Chapala.com Webboard

Old issue obviously never resolved

i recently posted about extremely high music noise thursday night.seems it comes from wings army who have a big music night last thursday of every month.i will willingly support any petiton and or accompany anyone to the municipio to get the sound levels decreased to a reasonable limit according to the law.The noise Thursday was intolerable and i live in la floresta area.some distance from the venue.this has nothing to do with local fiestas or culture, we cant and dont want to change that, but only ask that these businesss respect the law and other peoples lives

p.m. me if you need my support.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone ever thought that the reason these events continue is that the MAJORITY of the people in this town want them to. From what I see posted about this subject it's the same ten disgruntled gringos always posting. If you go to these events you will see that they are attended by hundreds of people.. Adelita's is sold out every Monday night, very very busy on Friday nights....in fact anytime there is music the place is packed. La Bodaga busy on music nights, Wings Army packed on Thursday night... The event in the Bull Ring drew hundreds of people maybe even over a thousand to that event.. So ten against hundreds.... Doesn't compute...

P.S. I live in upper La Floresta so I do hear some of the events..

i doubt its the majority of citizens who go to these venues, they are too old for it. adelitas and la bodega really are not the problem and seem to respect the laws. but apparently the open venues as being discussed do not adhere to the decibel maximums.This is all i ask.

Also, not everybody posts on these forums, or even reads them. If there is a noise level and time limit law on the books, it wasn't created by old gringos.

It's a Mexican law and there's no good reason why Ajijic should be an exception for enforcement of it.

It's a Mexican law and there's no good reason why Ajijic should be an exception for enforcement of it.

There is an excellent reason not to enforce it.

Money!

Enforcing it will loose some people all the profits they make now. Mexican fiestas start late and end late as a general rule.

If you read previous posts on this subject you will see Adelita's is mentioned, also La Bodaga is a frequent target of the gringo noise police.

My point was that it seems to be the same ten or less that complain about the noise (And just about everything else) against the hundreds who attend these events..

Does anyone know for sure if there are bylaws, and if there are what are they..? My understanding is that bylaws are specific to each town/City so a bylaw in Guadalajara is not enforceable here in Ajijic.

I recall a couple of years ago the gringo noise police running around the bars with their iPhones using some decibel level app they had downloaded from the Internet.. The bar patrons were laughing at them....they thought it was hilarious.... I guess what ? Not one thing has changed..

Why is that...? Could it be that the hundreds who attend these events don't want it to...

If Chapala is ignoring noise pollution violations, they are ignoring FEDERAL law, written in Mexico City, not by gringos. If they continue to defy this Federal law, and select only the Federal laws they want to follow, they will be cut off from Federal funds - which are essential and substantial. The Federal governement, upon the advice of national and international experts, has determined that noise pollution a serious, and credible health hazard and also has severe environmental consequences.

Its real simple. People used to sit around bars and smoke - now they can't. People used to sit around bars and listen to loud music - now they can't. The venue has to be soundproofed so that it does not "leak" out, or located way outside of town where leakage will not disturb anyone. This has been the norm in Canada and the U.S. since the mid-nineties.

I doubt that chapala actually are aware of the problem.has anyone been to complain ? i will willing go with others as i previously mentioned and at least bring it to their attention. do we still have a local committee that meets with the new presidente or was that abandoned after the elections ?

wether it does any good remains to be seen, but just complaining about it on a web board does no good at all.

The new mayor has to know that IF, that is an IF, the municipal employee in charge of issuing eventos and environmental violations is accepting mordida, then the whole of Chapala will suffer. Or, the cynic may note, maybe the Mayor will take over this department as his own! Remember Jalisco shut down the Chapala driver's license office because of persistent corruption, now its very incovenient to go into Guadalajara. Remember the Feds had the power to shutdown and force the removal of that illegal bridge/extension of the malecon.

I am sure all the correct permits have been issued, especially with wings army, as there is a big police presence ,just to control the kids. no problem.. however its the noise issue that concerns me. its way way above the permitted level.and should be brought to the attention of the guy that issues the permits. I am not asking them to stop it , far from it, just bloddy turn it down ! ( or point the speakers at upper la floresta ! )

I have to agree that the venues with loud music, located close to residences and large residential communities, after midnight, should definitely be investigated, warned, fined, and then closed. Keep records of when and to who you made a complaint. Some people moved into homes, before a loud music venue opened or began with the loud music. I can cite two that came up long after I bought my house twelve years ago. I just wear earplugs.

However, what some are calling "raves" (which did occur on the soccer field down by the lake a few years ago and was illegally licensed) are NOT. A famed Banda playing at the Lienzo Charro is not a rave, it is a concert venue amongst other things. A Sunday night is not unusual. Every young person on my privada...from 16 to 30 (and a lot of elders too), were at the Sunday night Banda concert. Concerts at the bullring are not at all uncommon....where else would you suggest, to fit in the many? That they don't occur that often there is fine. The concert came on the tail end of the fiesta patronal....San Andres.

A famed Banda playing at the Lienzo Charro is not a rave...

Thank you.

