't remember the dose. I remember the problem seems to be that some garrafons sit in the sun and begin to develop algae and who knows what other natural growths. Spenser has told us, that in his pre-married, pre - Daddy days, he used to have a garrafon full of tequila!

My experiences are that Mexicans rarely complain about anything to the source of the problem, and when they do, it is mostly dismissed. Now, extranjeros, that is another story.

Ain't that the truth!

Well said J Bowie.

Except for government, politicians, and political/economic issues, and then you can get protestors on a dime.

Seldom see extranjeros around government buildings in Guadalajara centro.

Good luck getting around Guadalajara centro these days with all the construction going on.

What I was referring to was Bowie's comment about how many individual Mexicans rarely complain because the complaints are usually dismissed and ignored.

Archived