Chapala.com Webboard

Old issue obviously never resolved

GeckoGretchen - you don't have to travel all the way to Jocotepec if you want to experience an "alternate reality". Just visit Hotel Perfico for a weekend, week or a month. http://www.hotelperico.com.mx/en/

Only ten minutes away. It is not a sterile "retreat" - there are dogs, and often kids. It is a place of peace, nature and happiness. Not a mating ground of predominately young males, stomping around, prancing their "stunned pigeon" mating dances, to an audience that is simply not interested and since they decided to involve the whole neighborhood, mostly annoyed with their acoustic intrusions. Before I am accused of being a "no fun" geezer, remember than when the Beatles played Shea Stadium, they only had single Vox amplifiers.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some good points!

Harry, why is the Chapala government issuing permits for events that go into illegal hours at obviously illegal noise levels? This practice started with the previous regime, will the new one put a stop to it? The gov doesn't know unless someone tells them No one says that they are going to violate the law when they apply for a permit

Why are these events apparently being pushed into Ajijic? When kids say they are going to Ajijic, the parents say OK because they know it is safe

Do you expect said enforcement officers to respond at midnight on a Sunday night? How is one supposed to find said enforcement officers at these times? It is pretty dicey to get the cops to come out at these times.Enforcement is 24 hours, the cops will call them and if they don't they are in trouble. Enforcement has the power to shut down any event (except religious)

Do you expect said enforcement officers to go up against what appears to be a deliberate policy of encouraging and permitting Rave type events in Ajijic?See first answer

How about giving the folks a step by step guide for dealing with this kind of thing when it actually occurs, late at night and usually on weekends. Maybe we could organize some sort of training session for volunteers who are willing to confront these events.Good Idea! Any volunteers?

BTW I do have a sound meter with the correct settings for measuring noise violations and will make it available as needed if a reliable process for getting enforcement response can be found. I've already offered to host a meeting of the affected to get started.

Harry is right that posting on this board isn't going to put a stop to this. Frankly, I'm skeptical that anyone will come out to enforce the noise laws in this municipio but am here to help organize petitions, protests and attempts to get enforcement. We won't know until we try. I am sure that LCS would host a meeting with the Delegado, licencing official and the enforcement official. I am now the Civil Protection Community Liaison and can assure their attendance. We did this with the previous admin. The current officials may not even know the federal noise law exists as they are new in their jobs. I do know that the previous enforcement crew received training in noise law enforcement.

Noise blight like what is going on here increasingly seemingly with the blessing of the Chapala government is just audio graffiti of the worst kind and I'm here to help fight it. Contact me via PM.

BTW I am in the US until the 30th. After the first I would be happy to work on a meeting with community reps and Chapala officials. I can not file a complaint for someone else. The injured parties must do it. I am available to assist. There hasn't been a violation at the malecon amphitheater since I threatened a denuncio.

Yes, as always thanks to Harry for a great post.

I'm ready to organize a meeting at my place with Harry to begin with to come up with a strategy to start attacking this problem at the source. I'll be at the beach next week but after I return and Harry is back, how about a get together at my place?

PM me with your name and contact information and I'll set it up.

I'm ready to organize a meeting at my place with Harry to begin with to come up with a strategy to start attacking this problem at the source. I'll be at the beach next week but after I return and Harry is back, how about a get together at my place?

Can I bring my dog?

The reason nothing is done about it is that there are only a few gringos who post about everything on this board want things their way..
If you go to these events they are usually packed.. ... With gringos....

(edited to remove rule violation, If you have a personal complaint about board moderation address it via PM to any moderator or Admin)

If indeed no one cares enough about being blasted after 1AM with overamplified noise other than gringos, you are probably right. Early in the thread it was indicated that Mexicans who have to go to work on Mondays aren't at all pleased with this situation.

We'll see if any of them show up or are brought by others when the time comes.

If this is only a few disgruntled expats, I doubt that anyone will pay attention to them.

