Chapala.com Webboard

Are "Dog Friendly" restaurants also "legally" so?

gringal

The burros are usually some distance from the dining areas. His dog is more of a problem.

The dog draped directly in front of the entrance to the kitchen is almost a cartoon of what shouldn't be happening. The waiters have to step over it with loaded trays to get to the dining areas. Those dining outside probably don't see that, but inside diners can't avoid observing this. I appreciate the fact that he's very kind and rescued this poor dog, but that doesn't mean it is okay in the kitchen doorway. The burros are nowhere near the food preparation or eating areas.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday the dog was outside where we were eating in front of the pool, he came over and almost stuck his nose in my food.

I won't be going back,

Looks like the old dog is learning new tricks. Too bad this is happening and driving some people away. Maybe the restaurant owner will see this.

It took an hour to get the Federal law which States & Municipios have to follow. The State & Municipal regulations will follow later when Spencer emails them to me.

Norma Oficial Mexicana Nom-251-SSA1-2009, Practicas de Higiene Para El Proceso de Alimentos, Bebidas O Suplementos Alimenticios.

5.10.2 No se debe permitir la presencia de animales domésticos, ni mascotas dentro de las areas de produccion o elaboracion de los productos.

In other words, per Spencer, the Federal law states animals can't be where food is prepared. More to come.

Very nice of you to perform that public service, Ginger.

5.10.2 No se debe permitir la presencia de animales domésticos, ni mascotas dentro de las areas de produccion o elaboracion de los productos.

So there you go. No domestic animals, nor pets, are allowed where food is being prepared. Unless any state or municipal ordinances are more strict than that, it sounds to me like pets cannot be in the kitchen, but can - at the restaurant owner's discretion - be allowed in the garden area, or on the patio, or even in the dining room, so long as food preparation doesn't happen in that location. The only gray area I see is maybe a buffet line/salad bar type situation. And even that's only a maybe.

So the floodgates for another endless debate have been flung open again. Yay. :ph34r:

Very nice of you to perform that public service, Ginger.

So there you go. No domestic animals, nor pets, are allowed where food is being prepared. Unless any state or municipal ordinances are more strict than that, it sounds to me like pets cannot be in the kitchen, but can - at the restaurant owner's discretion - be allowed in the garden area, or on the patio, or even in the dining room, so long as food preparation doesn't happen in that location. The only gray area I see is maybe a buffet line/salad bar type situation. And even that's only a maybe.

So the floodgates for another endless debate have been flung open again. Yay. :ph34r:

That's what my sometimes less than adequate memory told me. As for the dog...try slapping your napkin into your hand in his direction. I'm sure his motto is: "Nothing ventured...nothing gained", :D

If I have to run off a dog while trying to eat a meal I'm paying for, I won't be going back to the place where this is necessary.

Anyone who is so obsessed with their pet they can't leave it at home for a couple hours while they go out to eat has a bigger problem than finding a "dog friendly" restaurant IMHO.

Thanks to those who are getting the details on the laws covering this situation. Your efforts are much appreciated.

For us, we always ask if dogs are allowed in the restaurant before we take a seat (as if we may have some in the car outside). If the reply is "yes they are", then we simply tell the person that we prefer to eat somewhere dogs are not allowed, and look for another place to eat. We want to enjoy our experience dining out, and we are spending our own money. We have dogs, but we do not have attachment problems, like some.

I am not at all against bringing dogs to restaurants and sitting at an outdoor patio as long as the dogs are well behaved. Just one of the many reasons we moved here was so we could take our dogs for a walk and stop for a drink or meal with them. Ours are so use to being out that they mostly just lay under the table. What I do object to is owners who cannot control their big dogs. As in the woman who had no control over her Saint Bernard who actually knocked over our entire table at Maria Isabella last year. She never said she was sorry and just walked away. The waiter tried to charge us for broken dishes...we sent him after her.

If I have to run off a dog while trying to eat a meal I'm paying for, I won't be going back to the place where this is necessary.

Anyone who is so obsessed with their pet they can't leave it at home for a couple hours while they go out to eat has a bigger problem than finding a "dog friendly" restaurant IMHO.

Thanks to those who are getting the details on the laws covering this situation. Your efforts are much appreciated.

I'm not qualified to deal with the people's "attachment" problems, but it doesn't seem fair that they are other people's annoyances as well.

I have yet to hear a logical reason why a person needs to bring an animal into a restaurant, since, as this and many other threads have shown, others don't want them there. You might as well argue that you need to go to lunch naked.

The matter of wanting to bring dogs into a restaurant as part of a dog walking routine doesn't really fly, since most dog walking isn't happening around lunch or dinner time, nor does it need to coincide with mealtime. It's a choice.

A poster on another board who I mentioned before has been trying to get a copy of the law in English, and spent some time seeking it, only to find the very strict law in all its details.......and discovered the heading .......from PERU. He's still trying. So am I.

I have left restaurants because of dogs. I settle up with the waiter and/or owner (if owner is there) AND telling them why I am leaving, not making a scene, I don't need any confrontations with Fido's inconsiderate owner.

I left once when a small dog yapped non-stop from the time its owners were seated until I left (15 minutes at least, as I gulped down my already ordered food). They never so much as tried to shush their annoying dog. Another time was when the dog owner encouraged its large dog to wander around on its own as it nosed everyone's plate, or tried to. I wasn't the only unhappy customer. Another time I left when was a dog lifted its leg and urinated on a table leg while the waiter was taking the owners' orders...they all acted like it didn't happen. I also bolted before ordering when I noticed a table where THREE dogs were sitting ON the chairs.

I don't blame the restaurants; times have been lean here the past 3 or 4 years, not as many expats filling the shoes of the older generation. A few of these places that have food I really like, I now order it to go, but they are losing business because if I was seated and ate there, I'd order a glass of wine or two, maybe be tempted by a dessert, too.

Rather like the now departed Tom's bar that just couldn't grasp the concept that the majority don't want to be soaked in tobacco smoke when dining, some of these places just can't seem to grasp that diners go to restaurants to eat, not visit a kennel.

We can discuss this until the cows come home (not from the restaurants :) ) but I'm still waiting to see what the law specifically says about this. If they are permitted in dining areas, we will avoid those restaurants that allow it as we do now. If it is illegal, we will point that out to the owners or staff in a friendly manner and see what the response is.

If they are willing to ignore one health-based law, my concern would be what others they are ignoring.

Since the majority of diners are non smokers and I'll wager also either not dog owners or able to tear themselves away from their pets long enough to go out for a meal, this practice is going to cost more business than it generates. That's their choice and we all know examples of similar poor business practices which have led to the demise of countless restaurants here.

Plenty of other places to eat and there will be two or three new ones next week.

Solution;

You don't like or care for dogs in or around a restaurant, then don't eat there. Very simple. Those of us who do not mind will continue to eat there.

That is exactly what we are doing Purpleflower. earing out less and less. If restaurants want to have your business bringing your dog to eat with you than they will not have ours. Hopefully there is more of you than us to keep them in business. We used to have same arguments with smokers. Go sit some place else if you do not like my smoke while I eat.( If I can get lung cancer so can you). Attitudes are changing slowly in that direction so maybe there is a hope to educate people about hygiene as well.

Archived