Chapala.com Webboard

Dog issues

joanne

Am considering spending some time at Lake Chapala in the relatively near future. When I was last there, every place I lived seemed to have major dog (mostly barking ) issues. Lots of strays as well IMO.

Have either of these problems gotten any better in recent years? There was (then) seemingly little

recourse to deal with this.

Thank you.

PS- It depends on your neighborhood, I suppose, but just curious about the situation there in general.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mexican people, who are the vast majority here, have different attitudes about dogs and cats than us "foreign devils". A lot depends on different income levels, and how or where they were brought up. The new administration, seems to imply that in general, things have got a little over the top. They are doing something about it but only time will tell. Notice that they made sure the sign sign were in English, as well as a Spanish version of course. Maybe someday they will hire a dogcatcher here and build a pound - but don't count on it.

http://www.theguadalajarareporter.com/index.php/news/news/lake-chapala/47079-chapala-government-promotes-tighter-pet-control

How long ago was it that you were here?

Animal welfare groups and just plain everyday animal lovers have done a great deal to handle and treat the misery of homeless and sick cats and dogs and give them a chance to live happier lives. There are fewer miserable strays than there used to be years ago. However there are barkers and you just might move in next door to one or two.

What exactly is your worry? That strays and/or barking dogs will make your time here unpleasant? Why not plan to go somewhere you'll be sure not to be bothered and inconvenienced.

Lexy

There are 42 dogs living in a two block area around my house. I sleep with the TV turned down low as white noise to block out the barking. It usually works pretty well.

Unless you pick an area to live that has an enforced no barking rule or limit to the number of dogs, Mexican neighborhoods and barking dogs go hand in hand.

I live in downtown Chapala and the incessant barking of dogs is just a way of life here. In any of the villages it will be the same. I would assume that living in the fraccionamientos like Raquet Club or Chula Vista or any of the ones further out from the villages life will be much much more quieter in regards to the barking of dogs or for life in general.

There are 42 dogs living in a two block area around my house. I sleep with the TV turned down low as white noise to block out the barking. It usually works pretty well.

Unless you pick an area to live that has an enforced no barking rule or limit to the number of dogs, Mexican neighborhoods and barking dogs go hand in hand.

Is there such a place that has "an enforced no barking rule or limit to the number of dogs" other than an expensive, super posh

gated community that you are aware of?

Do not bet on "posh" gated community. We rented too winters in mostly expats gated community and the dogs barked day and night there also. Sometimes absent owners leaving their pets to the service people who came to feed them once a day and the dogs(many to one property) cried all night. Quite sad . Felt so sorry for them. Interestingly we are in Mexican community this year (no ex-pat in the sight) and no barking dogs. Cannot say that about roosters though :-) You cannot guarantee anything here, people come and go and so do their pets and businesses. Quiet neighbourhood today might not be there tomorrow and vice versa. Most of us adapt.

I have to edit this note. Spoke too soon. We do have couple of barking dogs in the neighbourhood.

The neighbor to the left of us decided to start collecting stray dogs,she has 14 now,the neighbor in front of us picked up 2 and put them on her roof,the neighbor behind us runs a puppy mill,they all BARK,their owners are all single women of a certain age and they are Mexican and they are nacas and pendejas who have no respect for their neighbors.

I used to like dogs,not anymore..

Anyone who has issues with noise should not consider Mexico as a place tof residence or otherwise. Noise is an intgral part of the wonderful cacophany that is life down here. Love it or leave it.

Tell that to my wife who is Mexican and my neighbors who are also Mexican and dislike all the barking dogs we are surrounded by as much as I do,by the way we were here long before the influx of barkers came in.

Noise is one thing,constantly barking dogs is another.

cbviajero you really have my sympathy. A dog lover I am not. I can't figure out this obsession with an animal that barks constantly, craps everywhere, really is a joke as a burglary preventive and without doubt is a major urban nuisance. But it seems to be the norm in this country, go figure.

What really grates on me is all this energy spent by the expat community on "rescuing" and housing dogs while so many children here are needy. I just don't understand their sense of priorities.

Is there such a place that has "an enforced no barking rule or limit to the number of dogs" other than an expensive, super posh

gated community that you are aware of?

I thought of La Floresta as an example. I'm sure there are other fracc's that enforce dog limits. Le Parque I think has a 2 small dog limit. Not super posh, although that's up to individual interpretation.

Well-trained and properly cared-for dogs do not bark, for longer than a brief moment, and typically only when excited. Dogs left outside all day will learn to bark, and when not trained otherwise, it will become their standard behaviour. It is the irresponsible owners who are to blame, not the dogs.

cbviajero you really have my sympathy. A dog lover I am not. I can't figure out this obsession with an animal that barks constantly, craps everywhere, really is a joke as a burglary preventive and without doubt is a major urban nuisance. But it seems to be the norm in this country, go figure.

What really grates on me is all this energy spent by the expat community on "rescuing" and housing dogs while so many children here are needy. I just don't understand their sense of priorities.

Well said, Mainecoons. Cats make MUCH better companions, far less bother. I can't figure why anyone would want a creature that basically just barks, eats, sleeps and deficates( and is a lot of bother even in the rare instances that it does behave IMO.)

Very good, informative answers to my post/thread. Sounds pretty much status quo for the dog situation. Thank you all who participated.

Well-trained and properly cared-for dogs do not bark, for longer than a brief moment, and typically only when excited. Dogs left outside all day will learn to bark, and when not trained otherwise, it will become their standard behaviour. It is the irresponsible owners who are to blame, not the dogs.

There is an element of truth here, especially about the owners who are to blame. Good, caring, dilligent owners frequently have properly behaved dogs, some of which make fairly decent pets.

I wish I had encountered more of the aforementioned "dilligent owners" when I lived there full time. The barking/stray situation was outrageous with little to no recourse to have anything done about it.

Prolonged exposure to dog barking can actually create serious health problems in humans over time due to the body's frequent production of adrenaline due to the "fight or flight" response. Some of us are more sensitive to it than others, I'm told.

Yeah,but they usually don't bark at every passersby or at 4 in the morning for no reason at all!

Yeah, but remember that a lot of people here keep dogs as watch dogs. They want them to bark at passersby and even encourage them. And 4 in the morning, usually if you listen closely there are dogs barking far away that you might barely hear, but the dog next door has to sing back to them. It all makes sense to the dogs.

Archived