I designed my letter to the Mayor and delivered it yesterday. I spoke to a few Mexicans and they told me another "rave" will occur again this coming Sunday as far as they know. I don't expect a few "gringos" will change anything either, but it seems pro active to remind those in charge that their rules are being broken. If you are not affected it is just another complaint. We ARE affected and we are trying to make it right somehow. Living close to our bull ring in Ajijic really does not mean that we need to endure raves from Guadalajara, or wherever they are from. I love hearing, and attending some the events there, they are fun. Raves are the actual definition of BULLIES. People who have no respect for anything but taking its audiences to the brink of a frenzy in order to make a few pesos. If Ajijic wants to support such things then it needs to be reminded it cannot support what it already has if this is the case. I only came to this board to hear from part of the community and see what the general consensus might be. Our poor world is facing far worse issues right now, this is just petty in the scheme of things, but we need to be able to voice our dismay when we are dismayed!!! Thank you for letting me do this.

It was/is my understanding that the Mexican Constitution grants the right of petition ONLY to Mexican Citizens by birth or naturalization. The course of action suggested is, I thought/think, or can be viewed as a political action subject to deportation. I think too that if this same action was carried out in the US or Canada by a group of foreigners they would face, or could, a similar action. Perhaps this could be interpreted, in lay terms, as when in a foreign country let the issues be resolved by its citizens and not by foreigners no matter how well intended.

I believe that applies to matters political not to requests for services or law enforcement from local government. There have been quite a number of these previously around here. This question has been raised before here and addressed by those in a position to know.

For example when we had that outbreak of local crime problems a couple years back, petitions were circulated, expats met with local officials, and there was even an organized "crimestopper" type of effort led by the expat community.

Asking local government to enforce Mexican laws and abate a noise nuisance is not the same as engaging in partisan politics as I understand it.

People living around the nuisance need to split the work and go from door to door with a petition, th more signature the better and then go present it to city hall. but as Harry say go with the most info possible regarding the local police being called not doing anything, get names , serial numbers, get the decibel numbers. and s

o on, the more you have the better you will be and pitch in and get a lawyer to write the letter and help you.

It is not politicl, we did the same thing in San Cristobal when we had no water for a month and everyone signed foreigners and Mexican , it is an issue that affects everyone. By the way if city Hall is issueing permits the only thing you can do is go to city hall to complain and if they do not do anything use the Mexican press.

LOL. This entire discussion is a riot. Really cannot believe some gringos think they're going to stop music at the bullring on Sunday nights. On November 8, it was only the biggest banda in all of Mexico playing at the bullring, Banda El Limón. And on Sunday I think the entire town was at the bullring for the town's fiestas by the looks of it. And y'all want to send a couple cop cars to tell 'em that they're being bullies? I would suggest what's already been said -- don't move in next to a concert venue if you don't want to hear concerts.

I'm assuming you'll be back this morning realizing that the real racket, once again at the Lenzo Charro, didn't start until some hours after your post and was louder than ever. And went into the late hours on Sunday, a school night, once again.

It was so loud our bed vibrated and we could literally hear not just the boom boom but the rest of it too. This represents a new high or low depending on whether you're talking volume or the thuggery of over amplified music abuse that has taken this town over just since we moved here 8 years ago.

Some of you may not know that our schools run on two shifts and half the kids have to get up at very early hours to make the first shift. It is totally inappropriate to allow these outsiders to come in and run one Rave type event after another on Sunday nights at that venue which is surrounded on three sides by people's homes.

Claiming this is somehow "Mexican culture" is nonsense. This is acoustic assault for profit and this community has been singled out for it because they've been run out of other places like GDL.

It should be pretty evident by now that our community is being targeted for these types of events with at minimum the complicity of the Chapala government. If the Mexican and expat community doesn't start fighting back, this is just going to continue to escalate.

I guess the word LIVID describes everyone in the neighbourhood. And nobody responds to noise complaints in case anyone thinks that would work. I guess we just put this up to Bullies Prosper. I don't know anyone who attended the later part of the show, the LOUD part so I cannot ask for a guess on the number of people interested in attending these things. The first part was fine, it was just good Mexican music played at a level that allowed everyone to appreciate it. The last part of the evening was nothing more than HUGE bass causing windows to rattle and life was ugly until 1:30 am I truly do not know why anyone likes that kind of noise.. the music may have been semi good if they played it at proper levels, Perhaps their DJ's need lessons. I always hope the amps would blow up, but they never do. And then there is the duration rules, broken once again. Not much more I can say except that we will be GONE next year for these few weeks. Spending our money elsewhere. Both tour companies do good business taking hoardes out to the beaches for this noise assault week. Mazamitla would be fun, or a quiet retreat into the hills across the lake. Fiddle Dee Dee. I am feeling like the loser.

Archived