Chapala.com Webboard

Are "Dog Friendly" restaurants also "legally" so?

gringal

If this thread has done nothing more, it has at least given fair warning to those who bring their dogs into restaurants how the majority of people feel about that. They may care less but I suspect a few will not want the evil eye cast their way and either get carryout or leave Fido at home. If you are in fact Fido's mascota I feel sorry for you.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ideally, they will get rid of the "dog friendly" list altogether, put up a "people friendly" list instead of restaurants who are complying with the law. Maybe they could start with El Serape, Tango and probably Nueva Posada. Others might get the clue and follow by adding to the list. As it is, it looks like nearly every decent restaurant in town has folded under pressure and put themselves on the other list in order to attract customers.

Very nice of you to perform that public service, Ginger.

So there you go. No domestic animals, nor pets, are allowed where food is being prepared. Unless any state or municipal ordinances are more strict than that, it sounds to me like pets cannot be in the kitchen, but can - at the restaurant owner's discretion - be allowed in the garden area, or on the patio, or even in the dining room, so long as food preparation doesn't happen in that location. The only gray area I see is maybe a buffet line/salad bar type situation. And even that's only a maybe.

So the floodgates for another endless debate have been flung open again. Yay. :ph34r:

Much like the bible is open to interpretation, so is this dog law...shrugs.

Both can be, and have been misrepresented to be less than they are. People who have dogs will continue to enjoy the garden areas and patio portions that are outside the actual building/structure.

Thank you for your post Travis. Objectivity is always appreciated.

And yes, the floodgates will never end... tis the nature of the board.

I will never ask another friend, why on earth they are not on the Chapala.com web board. Over a hundred.. and... I finally get it. jajaja.

See ya on the patio guys ... and if you look close enough... sometimes you might see a sentient being sleeping at my feet.

Travis's post was made moot by the actual citation of the law, specifically 5.8.6 which states very clearly that pets are not allowed where food is served. Please follow the link in Post #80 and read and translate the law for yourself to clear up any remaining confusion about this.

The wording in both Spanish and English is very straightforward and easy to understand. "Interpreting" it to fit your personal preference to bring your pet into a restaurant does not change the actual law, it just means that you and the restaurant owner are choosing to ignore it.

What about restaurant owners who have their dogs and cats in the restaurant, El serape cats, Roberto and Yves Dogs ETC.

Having your dog or cat in a restaurant is not a necessity of life or commerce. The owners will need to deal with it as they do in the rest of Mexico. You can help them by obeying the law in your own case.

What about restaurant owners who have their dogs and cats in the restaurant, El serape cats, Roberto and Yves Dogs ETC.

It's against the law. Ask yourself if the animals are also running in the food preparation areas and what else restaurants that ignore restaurant health and sanitation laws relating to pets might be ignoring. And then decide for yourself if you want to eat some place that you don't know what laws and restaurant sanitation practices they are following versus those they are ignoring.

Restaurants are a major source of food borne illnesses even in places where inspections are very rigorous. You have to decide for yourself if you want to risk your health to a place that has a cavalier attitude towards basic restaurant health regulations.

It's against the law. Ask yourself if the animals are also running in the food preparation areas and what else restaurants that ignore restaurant health and sanitation laws relating to pets might be ignoring. And then decide for yourself if you want to eat some place that you don't know what laws and restaurant sanitation practices they are following versus those they are ignoring.

Restaurants are a major source of food borne illnesses even in places where inspections are very rigorous. You have to decide for yourself if you want to risk your health to a place that has a cavalier attitude towards basic restaurant health regulations.

All very true, but in the current "climate", it's all about priorities. One can check health articles that strongly advise people to not sleep with their dogs and cats, but they do it anyway; health issues be damned. I'm also unsure as to whether the local restaurants are all even aware of the law and are operating illegally through ignorance. El Serape is a case in point, with the cat......but not letting the dogs in. In real life, cats mess around in all sorts of things and then daintily lick their paws. I've never seen any critter using soap, have you?

Yet, we have signs all over the place insisting that the employees wash their hands. If you really think about it, there's a reason for that sanitation law, but who wants to think? :huh:

Archived