Chapala.com Webboard

Dog issues

joanne

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A this time of year, we must not forget our origins; especially those who claim that their family arrive on the Mayflower with the pilgrims; those pious ignorants, who came with few provisions and stole resources from the indigenous, who were dying in great numbers from a plague. Not believing that “the savages“ had souls, things did not go well at all. In fact, the pilgrims beheaded at least two of their neighbors, “the savages“, and put their heads on pikes. Somehow, I suspect that it may have been more than two.

Happy Thanksgiving? We invented a myth.....another one.

No argument about some of our ancestors' treatment of the native Americans, which went on long after the original Thanksgiving. Worse yet is the insanity that's become of Christmas. Our local Walmart is so stocked up for the holiday that there's little room left in the aisles for the customers, and this started right after Halloween. Bah, humbug!

From reading the posts, we are very lucky. We live in a Mexican neighborhood on the mountain side of San Juan Cosalà. We have adopted give dogs who only bark to announce visitors. Our neighbors' dogs also bark rarely. A horse traveling dog the street can set off all the dogs along his way, but it's momentary.

We lived in El Parque and the barking was very minimal.

Carol

So you figure that helping dogs precludes helping children? Interesting. I assume then all the people who wouldn't have a dog on a bet are keeping themselves busy volunteering with children.

My experience is more along the lines that people who volunteer and like to help out spread themselves around a bit. Because they're the ones who get off their fannies and walk the talk.

That's not been my experience. What I see is a tremendous amount of time, money and energy going to dogs while the child orphanages and rescue operations are in constant need. I don't see a lot of evidence of the "dog-natics" in these charities.

Even worse, I see the dog obsessed insisting on maintaining dogs that are completely non adoptable, thereby denying space to dogs that might find a home if given a chance and some exposure. Even the humane society knows better than this.

Unfortunately I think the word has gone out among the Mexicans, locals and weekenders, that if they dump their unwanted dogs this is a great place to do it.

Sorry, I just don't get the dog obsession either here or NOB. There are too many dog owners who just don't get it that not everyone loves their obsession or wants it jumping on them or making a constant racket or having to dodge piles when one is walking the public sidewalks. And there is far too much of that these days on both sides of the border.

That's my personal opinion about it, please don't take it personally.

Mainecoons, I agree with you that the owners you describe are obnoxious.

How do you feel about people who do not foist their dogs on others, never allow them to jump on people, always have them leashed in public, whose dogs bark only to alert the owner someone is at the door, keep their dogs inside their house at night, never take their dogs to restaurants, and pick up their dogs poop when out walking?

MC, you hit a raw nerve with me. Personally, I spent a very long career working with children and disadvantaged families. I'm retired, and if that is not the way I choose to spend my time in retirement, I don't have to. I do choose to contribute money, but I put my precious time into animal causes including working in a shelter and in the spay and neuter clinics because that's what I want to do. You choose to put your time into anti graffiti causes. Do people criticize you for that? And say they don't understand why you put your time into that rather than working in an orphanage? I hope not, as it's none of their business what you do. It's your choice. Incidentally, this dog "fanatic" has two (and only two) dogs that have never stepped paw inside a restaurant. I'm tempted to say I don't like cats, but that would just be nasty.

How do you feel about people who do not foist their dogs on others, never allow them to jump on people, always have them leashed in public, whose dogs bark only to alert the owner someone is at the door, keep their dogs inside their house at night, never take their dogs to restaurants, and pick up their dogs poop when out walking?

I don't know about Mainecoons, but I say you are a good example of a civilized dog owner. The same goes for children: It's the parents who are responsible for seeing to it that their kids are "civilized". Good for you, Xena. :unsure:

I feel they are true rarities and much appreciated.

MC, you hit a raw nerve with me. Personally, I spent a very long career working with children and disadvantaged families. I'm retired, and if that is not the way I choose to spend my time in retirement, I don't have to. I do choose to contribute money, but I put my precious time into animal causes including working in a shelter and in the spay and neuter clinics because that's what I want to do. You choose to put your time into anti graffiti causes. Do people criticize you for that? And say they don't understand why you put your time into that rather than working in an orphanage? I hope not, as it's none of their business what you do. It's your choice. Incidentally, this dog "fanatic" has two (and only two) dogs that have never stepped paw inside a restaurant. I'm tempted to say I don't like cats, but that would just be nasty.

