Chapala.com Webboard

Pre-formed fiberglass vs custom pool?

holdrja

Has anyone built a pool using those pre-formed fiberglass pools, vs a custom in-ground pool? If so, could you comment on cost to build, how it looks, any maintenance issues? No difference between swimming in either type, right?

I wonder about this issue every time I see those big pre-formed units by the side of the highway (can't remember where I see them, though...)

One issue I can warn you about is that you have to pay attention to the type of plastic resin they are offering. The lowest cost one, polyester, is actually not waterproof and will absorb water over time. The next one up, vinylester, is waterproof. The most waterproof is epoxy but it also the most expensive and has to be protected from UV rays. Most of the concrete pools here are not really waterproof. To get waterproof you have to use special sand and chemical additives. So when you factor everything, including maintenance, it is probably a good investment in a vinylester resin pool. The next question would how are they going to deliver it and put it in place?

Almost forgot, there is vacuum formed acrylic as well, which is waterproof, but limited in size and depth to as big as a very large hot tub/spa.

Archived