Chapala.com Webboard

Current directions to Tonala

court0503

Hey, you of all people should know that "Mexico" in this context means Mexico City. :)

I do,but the first time I saw one of those signs I gotta kick out of it,still do when I hear Mexicans referring to the capital as Mexico:)

OK. the area has changed a bit from the directions given by some of the other posters. Assuming you want to go to the usual shopping district and not to the heart of Tonala, and assuming you have already made it onto the Mexico city highway and are heading east out of town, then you need to navigate the changes to the highway along the section through Tonala and past Revolution.

You will now need to get off the highway and into the lateral (service road) well ahead of the usual Tonala shopping exit whcih is on Tonaltecas. So, follow the sign for Tonaltecas. It is the same exit for the Central de autobus if that helps. Continue on the lateral even where the road gets quite narrow and it will take you to an overpass that you will want to take to go over the highway. For those readers who may not be aware of this change, there is no longer access to this overpass from the main highway to Mexico City (AKA "Mexico", which is also the highway to Zapotlanejo, Lagos de Moreno and Aguascaliente) . Once you are over the Tonaltecas overpass you will quickly see traffic lights. Start looking for parking around here or drive around a bit to get the lay of the land. Parking is avialbe on side streets and in parking lots maked by an E.

The alternative route is to follow the signs that actually say Tonala from the highway which will lead you to the first exit past the shopping district centered around Tonaltecas. The Tonala exit will take you into Tonala centro in case that is what you actually want. You will know you are at this location if you have to make a weird acute angle u-turn to get onto the road that takes you under the highway - towards a toll booth. If you don't do that weird acute u-turn you will likely get lost somewhere south of the highway. If you do end up here, and you actually wanted the shopping district, make the necesary u-turns to head back the way you came, staying in the lateral beside the highway to avoid paying the toll twice (you may not be able to avoid paying, about 12 pesos if I recall correctly) and follow the lateral until you are back to the Tonaltecas overpass, hang a left there and start looking for parking at the light, as described earlier.

Search "Tonaltecas Tonala" on Google map to have a look at the lay of the land before you go. Make sure to have a look at it in satellite view to see what to expect.

Lucky me,I drive three blocks make a left on Rio Nilo and I'm in Tonala in five minutes.:)

PS,while in Tonala you might want to check out El Cerro de la Reina,good views,interesting cathedral and monuments.

Archived