While the music last night was definitely loud, it wasn't anything like a rave. No rave would ever end as early as 1 am. Anybody using that terminology, or even "rave-like", doesn't know what one is. The only time this area has ever had anything that would qualify as a rave is the event you mentioned, a couple of years ago on the west side of Ajijic at the soccer field. And yes, that would have drawn people from Guadalajara and elsewhere. Last night's music from the Charro ring just sounded like typically festive (and LOUD) Mexican music, all a normal part of the Fiestas.

Last night at my house in upper central Ajijic, I could hear both the music from the Plaza and the Lienzo Charro battling it out at the same time. It was like the perfect storm. jajajaja.

From the Urban Dictionary: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Rave

n. An organized underground party involving music and dancing. Raves typically involve one or more DJs playing electronic dance music such as techno, trance, breakbeat, jungle, and ambient. Usually starting after dusk and lasting through 'til dawn, drug use at raves often runs rampant; particularly the use of Ecstasy and LSD. Raves can vary greatly in size and scope, hosting from dozens to thousands of guests, and lasting from one night to a few days.

Despite all the complaints here i am surprised and somewhat disappointed that no one has either contacted me to go to the municipio or arrange a petition which was muted. If its not brought to the attention of the authorities they wont do anything about it..It appears that the problem is not as bad as it seems as not one of the posters can be bothered to do anything.. no more complaints in that case !!

Barcelonaman - your governmental clout in this country is measured by how many votes you can deliver and how much revenue you can deliver to their coffers. Property taxes are so minimal that they are probably not worth collecting. So until foreigners, or even permanent residents, get to vote:

As the Borgs said:

We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. (Star Trek: First Contact)

FICKLEPIE.... just for your info I am not a gringo! and why should we just sit back and let this rave routine take over...

GG - many of us, not all, think of anyone non-Mexican as gringos. We mean no harm. You seem either defensive or proud of some other heritage so when you write "we" what's up? Curious because many posters write as if on behalf of a myriad of Mexicans who hate the noise. It doesn't seem to me this board is utilized much by native, not naturalized, Mexicans. Just trying to figure out the perspective of this topic.

Barcelonaman - your governmental clout in this country is measured by how many votes you can deliver and how much revenue you can deliver to their coffers. Property taxes are so minimal that they are probably not worth collecting. So until foreigners, or even permanent residents, get to vote:

As the Borgs said:

We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. (Star Trek: First Contact)

I believe it is just the "Borg" as it is a collective noun....

I can get these guys to play here for cheap - I mean REAL cheap. Probably could afford every night for 2 weeks. Tubas, accordians, violins all the things that Banda music lovers want. Just have to rent a mega sound system now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C04TKCce8s

It turns out this is a cover version of this Borg original. Ironically, these guys are real expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDbWa4Jeens

Nobody is talking about the music itself, are they?

It's about the volume and the hours, eh?

People keep referring to these concerts as "raves"...which they are not. The fact that they shut it down at 1:30 a.m. would indicate that they are complying with the local noise ordinance regarding hours. I don't how loud these concerts were but I'm sure they qualify as "eventos," which are allowed a 100dB volume under the federal noise law.

People keep referring to these concerts as "raves"...which they are not. The fact that they shut it down at 1:30 a.m. would indicate that they are complying with the local noise ordinance regarding hours. I don't how loud these concerts were but I'm sure they qualify as "eventos," which are allowed a 100dB volume under the federal noise law.

Alex -- did you even bother to read through the entire thread of this? And now you say: "I don't know how loud these concerts were..." and then, "but I'm sure they qualify..." Why are YOU even interrupting this extremely serious thread/post about something you just admitted you don't know about, but have a certainty about the holders of these eventos? Get off this thread, you ridiculous, admittedly ignorant-of-the-situation, person. I live close by the Charro. I have for 11 years. NEVER in those 11 years have we experienced such an assault of public drunken NOISE, escalated by insanely giant speacker technology. The announcers are two increasingly drunken $%&/()s screaming and hooting into megaphones directed into giant speakers. This is not "Mexican Culture" This is an excuse for public drunkenness, and belligerent idiocy for money, that is an actual physiological assault on ANY human within 6 blocks of them. Babies are having anxiety attacks. Kids are so exhausted they can't concentrate in school the next day. People have to get to work early and are exhausted. YOU GET OFF this conversation that you admittedly know NOTHING about, and go do something productive for your community.

Spoke with the Director of the new Expat office today and filled her in on the issue and the past history. I advised her that there was going to be an organizational meeting to which i will invite her. Her intention is to be of help. Anyone who says that this administration will not be receptive to the expat community is clearly out of touch.

Three community Liaisons have been appointed. I represent Civil Protection (Dual citizen) and have been duly sworn in. i can deal with any issue affecting the common good. Sheila Graham (dual citizen, I believe)a nurse and hospital administrator will cover the medical area. Doug Scrimgeour (Canadian) will be on the police committee.

Dan offered to host said meeting, lets get going.

We need area representatives who will cover the hot spots and be prepared to follow through. I'll represent the malecon/amphitheatre. Who will cover charros ring, Plaza Bouganvillas, others?

Archived