Chapala.com Webboard

Are "Dog Friendly" restaurants also "legally" so?

gringal

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When customers are seated in the great outdoors, it becomes part of the restaurant - no dogs and perhaps no donkeys??

The law says "in restaurants", so let us not get carried away. If you're speaking of Yves; there are two issues, both easy for him to solve: The donkeys can both be tied on the side where the tables aren't. The dog that is draped across the entry to the kitchen shouldn't be there. That last one is a real no no, and I'm sure the owner is aware of that. I doubt his business would be ruined if he followed the rules. People go to restaurants for the food, not the wandering pets. He had a good clientele base when his place was on the lake, and the one donkey was tied outside to a tree.

I have talked to 3 different attorneys informally, not under hire, about this, and they haven't a clue. Since they are in/from Guadalajara, they didn't know that this was even a problem and couldn't believe restaurant owners would allow it because of negative business results but thought that there were probably health ordinances against it.

Obviously, this is not a big item in the legal system in Mexico. One mentioned, laughingly, that pet snakes on a leash were definitely prohibited.

I have talked to 3 different attorneys informally, not under hire, about this, and they haven't a clue. Since they are in/from Guadalajara, they didn't know that this was even a problem and couldn't believe restaurant owners would allow it because of negative business results but thought that there were probably health ordinances against it.

Obviously, this is not a big item in the legal system in Mexico. One mentioned, laughingly, that pet snakes on a leash were definitely prohibited.

It sure seems to be a big deal here in doggylandia though. :)

It sure seems to be a big deal here in doggylandia though. :)

It apparently is. It must be a "gringo" thing. Same deal in San Miguel de Allende, where I lived before moving here. The dog thing there was so far over the top that two enthusiasts hired a night club for the evening and had a fully costumed and formal "doggie wedding". I kid you not. I thought it was a regional thing, but it seems that where there are a lot of gringos, it happens.

What did "Big d" think I was going to do with it when and if I got a copy of the rules? Post it here, of course. I'm no fanatic with a "cause".

At most, I'd like to see that the deceptive list of "dog friendly" restaurants be removed altogether and people be made aware of the laws that are being broken. Then the restaurant owners take whatever level of risk they're comfortable with in order to please their customers.

As is the case with the leash law, I doubt that behaviors will change because people are aware of the rules. But, you never know. Hope springs.

Since this is a Mexican law, I believe that we should show respect for our hosts' rules and regulations rather than flaunting them, whether there's an official to check on us, or not. :unsure:

I also leave the dogs at home, where they can't tell total strangers that I only feed them every other day and YES they would love a handout. I wonder if there is a difference between a sidewalk area like Salvador's and a patio where patrons and dogs walk thru the restaurant proper. Just a thought.

That's a really good question. More than a few restaurants around here set up tables on public or semi-public sidewalks. What are the rules for that? Is it "illegal" for the restaurant to serve food in these areas since they are frequented by dogs?

Personally speaking although I'm not real fond of dogs I haven't experienced a dog problem here in a restaurant that was of sufficient concern to make me not eat somewhere. However, if I knew there were dogs OR cats in the kitchen I would avoid that place.

Usually I find those outdoor sidewalk areas are also frequented by smokers and hence I avoid them. Second hand smoke is probably a lot worse for you than the occasional wandering dog. :)

That's a really good question. More than a few restaurants around here set up tables on public or semi-public sidewalks. What are the rules for that? Is it "illegal" for the restaurant to serve food in these areas since they are frequented by dogs?

Usually I find they are also frequented by smokers and hence I avoid them. Second hand smoke is probably a lot worse for you than the occasional wandering dog. :)

Not to rouse political memories here, but when is "in", "in" a restaurant?

Sidewalk cafes that spring forth nightly ? That isn't happening around here, is it? :unsure:

As a former heavy smoker with COPD, my opinion of being around smokers is heavily influenced by my regrets about the past. I do know it's one incredibly difficult habit to break. But......it's worth it if you want to hang around long.

Tio Domingo used to have a roosters, hens and chickens roaming around., never bothered me. The dogs or cats do not bother me either, I do not hav to pet them as I am having dinner.

Some folks do, however.

But, that is not what we are discussing in this particular thread. This is about a thread listing "dog friendly" restaurants which only indicates which restaurants are willing to break the law for the customers who wish to dine with the dogs. Some time ago, the "no smoking" rule was not not often obeyed. As far as I know, Tom's Bar was the last of the holdouts. Things change.

However, do we really know exactly what the law says yet? I thought we were waiting for those specifics. In advance of those it might be premature to guess that the "dog friendly" restaurants on the list in La Cocina are breaking the law.

Seems to me that a chicken running around in a restaurant is rather like a turkey voting for Thanksgiving. :)

A few years back, at a CASA meeting at Min Wah, there was a chicken wandering around the dining area where presentations were being made. Oddly enough, the main dish category was "Chicken" so possibly she was just saying farewell to some old friends.

If the law doesn't state that dogs aren't allowed ANYWHERE in a restaurant, I would hope that nobody would report a restaurant, causing a heavy fine & rather just have a word with the restaurateur. A 50,000 peso fine could be the straw that broke the camel's back. Also, I think it's odd that if the restaurant IS breaking the law, what an opportunity for the government to make a lot of money and why aren't they taking advantage of it? They obviously knew about Rick allowing dogs at Early Bird because he told them & no punishment was meted out.

We should know Monday, one way or the other.

This may be premature, but I'll take Alan Mexicali's word for it when his wife (the 28 year administrator for Secretariat de Salud) said that it is illegal to allow dogs in restaurants, all over Mexico. I did my utmost trying to document this by searching every which way on the Web, without success. Maybe I'm not good enough at it.

I would hope that he chimes in with the words of the law, in which case I'll relay the message.

My guess is that "in" is the operative issue and I doubt that dogs are allowed in the main dining areas, anywhere.

Patios and such may be open to interpretation.

However, someone on here had a appointment to check it out with Spencer, so let's hear what she learned.

This may be premature, but I'll take Alan Mexicali's word for it when his wife (the 28 year administrator for Secretariat de Salud) said that it is illegal to allow dogs in restaurants, all over Mexico. I did my utmost trying to document this by searching every which way on the Web, without success. Maybe I'm not good enough at it.

I would hope that he chimes in with the words of the law, in which case I'll relay the message.

My guess is that "in" is the operative issue and I doubt that dogs are allowed in the main dining areas, anywhere.

Patios and such may be open to interpretation.

However, someone on here had a appointment to check it out with Spencer, so let's hear what she learned.

As far as I know, you're the only one with an appointment. Thank you for doing this.

Marcos is an animal lover. He likes both dogs and cats. He told us he was following what the law says by not allowing dogs in the restaurant. He made it clear that he doesn't want to risk a fine. It has nothing to do with the two great cats who roam through the place.

Lexy

Marcos is an animal lover. He likes both dogs and cats. He told us he was following what the law says by not allowing dogs in the restaurant. He made it clear that he doesn't want to risk a fine. It has nothing to do with great the two cats who roam through the place.

Lexy

Well, cats are "exceptional". Just ask one. ^_^ .

And smart. I'm sure Marcos's cats would know to take cover until he gave them an all-clear signal should the health department darken their doorway.

Come to think of it, I did know someone who regularly showed up in local restaurants with her cat in a basket. So I hope Ginger will check how encompassing a ban is when she speaks with Spencer.

Lexy

Archived