We are quite involved with Love In Action.

Why are you so defensive? No one singled you out. We are writing in generalities here.

A lot of people don't like cats. We know some. Cat goes to his room when they come over. Otherwise, cat stays on his own property, doesn't make a bunch of noise and doesn't require a lot of upkeep.

You know the difference between dogs and cats, right? A story will illustrate: Master dies, dog lays down beside him and mourns. Cat comes by, walks around the body and calculates how many meals he will be able to get off of it. :D

WOW - I love the way this has gone from stray dogs and barking to how some can't stand dogs and the needy children are not being helped.

(edited by moderator for rule violation. Please direct your concerns about moderation directly to Admin "chapala" or any one of the moderators.

MC you can take your rule violation and stick it. Get a life.

We are quite involved with Love In Action.

Why are you so defensive? No one singled you out. We are writing in generalities here.

A lot of people don't like cats. We know some. Cat goes to his room when they come over. Otherwise, cat stays on his own property, doesn't make a bunch of noise and doesn't require a lot of upkeep.

You know the difference between dogs and cats, right? A story will illustrate: Master dies, dog lays down beside him and mourns. Cat comes by, walks around the body and calculates how many meals he will be able to get off of it. :D

I'll guess you've heard about how dogs have "masters", while cats have "staff".

I feel they are true rarities and much appreciated.

Are they as rare as you think or is it just that no one ever notices them because they and their dogs are not out there annoying the community? I really do not know the answer to that question.

We volunteer for and give money to the causes we care about, and I admit that after I student taught, I realized I didn't much like kids. I do, however, like dogs. In Mexico. the attitudes toward dogs and pet in general are changing. Remember back when you were a kid, and how much differently we treat our pets today. Attitudes slowly evolve.

I have no patience for dog or cat collectors who pretend to be rescuers but they are in the minority. I think a lot more of us are concerned about our neighbors and how our dog interact with them than you suspect. Most barking dogs I pretty much ignore unless they are clearly in serious stress mode and then I check it out.

Getting back to the OP, yes there are still barking dogs and unless you live in a cave a kilometer or so from anyone else, you will probably hear them

Are they as rare as you think or is it just that no one ever notices them because they and their dogs are not out there annoying the community? I really do not know the answer to that question.

I don't either but I sure see plenty of the former. We do know a few of the latter.

Whenever I see someone using the pooper scooper I make sure to thank them personally for being a good neighbor.

Ironically, barking dogs are not a big problem in our immediate area.

I don't either but I sure see plenty of the former. We do know a few of the latter.

Whenever I see someone using the pooper scooper I make sure to thank them personally for being a good neighbor.

Ironically, barking dogs are not a big problem in our immediate area.

I agree with what you said earlier (somewhere in the forum), basically that we're the cats' pets a lot more than they're ours.

They are so much more intelligent than most dogs (not all, mind) and so much more multi-faceted and interesting than their canine counterparts, having had several dogs and several cats over the years. The affection they give us is genuine vs. the

subserviant affections of most dogs.

With that said, thank you all once again for a very informative thread on the canine conditions at Lakeside. A lot of food for thought, indeed.

A this time of year, we must not forget our origins; especially those who claim that their family arrived on the Mayflower with the pilgrims;

Your comment made me think of the news today from the US President for US Thanksgiving.

OBAMA: Syrian refugees like pilgrims on Mayflower...

It depends on the people also. I have a huge dog that barks behind my house. He is a nice fellow and does his job well. Now he doesn't bother me cause I am use to it but I can see other folks not being able to deal with woof woof woof. To be fair sometimes I am sure he is barking at one of my four cats so I have some blame for his barking. Cats and Dogs each have places for different people and places. Just people are involved also and people are different how they deal with this issue. Also ear plugs solve any noise issue for me but others may not like wearing them. Its noisy here in the village.

Be seeing you

I thank dogs, because when they let us know when somebody is outside....Usually in gated communities the dork bark few times, because there are only neighbors walking and they know each other, of course in open communities dogs bark frequently....in any case, they are helpers.. IMHO.

i live in Chapala and my neighbour -very nice mexican lady has an old english sheep dog --she likes to put the dog on the roof when she works nights and he hollows and cries relentllessly ---sometimes i go out and shoot marbles up at the plastic roof ---sometimes the dog stops for the rest of the night...

Archived